Official Copy of Driving Record in Thailand

Hi,

After many years of driving in Thailand I'm in the process of getting a driver's license in Europe, and I'm told that an official copy of my driving record in Thailand is suggested for a reasonable insurance rate.

My wife called the Land Transport office, but no one there had any idea what she was referring to.  Apparently it caused quite the conversation among the women working in the office, but in the end there was no progress.

Has anyone here attempted to get an official copy of their Thai driving record for another country?  If so, please advise me on how to proceed.

Thanks!  ????

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, it has.

Same way as in other countries,  the UK, for example, for those convicted of driving offences while unlicenced.

Please explain how it works here, and in UK for unlicenced drivers.

I read a good while back that here they will DEDUCT points from your licence, and when all 12 are gone, they will be renewed.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The OPS point is that they want to be able to offer a 'safe driving record to a potential insurer in the UK in the hope of getting a reduced premium. The usual way to achieve this is to provide a letter of 'no claims' from a past insurer.

I suggest you tell the OP that because if he had been driving here he can get a letter from the insurance company for couple of hundred baht.

I have to say though as usual not a lot of information about what OP intends to do.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, it has.

Same way as in other countries,  the UK, for example, for those convicted of driving offences while unlicenced.

Are you sure it’s been introduced ?
The last I read was the police were still arguing with the DLT.

I thought it had gone the same way as the digital licences which the police wouldn’t agree with.

When I recently renewed the car tax my wife asked the question and all we got were blank stares.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, it has.

Please explain how it works here, and in UK for unlicenced drivers.

I read a good while back that here they will DEDUCT points from your licence, and when all 12 are gone, they will be renewed.

I didn't say that I knew how it works forensically, I do know, though, that there is a system to cover those situations.  I believe that in the UK unlicenced drivers accumulating points have those points on their record so that they can be added to any new licence they apply for.

I think the Thai system starts with 12 points and each offence does deduct a specific number, as you said, until there are none left then the licence is suspended.   Presumably, when the licence is reinstated, i.e. the suspension has finished, the licence has the full points ready to be deducted from for any further offences.

I could be wrong, though, I was once before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The OPS point is that they want to be able to offer a 'safe driving record to a potential insurer in the UK in the hope of getting a reduced premium. The usual way to achieve this is to provide a letter of 'no claims' from a past insurer.

A no-claims bonus is nothing to do with your driving record. There is a NCB identified on a Thai insurance policy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He must be right, then.   Perhaps. 

"TIAN"?   What the floosie does that mean?

This is Asean Now as opposed to TIT = This is Thailand. 555

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The OPS point is that they want to be able to offer a 'safe driving record to a potential insurer in the UK in the hope of getting a reduced premium. The usual way to achieve this is to provide a letter of 'no claims' from a past insurer.

I think that the OP's point is that he wants to be able to show he has no adverse record of driving offences because he is going to be issued a new, virgin licence, NCBs don't prove that although they help.

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He must be right, then.   Perhaps. 

"TIAN"?   What the floosie does that mean?

This is Asan Now as opposed to TIT = This is Thailand. 555

What the floosie is "Asan Now" [sic]?  555.   

TIJSIMUTNOU.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

When my now ex and I moved back to the US/California, she obtained her DL but had to take the written test as well as do a driving test even though she had and was still licensed here in Thailand.  The insurance company only accepted her 10 years of driving as having been driving for 1 and the insurance rates for the car I had increased as long as she was driving it.  I always keep my license valid for the states even though I live here, it has been easy to renew on-line, but I am sure when I turn 62 and my current license expires I will have to go into a DMV and take a vision test as well as a new written.  Insurance companies are another creature all to themselves.....wish the OP well and hope he gets it sorted.  My Ex could never get Thailand to give her proof of being licensed like you can in the States.

When I moved back to the UK with the missus we applied for insurance. My wife did her driving test here ( she'd been driving for 15 years in Thailand  & I was on her license for many). They didn't give her any discount or recognition of driving - we were explicitly told they didn't recognise Thai insurance/driving records, only records since she passed her UK test.

I had had a full no claims for many years in the UK before I left, they gave me 2 yrs no claims based on the length of time I'd had a license I believe and telling them my last no claims was max.

I approached usual insurers AA,RAC,Addmiral,Direct Line etc. and they were all similar in their approach,

You can probably negotiate a two years discount but no more in my experience.

P.S. To add her onto my insurance when I was teaching her on her provisional the cost was relatively small - can't remember exactly but about £40 on a new Ford Fiesta ( they wouldn't insure her on my Mini Copper  convertible.. )

Edited by Pmbkk

On 8/25/2021 at 4:05 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

I didn't say that I knew how it works forensically, I do know, though, that there is a system to cover those situations.  I believe that in the UK unlicenced drivers accumulating points have those points on their record so that they can be added to any new licence they apply for.

I think the Thai system starts with 12 points and each offence does deduct a specific number, as you said, until there are none left then the licence is suspended.   Presumably, when the licence is reinstated, i.e. the suspension has finished, the licence has the full points ready to be deducted from for any further offences.

I could be wrong, though, I was once before.

There is a magnetic strip on the rear side of the DL. I have never experienced it being used.....