Legal for employer to force workers to vaccinate?

Trujillo

22 hours ago, Trujillo said:

A Thai friend of mine says that her boss has ordered all employees at his chain restaurant in a mall here in Chiang Mai to be vaccinated or else be docked 400 baht/week. 

I'm pretty sure this is illegal, but what say you? 

Seems to be the trend many places...

IMG20210812_Makro-vax_1024.jpg.ffb3ba781048e35b2a9895ab0a0fde45.jpg

If a staff member is not vaccinated, the employer might need ongoing negative Covid-tests for that staff member, so fair enough to deduct from the salary, if that's the case.

If a person in a customer-facing role refuses to get vaccinated then, IMO, they have dismissed themselves.  The employer has a duty of care to his customers and having safe staff falls within that.

However, I don't think someone should be penalised if they're TRYING to get vaccinated, but can't.  Sent home yes, but with some wages and a job to come back to once vaccinated

In an ideal world.  Which this isn't.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

and any restaurant that if found to be infected with covid should also have its licence removed and fined, for allowing their staff to transmit this deadly virus 

And how are they "Allowing" their staff to spread Covid ?

Vaccine will not stop it. Maybe remove all the people from said restaurant - staff and customers.

Bad for business that

• Like 2

So what would happen if really fat people (obese) were unable to gain employment because their chance of having an emergency episode was far greater than a fit person and that fat person could cost the employer more than a fit person. I'm not against being vaccinated, I'm trying to. But the consequences of these of all the covid mandates both here and around the world are yet to be seen. The world is getting nutty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Government cannot force you to allow any person into your private property. As the legal owner of a bar / restaurant or any other private property, you can decide who enters, unless they have a court warrant. Therefore someone who is not allowed to enter the property cannot carry out working duties, so must be terminated.

In some countries you cannot discriminate against certain disabilities, but you might get upset if you are mandated to employ a person with ebola to be a nanny to your kids.....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

The amount - no

The severity - yes

The vaccine does not kill covid - so people can still spread it, people can still catch it.

How hard is this to understand ? For some people it seems very hard

It's clear who doesn't understand.  If you understand so well compare the possible spread by an individual who is sick for 5 days versus someone who is sick for 10 days.  It's extremely obvious that vaccinated people have less severe symptoms than the unvaccinated.  A higher percentage of unvaccinated will exhibit lung problems and sore throat problems that lead to coughing and the attendant greater dispersal of virus that results.  Duh!

Edited by gamb00ler

8 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

It's clear who doesn't understand.  If you understand so well compare the possible spread by an individual who is sick for 5 days versus someone who is sick for 10 days.  It's extremely obvious that vaccinated people have less severe symptoms than the unvaccinated.  A higher percentage of unvaccinated will exhibit lung problems and sore throat problems that lead to coughing and the attendant greater dispersal of virus that results.  Duh!

That is what severity means in my post - which you quoted.

On 8/28/2021 at 2:41 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I read that in other countries employers give the employees the following options:

a) get vaccinated

b) show regular tests that you are not infected with Covid.

Ive heard that too.

Those vaccinated should also show regular tests to prove they are don't have the covids as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DefaultName said:

If a person in a customer-facing role refuses to get vaccinated then, IMO, they have dismissed themselves.  The employer has a duty of care to his customers and having safe staff falls within that.

A vaccinated person can still catch and spread the covids, how does having them vaccinated make them "safe" ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

So what would happen if really fat people (obese) were unable to gain employment because their chance of having an emergency episode was far greater than a fit person and that fat person could cost the employer more than a fit person. I'm not against being vaccinated, I'm trying to. But the consequences of these of all the covid mandates both here and around the world are yet to be seen. The world is getting nutty.

That's already the case, see for example: https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20161130-fat-people-earn-less-and-have-a-harder-time-finding-work

20 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

A vaccinated person can still catch and spread the covids, how does having them vaccinated make them "safe" ?

Yes, a vaccinated person can still catch and spread it, but the chance to do this is lower compared to an unvaccinated person.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That's already the case, see for example: https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20161130-fat-people-earn-less-and-have-a-harder-time-finding-work

Yes, a vaccinated person can still catch and spread it, but the chance to do this is lower compared to an unvaccinated person.

Right, so vaccinating them makes them no safer then.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i doubt that, i hear business owners saying how difficult it is here to terminate people

But you can "assist" them to resign.

Stop all over time.

Daily covids test, 15 mins prior to shift start.

Strictly police meal breaks.

Enforce no phone policy.

etc etc etc, they will eventually stop showing up to work !!

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

i doubt that, i hear business owners saying how difficult it is here to terminate people

It's difficult to correctly terminate staff for cause and not pay them severance, no matter how bad an employee they are. That's the problem.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The fat git should go on a diet until he/she is employable.

18 hours ago, canthai55 said:

The vaccine only benefits the person getting it.

It does not protect people they come in contact with.

So all this "vaccinated staff" is a complete waste of time.

The staff can STILL give covid to customers, and vice versa.

Not completely true it also curbs the spread a bit. Because vaccinated people get infected less often they can spread it less too. Its only logical. It can still spread it but at a far lower rate.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, scorecard said:

It's also possible the owner is trying to prevent a situation where a customer catches Covid 19 from an employee. If that happened the restaurant:

- Would possibly suffer a penalty such as closure for 14 days & fines,

- And an ongoing 'image' of being a place where people catch the Covid 19 virus.

Hence owner taking an approach / a strategy to try to prevent both items above. 

If a restaurant franchise were to run into that issue the Government would close it down until the franchise got a new franchisee.

On 8/28/2021 at 3:01 AM, MrJ2U said:

Get vaccinated or Don't work amongst the public.

Maybe your friend can get a stripper job online where she cant mingle with the public.

Whats her excuse?

Stupidity?

Lots of people are also afraid of getting vaccinated. Most people get their vaccinations as children. In my lifetime, it was the first the adult vaccination program and naturally many people are simply afraid and needs more convincing. The case is different in the US where seditionists want to bring death and destruction by overloading hospitals and health care systems with unvaccinated people. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

On 8/29/2021 at 1:41 PM, Bill97 said:

What government? Thai? Your home country? The Teleban? NATO?

Taliban not teleban LOL

Besides that last time I checked I was living in Thailand and the op I thought was talking about Thai person.

On 8/28/2021 at 2:46 AM, mikebike said:

In the USA that has changed in just the last week. With the full FDA approval of Pfizer vax, some major employers are now requiring vax with threat of $200/month health-care surcharge.

True statement.....

[Many major corporations have announced employee requirements around the COVID-19 vaccine. Delta announced that employees who aren't vaccinated will need to pay $200 more a month for health insurance, and Uber required that corporate workers get a jab before returning to the office.]

[More than half of US companies plan to require some or all of their employees to get vaccinated against COVID-19 by the end of the year, found a survey first reported by Reuters.]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/majority-us-companies-theyre-planning-174216969.html

• Like 1