Locals hit out at Miami inspired beautification of Pattaya

webfact

11 hours ago, ben2talk said:

My son (9 years old) said - wow, looks hot!!!!

Maybe a sign that he's far more intelligent than Thai Authorities (not that we needed any confirmation on this front).

Surely a scam, everyone going to the beach huddles under the trees - unless they're paying to sit at tables.

Yeah yeah. Last I checked, palm trees do offer some shade.

Typical changes. People probably whinged when they planted the trees there 50 years ago

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ronster said:

Pretty low aspiration if trying to look like Miami !

One of the biggest overrated dumps I have ever been to . ????

Many well travelled Thais take design inspiration from around the world, nothing wrong in that................................. A prime example is Palm Springs resort in Chiang Mai for any that know it..............................................I don't know Miami well, only visited the city in the early 90's but I love the art deco hotel styling, neon and palms (elements of scarface in there somewhere!)...................It's always possible that town planners have similar aspirations/visions for the beach road.............ocean drive miami beautiful streets WIDE

8 minutes ago, bojo said:

Many well travelled Thais take design inspiration from around the world, nothing wrong in that................................. A prime example is Palm Springs resort in Chiang Mai for any that know it..............................................I don't know Miami well, only visited the city in the early 90's but I love the art deco hotel styling, neon and palms (elements of scarface in there somewhere!)...................It's always possible that town planners have similar aspirations/visions for the beach road.............ocean drive miami beautiful streets WIDE

Wonder if they will ship in the coke heads , dealers , beggars and prostitutes for the authentic Miami vibe !

Shouldnt be hard to find here I imagine ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, bojo said:

Pattaya HAD the most beautiful beach promenade I had ever seen anywhere in the world......It was magnificent......

Their new vision is not Miami beach or anywhere like that.....Their new vision is closer to a strip mall shopping center parking lot (empty desolate, and void of life or art)......Hey they even already got the soulless overhead stadium lighting installed......

Now they are in the process of getting rid of the last remaining plants and trees.....And the transformation will be complete.......

And no Palm trees do not count as trees....They provide no shade, and all have a boring generic sameness....But I guess Palm trees are perfect for their parking lot vision....   

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Someone (maybe on this forum, so all credit to you) said the aim was to reduce the availability of free shade and seating, forcing people to rent seats and sunshades from the traders on the beach.

Sounds plausible?

I thought that the initial removal of seating areas years ago was to prevent ladyboys from hanging out.

These chair sales are additional benefits. Do the men in brown get a cut?

Heaven forbid they should make make the area pleasant for tourists to relax and enjoy. Tourists might actually come and spend money.  I assume the rich tourists they want would expect comfort while just taking a break from spending their money. And socialize amongst themselves. Maybe the rich tourists don't want to get their white shoes dirty on the beach while they relax for 30 minutes. The government should think of it as a park along the ocean. But there I go again, thinking like a Westerner.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 4:43 AM, webfact said:

A Facebook post by Ponthep Meunpong said that the mayor had said that the old trees deposited branches in the wind that fell down causing the municipal authority to have to collect them continually.

in other words were too lazy to do that.    gotta be the laziest nation on the planet without doubt

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Where's it coming from?  We know where it's going to.

I posted this a few days ago on another thread about the same thing, hopefully it'll answer your question. ????

For those that don't know, the funds ( according to the mayor ) came from a conglomerate involved in the Eastern Economic Corridor, some from central government as well apparently, so according to Mr Mayor it was not the city's money in the first place to spend where it wanted ie the starving & homeless, as so many people demanded.

The large shade trees that were removed, although having been in situ for about 30 years were trees common to Thailand, but were a softwood variety & were considered a danger to people during storms and high winds as large bits were known to break off.

So there you have it, I'm not saying I agree with it, just stating facts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I posted this a few days ago on another thread about the same thing, hopefully it'll answer your question. ????

For those that don't know, the funds ( according to the mayor ) came from a conglomerate involved in the Eastern Economic Corridor, some from central government as well apparently, so according to Mr Mayor it was not the city's money in the first place to spend where it wanted ie the starving & homeless, as so many people demanded.

The large shade trees that were removed, although having been in situ for about 30 years were trees common to Thailand, but were a softwood variety & were considered a danger to people during storms and high winds as large bits were known to break off.

So there you have it, I'm not saying I agree with it, just stating facts.

Thank you.