Is purified water from Tesco, Big C etc. Good to put in the coolant tank?

Thomastm

Not really a car expert, but been reading to avoid tap water (of course). But it says to put in the coolant tank soft water. Will bottled water like Nam Tip be good to throw in there. I couldn't find any premixed solution here in Thailand either. 

Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

• Haha 1

That's what i thought from doing some research. I will look into the distilled water at Tesco, that's what i was after.

I bought some coolant mixture. But the instructions are in Thai. 

My Chevy eats the coolant, it's quite problematic. I recently got the radiator replaced so trying to be carful with it. 

2 minutes ago, Thomastm said:

That's what i thought from doing some research. I will look into the distilled water at Tesco, that's what i was after.

My Chevy eats the coolant, it's quite problematic. I recently got the radiator replaced so trying to be carful with it. 

Perhaps your problem is because it doesn't have the right inhibiters in the jacket, the radiator will suffer too...

Hmm, where can i buy premix. Any big car shops in Thailand that would sell it? My Thai isn't so good, so it is hard to explain to the clerks. 

The car has been a problem honestly. Had it repaired 3 times this year, more trouble then it's worth. 

13 minutes ago, Thomastm said:

Hmm, where can i buy premix. Any big car shops in Thailand that would sell it? My Thai isn't so good, so it is hard to explain to the clerks. 

The car has been a problem honestly. Had it repaired 3 times this year, more trouble then it's worth. 

Look in your local big DIY store...Most have a motoring section.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

I believe in Thailand being tropical one can go with 20% coolant and 80% water or 30/70. We don't need freeze protection. But we do need boiling point raising.

It's another controversal subject different countries can do different things. 

How many people flush the system every 2 years and replace the coolant. ????

I know for sure I never do. 

• Like 1

To top up the cooling system you should go 50/50 antifreeze and water. Don't use distilled water or tap water as advised previously.

You can use boied water as it's pH is pretty neutral. If your engine is using water obviously you need to find and rectify the cause.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, JAS21 said:

To top up the cooling system you should go 50/50 antifreeze and water. Don't use distilled water or tap water as advised previously.

You can use boied water as it's pH is pretty neutral. If your engine is using water obviously you need to find and rectify the cause.

Yep...that essential item in the tropics....anti-freeze.

• Haha 2

On 9/2/2021 at 7:00 AM, Thomastm said:

Coolant could be leaking through the cylinder head gasket into the cylinder.(s)....do you get whiteish exhaust smoke?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Please explain why you should not used distilled water? 

Also please explain how the boiling process affects the pH of water and makes it "pretty neutral".

3 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Please explain why you should not used distilled water? 

Also please explain how the boiling process affects the pH of water and makes it "pretty neutral".

Distilled water is widely recommended rather than boiled water in top up use in radiators but some companies that makes coolant liquid products to use in vehicle radiators point out it's bad because after about 100 years + or so it has some chemical reaction that will destroy your vehicles coolant system. 

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2021 at 2:13 PM, VocalNeal said:

I believe in Thailand being tropical one can go with 20% coolant and 80% water or 30/70. We don't need freeze protection. But we do need boiling point raising.

Yes not much need (except on top of Doi Internon) for freezing protection  

but there is a need for anti corrosion and lubrication.

I thought the boiling point was raised by  raising the pressure in the system between 13 and 16 psi ?

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 2:09 PM, JAS21 said:

So I stopped at a tire shop near Tesco, garage guy came over with some coolant. Was like okay thanks. He proceeds to want to fill the coolant tank, I said it was hot. I was thinking shouldn't I wait for the car to cool in a couple of hours as I just drove it.

But he still proceeds to open it (I thought he knew what he was doing). The coolant tank made a hissing sound as the pressure came out of the system. He then fills it up. I was like this isn't right.

Today after driving for 10 minutes. The coolant hose going into the engine had a hole in it, could hear it hissing and coolant pissing out. 

In short, these clowns at the garage had no clue. So angry right now. Coolant tank is completely empty now. Sigh. 

Just check the type of drinking water you are buying - if RO filtered it is fine (only thing better is distilled at much higher cost).  Almost all minerals are removed with RO filtration.  Most of the normal bottled drinking water these days is RO.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Just check the type of drinking water you are buying - if RO filtered it is fine (only thing better is distilled at much higher cost).  Almost all minerals are removed with RO filtration.  Most of the normal bottled drinking water these days is RO.  

Tesco has 1 liter bottles of Distilled water for 16 baht.