O-A visa extension medical insurance

13 hours ago, Pib said:

Yes...you will need medical insurance for an extension of stay based on your OA visa.

Does this rule apply to a Non Im O Visa now...? I do not wish to hijack thread but both Visas similar with renewal. Early this year I entered the Kingdom on a multi entry which required medical insurance to enter. 2 weeks later I renewed my extension and do not remember having to show my insurance. So same question will medical Insurance be required for Non Im O renewal now? I understand that holding the O-A visa the insurance is compulsory for the application. That rule came in a while ago (2 years?) but did not effect the Im O visa.

Edited by Thaifish

22 minutes ago, Thaifish said:

Does this rule apply to a Non Im O Visa now...?

For extensions based on retirement medical insurance is required for non O-A and not required for extensions based on retirement or marriage for those that had a non O.

Note that if you had a non O-A and apply for your extension based on marriage then the insurance is not required.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Thaifish said:

Early this year I entered the Kingdom on a multi entry which required medical insurance to enter.

But was this not a policy providing 100k USD cover specifically for COVID-19 (which is quite separate from a policy providing 400k THB in-patient + 40k THB out-patient health cover as required for applicants seeking annual extensions of stay for retirement on the basis of original non-OA visas)? 

On 9/1/2021 at 10:38 PM, Thaifish said:

Does this rule apply to a Non Im O Visa now...? I do not wish to hijack thread but both Visas similar with renewal. Early this year I entered the Kingdom on a multi entry which required medical insurance to enter. 2 weeks later I renewed my extension and do not remember having to show my insurance. So same question will medical Insurance be required for Non Im O renewal now? I understand that holding the O-A visa the insurance is compulsory for the application. That rule came in a while ago (2 years?) but did not effect the Im O visa.

I did a search for Covid Insurance and this was the first thread that popped up. Sorry ! 

I have a question on the medical (covid Insurance) that you purchased . Could you please PM me with the premium and name of the agency you used?

I have a non O based on marriageI'm thinking about going back to the states  before Xmas and it would be great to have as much info as possible ! 

Thanks

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, OJAS said:

But was this not a policy providing 100k USD cover specifically for COVID-19 (which is quite separate from a policy providing 400k THB in-patient + 40k THB out-patient health cover

Correct 100k USD.. The policy was also required to have the 400/40k THB cover also and had to cover the length of the extension which I was about to renew so I took out 1 year cover. Wondering now if it is required for my next extension O visa.                

On 9/1/2021 at 11:38 AM, Thaifish said:

The 400/40k requirement is for OA only, not O. It applies both to the initial visa and to in-country extensions.

With any visa you need to have COVID insurance to enter the country. The COVID insurance is not needed for in-country extensions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thaifish said:

Correct 100k USD.. The policy was also required to have the 400/40k THB cover also and had to cover the length of the extension which I was about to renew so I took out 1 year cover. Wondering now if it is required for my next extension O visa.                

So which Thai embassy (or official consulate) was it that required you to obtain both types of insurance cover for the COE which they presumably issued to enable you to re-enter Thailand earlier this year?

14 hours ago, OJAS said:

So which Thai embassy (or official consulate) was it that required you to obtain both types of insurance cover for the COE which they presumably issued to enable you to re-enter Thailand earlier this year?

@OJAS it appears I am misleading on the 400/40K Bht requirement. It only applies to Non Imm O A and not O as in my case. My apologies. The coverage is an extra which I have only just discovered.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel-to-thailand/health-insurance-thailand-for-retirees

Quote from embassy link Non Imm OA>>

The new rule specifies that the applicant or visa holder must have health insurance not be less than 40,000 baht for outpatient and 400,000 baht for inpatient medical fees.

Edited by Thaifish

19 hours ago, Thaifish said:

@OJAS it appears I am misleading on the 400/40K Bht requirement. It only applies to Non Imm O A and not O as in my case. My apologies. The coverage is an extra which I have only just discovered.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel-to-thailand/health-insurance-thailand-for-retirees

Quote from embassy link Non Imm OA>>

The new rule specifies that the applicant or visa holder must have health insurance not be less than 40,000 baht for outpatient and 400,000 baht for inpatient medical fees.

What you have said in the post to which I am now replying is 100% correct in the case of annual extensions of stay for retirement issued by local immigration offices here in Thailand. However, what I was referring to were COE's issued by Thai embassies and official consulates abroad, which are subject to an entirely different process. In this connection, the 400k/40k health insurance requirement seems to be being generally prescribed as a condition of COE's issued for retirement, even in the case of retirees who originally entered Thailand with a non-O visa (incorrectly IMHO) - e.g. the London Embassy website which includes the following provision under the Required documents for the Certificate of Entry (apart from visa or re-entry permit) heading:-

7. For long-stay retirement visa holders (Non-Immigrant O/O-A/O-X) for people over 50 years old

- Copy of health insurance policy which covers medical treatment in Thailand (non-COVID-19 diseases) for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht for the whole period of your stay in Thailand

- Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Thaifish said:

That is not a official website.

From the bottom of the page you posted a link to. image.png.66a495dab8b33efa2a9ef1114c00d167.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

And what specifically are the health insurance requirements, in order to extend an OA Visa, at the Phuket immigration office?

I was there today, and was shown this handwritten list of requirements, by the student helper who was speaking with the staff inside at the immigration office desk (see attached image).

However, she was not able to tell me what the health insurance requirements figures were specifically... !?!?! 

Can anyone here quite us on the specific figures please?

Or better yet, provide a link, to an official Thai immigration page that details the requirements... Or is that impossible to find on the great world wide web? ????

PXL_20211116_072715804.jpg

1 hour ago, wrazoru said:

And what specifically are the health insurance requirements, in order to extend an OA Visa, at the Phuket immigration office?

I was there today, and was shown this handwritten list of requirements, by the student helper who was speaking with the staff inside at the immigration office desk (see attached image).

However, she was not able to tell me what the health insurance requirements figures were specifically... !?!?! 

Can anyone here quite us on the specific figures please?

Or better yet, provide a link, to an official Thai immigration page that details the requirements... Or is that impossible to find on the great world wide web? ????

PXL_20211116_072715804.jpg

You can get all the information you need from this website (Phuket Immigration Volunteers) for your O-A extension.  Link is provided below:

https://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/retirement/

It will depend on when you got your Non-Imm OA visa.  The medical insurance is the 40k/400k policy which you can buy from the participating insurance companies in the https://longstay.tgia.org link. 

Furthermore, you can go to ask for assistance/clarification from the Phuket Immigration Volunteers in Room 101

Edited by Kopitiam
Additional info