KFC Thailand Is Now Serving ‘Meat Zero’ Vegan Fried Chicken

webfact

I appreciate alternatives to meat are coming on the menu, but don't call it meat - i.e. "Plant-Based Chicken" something like "Pop", or whatever - it's not meat. And don't forget that some vegans simply loose appetite just they hear, or see, the word meat, or any variants like beef, chicken, or pork.

If you don't want meat then just call it what it is, i.e. "Plant-based Pop"; we don't call meat for "chicken-based Vegetables"...????

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Burger King veggie burgers are just as good as the meat ones imo.

They are not meant to taste the same or like meat either. They are made of beans and peas but taste great.

Burger King's quality of their burgers is a joke although they are slightly better than MC Donald's .

3 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

With all due respect, I have never really understood why vegans would want to eat "imitation meat". It seems so hypocritical to me.

If you are a meat eater, go for a juicy piece of chicken thigh (plus a healthy serving of veggies, of course).

If you are vegetarian or vegan, stick to the literally thousands of very tasty vegetable and fruit options. Why would a person who eschews (even abhors) cooked meat want to eat anything that actually resembles the texture, taste and even shape of a meat dish? I just don't get it.

Even as a meat lover, I frequently eat vegetarian.  

Do you really think that the consumers of a product are the ones who name it or advertise it as a “meat substitute”?

The reason behind consuming many of these products is they contain essential protein and are often fortified with B12 and iron amongst other vitamins/minerals. 

I personally wouldn’t eat any process foods like the ones you refer to as I prefer and have the time to cook from scratch using raw ingredients that I flavour myself. 

Others do not have the time or inclination to do this and buy these products, that is their choice. However it incorrect to call this behaviour hypocrisy. 

In many respects there are eaters of meat who do the same in that some cook and some eat processed ready made foods. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

I agree - nothing against vegetarians (and their ilk) - but why fake meat. Make so sense....

Because of the climate "catastrophe"  the next big thing  they want to impose restrictions upon is food, "real" food will become very expensive  so the peasants ( that's us) will have to consume engineered substitutes, maybe lab grown meat and insects provided by the omnipotent mega corporation :wacko:

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

The thing is, it is still fried food cooked in (many) days old oil... I don't think the chicken was the problem in the first place.

Not just fried but also saturated in old oil.

The last time that I had KFC in Thailand that is all I could taste was the old oil

The chicken was dripping with dirty cooking oil and the smell and taste was so overpowering that the oil was all that could be tasted.

The Soi dogs ate well that night.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

With all due respect, I have never really understood why vegans would want to eat "imitation meat". It seems so hypocritical to me.

If you are a meat eater, go for a juicy piece of chicken thigh (plus a healthy serving of veggies, of course).

If you are vegetarian or vegan, stick to the literally thousands of very tasty vegetable and fruit options. Why would a person who eschews (even abhors) cooked meat want to eat anything that actually resembles the texture, taste and even shape of a meat dish? I just don't get it.

not all vegans are against eating meat some like me done it for medical reasons, blood pressure and cholesterol so replicating meat makes sense to me

4 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

I agree - nothing against vegetarians (and their ilk) - but why fake meat. Make so sense....

People who grew up eating meat, but have given it up for any number of reasons may on occasion still like to eat something that has the same texture or richness as meat but without the meat. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Not just fried but also saturated in old oil.

The last time that I had KFC in Thailand that is all I could taste was the old oil

The chicken was dripping with dirty cooking oil and the smell and taste was so overpowering that the oil was all that could be tasted.

The Soi dogs ate well that night.

Same, I had my first KFC experience here in Thailand, and it was my last as well. Their food is killing people faster than Covid...

We're lucky to live in a country where fresh and proper food can be bought at reasonable prices from restaurants, I don't get why people keep on getting substandard junk food.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

KFC has just made another move to expand its plant-based options, this time launching vegan fried chicken in Thailand. Partnering with Meat Zero, the Yum Brands-owned fast food chain will begin rolling out 100% plant-based fried chicken across its Green Stores in the country and possibly extend distribution in the coming months.

You know they've lost the plot when they try to make a salad look like chicken.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

God the very idea.  Their real chicken here tastes like reconstituted rat, one that died of starvation, so God only knows what this new concoction tastes like.  Luckily I will never know. 

More chance it will taste better then. 

7 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Imitation meat is not only for vegetarians, but also for those who want to eat less meat for various reasons (health, environment, maybe cost, maybe less cruelty to animals ) but still get a similar taste and texture to meat. Also imitation meat is made so the protein quality and quantity is equivalent to real meat, something that unprocessed vegetables don't have.

• Like 1