Leading Thai doctor says the Covid stats can't be trusted

webfact

5 hours ago, GeorgeEboy said:

Too many people with a vested financial want things open too fast. 

Yea, let’s see starve to death, lose your livelihood, and commit suicide, like so many have, or ride out a virus with a 99.9 survival rate. 

friend went to the doctor for seasonal allergies which he gets every year, found out it’s not allergies its covid!  Everything is covid. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, cclub75 said:

Me too.

As i wrote before : look at "serious conditions" and "ventilators" patients....

Since end of june (so almost 2 months), the daily increase in % has decelerated, constantly... and now (since a few days) is in negative territory.

forget "cases" stats". We all know it's BS.

So from the hospitals point of view (real ones, not "hospitels" BS)... the wave is clearly GOING DOWN.

It doesn't mean it can't go up again. But the evolution is looking good.

And that seems to be Delta variant's pattern in other countries. Quick rise in infections but overall infection fatality rate is much lower. Fast spread leads to more natural immunity and starts to reduce cases dramatically. 

• Haha 1

Well I certainly can agree with this leading doctor.  The stats in Thailand seem to have a lot fewer 

deaths compared with a couple other Asian countries. I doubt that the hospitals were able to save more people from dying since COVID began, than other                   near by Asian countries.   Plus my Thai relatives who work at hospitals,

have always told me that there was plenty of face saving at the start of this pandemic, and they were told to put cause of death as 

one of the lung diseases, and pneumonia instead of COVID 19.  I have no reason to believe that my relatives would be lying to

me, but I do doubt the Thai government and their total honesty.  Just saying.

Geezer

• Thanks 2

IMO the best way to assess Covid deaths is to look at the level of excess deaths in the country compared to a normal year. Other factors may affect it but i guess road deaths are down with fewer people travelling. As at 31.7.21 this was 25% above normal.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr Thira Woratanarat went on his personal Facebook page to suggest that the figures for Covid-19 infections and deaths do not reflect reality.

Now that's what I call a bombshell!

Who would've ever imagined?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Strange that there is circ 20k cases a day, maybe that's the max testing available

Strange, that's exactly what people said when it was stuck at around 2,000 cases for a while, then when it was 3,000, then 4,000.

It wasn't true then because in each case, it subsequently went higher, so I'm not sure why it should be true now.

23 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Once 70% of the population is finally vaccinated and everything starts to open up then the number of recorded cases will skyrocket.

So in my humble opinion it is time to move on from publishing daily infection numbers and start giving us honest figures relating to how many have died and how many have been vaccinated.

Yes that's a good idea but lets make sure that the cause of death is actually Covid and not the nail in the Coffin from a critically ill person and Covid pushed them over the edge!! Those in the upper age brackets with serious pre-existing conditions should be recorded separately. 

• Confused 1

Better to lie than lose face (Thai Culture 101): The boys in khaki have made such a mess of this pandemic that they have no choice but to fiddle the books to maintain some semblance of face.

Follow the money:  Everything bar kidnapping tourists and forcing them to come to Thailand has been tried in order to bring in the cash (see TAT ludicrous projections and plots) and failed.

These two themes alone are enough for me to believe the good doctor' claims.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the strategy of Thailand seems to be protect the Civil Servants and try to hide their incompetence rather than protect the people by being open and honest and admitting mistakes and publishing the vaccination strategy with timelines. Basically because the incompetent civil servants are appointed because of their expensive education or family connections rather than the ability to do the job. They have no understanding of 'Praxis' the ability to get Talk into action probably spend most of their time in meetings with no outcomes other than to set up another meeting or form a new committee to 'investigate'

2 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Thailand has a larger population than the UK, less testing and fewer decent vaccines. No surprise that the virus is still an unsolved problem here.

only 3 million more so similair size, also the uk has an more aged population - due to a more advanced healthcare system, so more of the population in the 'at risk' cohort and therefore needing vaccine

• Like 2