Thailand to allow local flights to resume in COVID-risk areas

webfact

4 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

COE. It is the worst, most harrowing part of the process. Come to Thailand 2 times this year. This time I literally flew to another US city, paid for a hotel night and covid test with no idea if I could board my flight or not. I got the email 2 hours before check-in for the flight began and had to pay some huge fee like USD $7.50 to print out 1 page at SFO. 

All for a bit of paper that  has no public health significance

However now they have tasted prepaid tests, mandatory health insurance and approved hotels. There will have to be some way of verifying all this, maybe in the future an app.

I don't believe COE will ever go away. covid-19 is just the thin end of the wedge.

Yep, true, COE is just a trick to control the minds of the returning Thai folks and arriving foreigners along with regulations that all folks entering Thailand must be vaccinated and insert a behavioral control function which pushes those vaccinated to force others to get vaccinated which will control birth rates and DNA. Plus it will insert a function to ensure that the poor remain poor etc. NOT!

11 minutes ago, SuwadeeS said:

Because of the failure of the government to start earlier with vaccination, I have to wait till I got my second jab? 

I already got my second jab a few days ago. Why is it a problem for you?

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yeah, but its not the domestic flights that will bring the money in

That is true, but there are many people in Thailand who want some respite from covid restrictions that may wish to have some time, somewhere different!

But some kind of movement is needed to get things started! 

I am in favour of this one!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mberbae said:

Requiring proof of vaccinations is hilarious.

Only 11% of the population is currently vaccinated,

meaning,  flights can only be at 11% capacity.

I figure 11% of the population could fill a few aircraft up!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

COE. It is the worst, most harrowing part of the process. Come to Thailand 2 times this year. This time I literally flew to another US city, paid for a hotel night and covid test with no idea if I could board my flight or not. I got the email 2 hours before check-in for the flight began and had to pay some huge fee like USD $7.50 to print out 1 page at SFO. 

All for a bit of paper that  has no public health significance

However now they have tasted prepaid tests, mandatory health insurance and approved hotels. There will have to be some way of verifying all this, maybe in the future an app.

I don't believe COE will ever go away. covid-19 is just the thin end of the wedge.

If what you think comes to fruition, then their tourism industry will die a death.

Countries that introduce minimum disruption to the tourists and airline passengers will be the beneficiaries. I meet my sons and friends and most times organize their flights here. If nonsense persists as in COE etc, I will recommend meeting up with them in countries in the Far East that don't use such restrictive measures.

Thailand is not the be all and end all and hasn't been for over 15-20 years.

It's gradually deteriorated,, greed has taken over, the Thai smile is gone, and there are far better value for money places to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

If what you think comes to fruition, then their tourism industry will die a death.

Countries that introduce minimum disruption to the tourists and airline passengers will be the beneficiaries. I meet my sons and friends and most times organize their flights here. If nonsense persists as in COE etc, I will recommend meeting up with them in countries in the Far East that don't use such restrictive measures.

Thailand is not the be all and end all and hasn't been for over 15-20 years.

It's gradually deteriorated,, greed has taken over, the Thai smile is gone, and there are far better value for money places to go.

Must be very disruptive for you and almost impossible to book flights for others which is a big downer that I have not heard mentioned before . Just out of interest , what are the documents needed by other popular countries and would you be able to book the flights yourself for your sons and friends ?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, superal said:

Must be very disruptive for you and almost impossible to book flights for others which is a big downer that I have not heard mentioned before . Just out of interest , what are the documents needed by other popular countries and would you be able to book the flights yourself for your sons and friends ?

I am talking in the fairly near future.

My friends and family have already given up on the Far East this year. I think we are looking at the situation in another six months and seeing how the land lies then and what restrictions are in place then.

It's also become a non starter since Thailand hit the RED list for me travelling to Europe.

I speak to them regularly and some of them are well heeled people, but they won't have the constant changes without notice, restrictions on where they must stay if they visit Thailand or similar and they definitely won't stand for the quarantine threat just for taking a holiday. and COEs etc, they won't whinge or moan, it achieves nothing, they will simply go somewhere else.

I know two of them who have actually bought large 35-40K campervans, but a bit more luxury to them and are touring Britain. It's really taking off.

Others are going to Spanish islands.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

For "Air Aviation" read Thai Air Asia.

It will be news to Thai Air Asia, they have just refunded my Roi et to Don Muang flight with a credit due to fly middle of September

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Are you being deliberately obtuse?????????

To suggest that because only 11% of Thai population had been fully vaccinated, that domestic flights could only be 11% full, was dim beyond belief, and deserved an obtuse response!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

It will be news to Thai Air Asia, they have just refunded my Roi et to Don Muang flight with a credit due to fly middle of September

Interesting and thanks. When I read the OP and saw Air Aviation, I asked myself who are they? According to Wikipedia, it is the holding company which includes Thai Air Asia. It will be interesting to read their response.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yeah, but its not the domestic flights that will bring the money in

Did you see how much it used to cost for a Bangkok Air flight From B/K to Koh Samui? (Not sure about current fares as I refuse to pay their prices) Shame there's no Monopolies Commission in Thailand!

Edited by sambum

On 8/30/2021 at 10:09 AM, nchuckle said:

While the COE process is in place they will be cutting off,I guess ,90% of their tourist trade

The powers don't want that kind of trade anymore. A travel group agent will handle the paperwork. It will be hard to wean them off the grift. SHA+ means nothing about a virus.  Prepaid hotels and tests, mandatory insurance and tracking.The days of going where you want, patronizing local businesses, especially "farang owned" are probably not in the overall plan.

Preferred vendors, attractions, restaurants and shopping. Just follow the Flag! 

Edited by Captain Monday