Swimmers in Hua Hin warned about deadly box jellyfish

webfact

240956332_2986083278317580_5556501060328632534_n-696x522.jpg

By Paul Andrews

Swimmers in Hua Hin are being warned about potentially deadly jellyfish that may be present in the waters off the coast.

Hua Hin Municipality issued a warning on Tuesday about the risk to swimmers from  jellyfish, including the dangerous box jellyfish.

Mr. Jeerawat Prahmanee, Permanent Secretary of Hua Hin Municipality, said swimmers should only swim inside the dedicated ‘safe zones’ where so-called stinger nets have been erected to keep out the jellyfish.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/swimmers-in-hua-hin-warned-about-deadly-box-jellyfish/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2021-09-01

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

Mr. Jeerawat Prahmanee, Permanent Secretary of Hua Hin Municipality, said swimmers should only swim inside the dedicated ‘safe zones’

Nobody is going to tell me where I can and can't swim!!!

Just a thought for those who see rules for the common good as an imposition on their lives.

• Like 1

Since Pattaya and Hua Hin are at similar latitudes and the sea temperature will be much the same, it makes you wonder why Pattaya isn't concerned about this too. There are certainly plenty of jellyfish in the sea here since the rainy season started, as I can attest from numerous stings received while swimming in the sea. Presumably not box jellyfish, though, as I'm still breathing, lol. They already have many swimming areas buoyed off to protect people from jet skis and boats, would it be that difficult to string some jellyfish nets below the buoys? With the seas warming as a result of climate change, the poisonous jellyfish problem isn't going to go away.

Apart from jellyfish, swimming off the beach in Hua Hin is dangerous with sharp rocks underfoot.

The beach in front of the Hilton and surrounding rocks are strewn with rubbish and broken bottles during "normal" times.

The cleanest beach is 1km south toward Kao ta Kiab but watch the jellyfish.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:17 AM, Guderian said:

Since Pattaya and Hua Hin are at similar latitudes and the sea temperature will be much the same, it makes you wonder why Pattaya isn't concerned about this too. There are certainly plenty of jellyfish in the sea here since the rainy season started, as I can attest from numerous stings received while swimming in the sea. Presumably not box jellyfish, though, as I'm still breathing, lol. They already have many swimming areas buoyed off to protect people from jet skis and boats, would it be that difficult to string some jellyfish nets below the buoys? With the seas warming as a result of climate change, the poisonous jellyfish problem isn't going to go away.

Pattaya, Bang Saen, koh Samet and Raying have all had sightings ir incidents in the past.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:32 AM, natway09 said:

The  stingers come every year to Hua Hin & they can make for an uncomfortable night if you do get stung, believe me I learn't my lesson  25 years ago the hard way

Did your stings look like this?

bzx9PhH-XMCSX8ab_JziDgQGRMfjsIePitZwb02flg0.jpg