Rescued turtle’s stomach clogged with plastic waste

webfact

1629860127_1-org.jpg

The turtle is slowly getting better in care at the centre. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

By Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: More than 300 pieces of trash, mostly plastic, have been recovered from the faeces of a green sea turtle rescued from Kata Beach last month, now in care at the Sireetarn Marine Endangered Animals Rescue Center based on Cape Panwa, Wichit.

The turtle, weighing three kilograms and 28 centimeters long, was found by a local resident on July 23 and taken to the centre, explained Pathompong Jongjit, a marine biologist at the center, which operates as part of the Phuket Marine Biologicial Center under the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR).

“On that day, it looked exhausted. From x-rays taken we could see that its digestive tract was clogged with trash,” Mr Pathompong told The Phuket News yesterday (Aug 24).

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/rescued-turtle-stomach-clogged-with-plastic-waste-81172.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-08-25

• Sad 5

"Examination of one instance, last Thursday (Aug 19), saw 191 pieces of trash weighing 67g being identified, Mr Pathompong noted.

“The trash was 49% plastic fibers, 19% soft plastic, 16% hard plastic, 10% from plastic bags, 4% from plastic bottles and 2% sack fibres,”  he said."

sorry, I cant help myself, what a crappy job that must have been

Edited by poskat

32 minutes ago, peleid said:

I can believe it. I was once sat eating food on a beach in Thailand with my Thai wife, there was a foreigner stood waste deep in the sea just walking up and down, curiosity got the better of me, I went to see what he was doing, he was clearing plastic bags, there were absolutely loads of them, I could not believe it, they were buried in the sand, he explained he came down everyday, I helped for about 30 minutes and went back to my wife

Had she finished all the somtam & chicken?

• Haha 1