KFC Thailand Is Now Serving ‘Meat Zero’ Vegan Fried Chicken

webfact

I just went to a KFC branch , when I mentioned vegatarian chicken all of them looked at me like I was an alien. The staff have never even heard of it.

So where is this launched?

Edited by EricTh

10 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

If you are vegetarian or vegan, stick to the literally thousands of very tasty vegetable and fruit options. Why would a person who eschews (even abhors) cooked meat want to eat anything that actually resembles the texture, taste and even shape of a meat dish? I just don't get it.

It ain't rocket science is it, some people like the taste and texture but don't want to kill animals for that. Really isn't hard to figure out

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

With all due respect, I have never really understood why vegans would want to eat "imitation meat". It seems so hypocritical to me.

When I was a vegetarian, I used to eat Linda McCartney pies. 

They tasted pretty good and like the pies my grannies used to make; maybe it is a type of "comfort" food.

I can't see how I was being hypocritical in any way. 

25 years ago, I used to go to Central Chidlom for their vegetarian duck, with the texture of the real thing. 

Now I eat chicken and fish.

I wonder if these vegan KFC things are cooked in vegetable oil, all in the same one as the meat. 

I used to eat vegetarian haggis suppers in Aberdeen that were thrown in the same fryer as bluck puddings and kippers, but never really cared after a night on the sauce.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

I just went to a KFC branch , when I mentioned vegatarian chicken all of them looked at me like I was an alien. The staff have never even heard of it.

So where is this launched?

From the linked article 

While initially only available in KFC Thailand’s Green Stores in Saengsom Building and Wanachai Depot Chachoengsao, 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kamahele said:

People who grew up eating meat, but have given it up for any number of reasons may on occasion still like to eat something that has the same texture or richness as meat but without the meat. 

A Tennis ball?

23 hours ago, Pinot said:

Because it's not meat? As a vegetarian this is interesting although I swore off KFC 25 years ago. I'm always surprised that Thais like KFC so much when all fried chicken is great here, far superior to the <deleted> they serve up. 

I eat a couple of meatless cheeseburgers a week. 

I was informed many years ago that eating KFC and Maccas was a sign of "wealth" and a status thing, as you did not have to eat "peasant" street food.

23 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

With all due respect, I have never really understood why vegans would want to eat "imitation meat". It seems so hypocritical to me.

If you are a meat eater, go for a juicy piece of chicken thigh (plus a healthy serving of veggies, of course).

If you are vegetarian or vegan, stick to the literally thousands of very tasty vegetable and fruit options. Why would a person who eschews (even abhors) cooked meat want to eat anything that actually resembles the texture, taste and even shape of a meat dish? I just don't get it.

Even as a meat lover, I frequently eat vegetarian.  

There are some, I think, who eat vegetarian as a health concern but really like the taste of meat. Chicken is already a healthier meat choice, though, so agreed.

Somewhere back in the states I have a vegan cookbook from the thirties that's full of mock meat recipes. I bought it at a charity shop for laughs.

On 8/28/2021 at 9:41 AM, Misterwhisper said:

If you are a meat eater, go for a juicy piece of chicken thigh (plus a healthy serving of veggies, of course).

Even as a meat lover, I frequently eat vegetarian.  

Same reason why many electric cars look like petrol cars - marketing.  Why not make a Tesla look like a milk float or a golf buggy?

22 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

To feed the growing populations in some countries in the developing World while using the narrative that meat is somehow cruel, even if animals themselves eat each other.

The much needed population controls and reductions, are unpalatable for some to acknowledge.

Unfortunately reality is that not everyone in the World can enjoy a high standard of living which includes eating quality meat, driving motor vehicles or any other activity that damages the environment.

"...so remember, Tuesday is Soylent Green day."

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

As a vegan I wouldn’t eat anything kfc serves as their main source of income involves animal slaughter. Plus I would not trust them to cook vegan foods separately from non vegan. 

I get that but if its some emergency or whatever , yea it could be eaten. Lot of the fake patties taste fine or even better than chicken to me.  At least the ones I've tried. 

1 minute ago, redwood1 said:

Meat Zero.......And the ingredients are???

It seems its very hard to find info on Meat Zero.....

Come on if its great stuff why not tell the ingredients ? My 3 minute search turned up almost nothing....

It will be a series of numerals, possibly from either Monsanto or Shell subsidiaries'

• Like 1

Strikes me you must have to do a he'll of a lot to veggies to look/taste like meat.

I steer clear because I don't like processed food.

Mind you, I have tried the beyond meat sausages just out of curiosity and they are 90% of the way there.

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

When I was a vegetarian, I used to eat Linda McCartney pies. 

They tasted pretty good and like the pies my grannies used to make; maybe it is a type of "comfort" food.

I can't see how I was being hypocritical in any way. 

25 years ago, I used to go to Central Chidlom for their vegetarian duck, with the texture of the real thing. 

Now I eat chicken and fish.

I wonder if these vegan KFC things are cooked in vegetable oil, all in the same one as the meat. 

I used to eat vegetarian haggis suppers in Aberdeen that were thrown in the same fryer as bluck puddings and kippers, but never really cared after a night on the sauce.  

????

Would the same apply if you spent the night on non-alcoholic beer??

????????

6 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Same reason why many electric cars look like petrol cars - marketing.  Why not make a Tesla look like a milk float or a golf buggy?

Probably less chance of being hit by a silent electric vehicle if it was carrying 50 crates of milk bottles. 

• Haha 1

Freedom for all seems a wonderful idea. Why should vegetarians not have the choice to eat food of their liking? Until you realise it's at your expense, because you can be certain that the time and effort KFC spend on research, development, sale of vegetarian nuggets you'll never eat, will not be spent on them developing products you may actually like.

Freedom for vegetarians is clearly at the expense of meat eaters' freedom. Every vegetarian item on any food menu is an item that could have been something delicious for you, but now....isn't.

Personally, I'm not loving it.

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

I've heard their meat dishes are 100% halal, is this true?

Depends; worldwide some are some aren't, every KFC in Phuket for example are allegedly halal. Unless muslim not sure why it would be an issue.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Meat Zero.......And the ingredients are???

It seems its very hard to find info on Meat Zero.....

Come on if its great stuff why not tell the ingredients ? My 3 minute search turned up almost nothing....

First link that appeared after ''KFC plant-based chicken ingredients'' search... 

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/a30983719/vegan-kfc/

Likewise a search for meat zero wielded pages of links similar to this

https://www.meatzerobrand.com/en/

Edited by Bluespunk