You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Covid insurance - inpatient only

Our AETNA policy covers 5 million baht per case, including Covid-19 treatments, but it is "In-patient and day case" only. There is no cover for out-patient treatments.

Does that qualify for a policy to enter Thailand? Does anyone has experience doing that? 

BTW I am not on a retirement visa. 

I submitted the letter from my insurance (Cigna) about covering Covid. Even though I do NOT have outpatient cover, it was not mentioned on the Covid cover letter and it was accepted without further questions. The letter was reviewed and accepted 6 times in total:

- by the embassy for the COE issuance

- by the airport staff during check in

- by the airline staff during pre-boarding

- by the airport staff on arrival in BKK

- by the immigration authority before getting the immigration stamp

- by the health authorities before getting into the transport to the ASQ hotel

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, XGM said:

Thanks. In my case no outpatient cover is mentioned on their letter.

Sorry, have to ask again: Does it SPECIFICALLY exclude the outpatient treatment? Based on your initial post, I thought you have the same as I do, my insurance confirmation letter says "The annual inpatient and daypatient benefit maximum per year of insurance per member is x,000,000 THB". This was accepted, but again, the word "outpatient" can nowhere be found in my letter.

If your letter excludes outpatient specifically, then you might need to get one of the "standard" Thai Covid insurances from the website of approved Thai insurances, and it must cover your initial stay, depending on the Visa type (tourist, exempt etc) that you will use to enter Thailand

4 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Sorry, have to ask again: Does it SPECIFICALLY exclude the outpatient treatment? Based on your initial post, I thought you have the same as I do, my insurance confirmation letter says "The annual inpatient and daypatient benefit maximum per year of insurance per member is x,000,000 THB". This was accepted, but again, the word "outpatient" can nowhere be found in my letter.

If your letter excludes outpatient specifically, then you might need to get one of the "standard" Thai Covid insurances from the website of approved Thai insurances, and it must cover your initial stay, depending on the Visa type (tourist, exempt etc) that you will use to enter Thailand

Specifically excludes outpatient treatment.

Screenshot_20210829-230618_Drive.jpg

Yes it will suffice but you'll need a specific letter from them stating COVID is included in Thailand for at least 100k.

Outpt doesn't enter into it as hospitalization is mandatory even if you are cometely asymptomatic.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Yes it will suffice but you'll need a specific letter from them stating COVID is included in Thailand for at least 100k.

Outpt doesn't enter into it as hospitalization is mandatory even if you are cometely asymptomatic.

I think it is true that hospitalization will always occur if you are tested positive while in ASQ. However, both home isolation and community isolation outside hospital has become common where people test positive in the community.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I got a specific letter regarding cover for covid19 and im the same letter it is stated that only inpatient is covered (I attached that paragraph above).

Say I get another insurance just for that. What is the duration I need...? After 14 days in Phuket I intend to proceed to Pattaya where we live. I have an almost year long extension of stay based on marriage (and a reentry permit).

11 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

I submitted the letter from my insurance (Cigna) about covering Covid. Even though I do NOT have outpatient cover, it was not mentioned on the Covid cover letter and it was accepted without further questions. The letter was reviewed and accepted 6 times in total:

- by the embassy for the COE issuance

- by the airport staff during check in

- by the airline staff during pre-boarding

- by the airport staff on arrival in BKK

- by the immigration authority before getting the immigration stamp

- by the health authorities before getting into the transport to the ASQ hotel

If I wasn't already here, I would bother to waste my time to come unless I was trying to get back to my children... This is absolutely ridiculous!!!  

26 minutes ago, XGM said:

Say I get another insurance just for that. What is the duration I need...? After 14 days in Phuket I intend to proceed to Pattaya where we live. I have an almost year long extension of stay based on marriage (and a reentry permit).

That would be accepted.

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not aware of a company issuing a 14 day policy for covid 19.

Yeah, I meant any minimal duration, be it a month or as short as posdible. Naturally since we return to Thailand which is where live for over 6 years, we will not have return tickets.

I just got the following info from the embassy:

"It should cover all eventualities including treatment as an out-patient".

and

"In the absence of a return ticket, for as long as you intend to stay in Thailand".

Edited by XGM

To add another related question - will my wife and kids (Thai nationals) also need a Covid insurance coverage and if so for what duration? I didnt manage to receive an answer from the embassy on that.

15 minutes ago, XGM said:

To add another related question - will my wife and kids (Thai nationals) also need a Covid insurance coverage and if so for what duration? I didnt manage to receive an answer from the embassy on that.

Thai's do not need insurance unless going into one of the sandboxes (30 days is enough for them).

• Like 1

Yes those are legit options.

But I suggest you first try with your existing policy. Sometimes asking questions of an Embassy just raises an issue where there otherwise would not have been.

My policy clearly states that it is Hospitalization onl;y. I had no problem getting COE with it. Same for many other people.

Just upload what you have and see what happens, if they reject it you can get a COVID only policy from that website quite quickly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes those are legit options.

But I suggest you first try with your existing policy. Sometimes asking questions of an Embassy just raises an issue where there otherwise would not have been.

My policy clearly states that it is Hospitalization onl;y. I had no problem getting COE with it. Same for many other people.

Just upload what you have and see what happens, if they reject it you can get a COVID only policy from that website quite quickly.

Where to get the cheapest policy for 5 months covid cover with a Thai insurance company  and pay with Thai baht. Thanks 

4 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

I have seen posters talk about cheaper prices.  23000  for 180 days is very high 

Some travel policies will be cheaper. Just make sure they cover COVID and will issue a letter to that effect.

Since many countries now recommend against travel to Thailand also need to make sure your policy will still be valid there. 

Also given the price you might want to consider a more comprehensive expat health policy.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Some travel policies will be cheaper. Just make sure they cover COVID and will issue a letter to that effect.

Since many countries now recommend against travel to Thailand also need to make sure your policy will still be valid there. 

Also given the price you might want to consider a more comprehensive expat health policy.

Ok  i want to purchase a policy a covid only policy  issued by a thai company

My wife and I have Thai visas that are stamped for one year every time it is renewed either by extension or border crossing. However if we only plan to stay in Thailand one month can we buy an ongoing plane ticket to another country one month from our entry date and purchase only 1 month worth of Thai Covid insurance?

6 hours ago, wasabi said:

My wife and I have Thai visas that are stamped for one year every time it is renewed either by extension or border crossing. However if we only plan to stay in Thailand one month can we buy an ongoing plane ticket to another country one month from our entry date and purchase only 1 month worth of Thai Covid insurance?

Some embassies or official consulates might accept a ticket out of the country instead of having one year of covid 19 insurance. But if accepted you could run into problems when arriving in the country.

Following the above discussion, I purchased an additional insurance that does not exclude outpatient benefits, for 3 months from my planned arrival date to Thailand (embassy said on phone "3 months insurance is enough for marriage visa", however I realize they might be referring to the visas they issue there and not for a yearly extension of stay).

My extension of stay is valid till July 2022 (I got a multiple entries Reentry Permit as well).

I don't have a return ticket.

Got my COE yesterday based on the above. Wonder if I better purchase a return ticket anyway for the case IO in phuket will be stricter than the embassy. What is the worst outcome? held up at the airport and forced to purchase additional insurance till July 2022?

On 8/30/2021 at 5:05 AM, Sheryl said:

Hmmm.

A guy I know was asymptomatic and after 3 days when the hospital found out that his insurance wouldn't pay they sent him to a hotel for the remainder of his quarantine period.

Whereas another guy I know who had Covid but didn't need any treatment after 3 days was kept the full 14 days as the insurance was paying.