Bike ownership issue

AussieRules

2 issues to ask about

1 ) bought a small bike about 3 years ago in the name of my girlfriend, we're splitting up at the moment, it's registered in her name, but I'm looking to keep it is there anything I need to do/look out for ?

2) how common is theft of this type of bike (honda wave, honda cup etc) parked in and around BKK ie close to BTS stations, outside markets etc ?

thanks

8 minutes ago, AussieRules said:

1 ) bought a small bike about 3 years ago in the name of my girlfriend, we're splitting up at the moment, it's registered in her name, but I'm looking to keep it is there anything I need to do/look out for ?

Go to DLT with your exGF, arrange the transfer, fill out the documents. 

You’ll need an Affirmation of Address (from Embassy), or Letter of Address (from Immigration).

You will have to pay a minor amount of tax on the transfer.

8 minutes ago, AussieRules said:

2) how common is theft of this type of bike (honda wave, honda cup etc) parked in and around BKK ie close to BTS stations, outside markets etc ?

You've had it for 3 years... its not been stolen yet - that kind of answers your question. 

IF parked over night the risk is obviously higher. 

Its not yiur bike. If she wants to she can take it.

You need her co-operation to retain it and transfer it.

Sweeten the process with a few baht usually does it as with most things here.

Just a suggestion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry Black said:

And nor will it as it ages ????

Older bikes are frequent targets in that the sum total value of the parts is often worth more than the intact bike, especially in Cambodia and Laos where a lot of the parts end-up.

3 hours ago, AussieRules said:

...is there anything I need to do/look out for ?

Arrest and being charged with theft and then being taken to Court if you do not pay to resolve the situation.

The bike is not your property. Steal someone else's property and expect to pay a penalty for it.

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Where is it parked?

I leave it all over the place. I often go out, get <deleted> (doesn't take much these days) and go back for it the next day. Having lived in Bangkok for decades I have never found it to be crime ridden (except for the RTP that is).

• Haha 1