AirAsia no longer allowing masks with ventilation valves from today onwards

Jeffr2

20 hours ago, internationalism said:

valid since the beginning of pandemic, and longer before.

wear 2 masks - hospital one, which is too flimsy, and on top of it a large, well fitted valved one (even with carbon)

No no no, wear the valved one UNDERNEATH the flimsy hospital one so no-one knows.

Which way does the valve work? Letting clean air in or Covid laden breath out?

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes they do.

https://www.livescience.com/randomized-trial-shows-surgical-masks-work-curbing-covid.html

Huge, gold-standard study shows unequivocally that surgical masks work to reduce coronavirus spread

I don't think anyone is saying masks do not work at all! Masks do help to reduce the spread. If you cough or sneeze and you have the virus, the mask will stop saliva or droplets being spread. However because the virus is one micron in size and even the best masks are only able to stop particles larger than 50 microns, they cannot stop aerosol size particles.

Laughable performance.

Here’s two bits of hard science the performing trickster missed.

1. A gas flowing through a restriction experiences a pressure drop and a loss of velocity. (Bernoulli’s principal).

The video graphically depicts a young man’s breath vapour in cold air.

Placing a single mask on the same young man in the same cold air would graphically demonstrate the loss of velocity of his expelled breath and how that restricts how far the vapour in his breath travels.

2. Vortices (first described by Leonardo De Vinci) and centrifugal force (first described by Isaac Newton).

When a gas passes an object in its pathway the gas forms vortices at the trailing edge of the object. The angular velocity in the vortices caused, by centrifugal force causes particles suspended in the gas to exit the gas stream at an angle perpendicular to the direction of the gas stream.

Hence the vortices centrifuge aerosols out of the breath into the fabric of the mask, which is why your mask gets damp when you wear it.

And if that doesn’t convince you - try this for size (pun intended).

James Dyson’s vacuum cleaner removes minute particles from the air that passes through it by means vortices and centrifugal force - The Dyson vacuum cleaner has no filter at all.

The video you’ve posted is nothing more than the trickery of a wannabe circus performer doing anything for his 15 minutes of ‘fame’.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I guessed you missed the part where masks with valves aren't acceptable?

I did write that I put 2 masks.

Because those surgical masks are not tight, I put a valved one, because it fits better.

They allow me to enter hospital with such. So even more so airline will.

Since pandemic I grew facia hair, which doesn't help to keep mask in place.

I also bought 2 types of carbon masks for use in high pollution - both with valves.

For bikers and builders.

I am pretty sure they will also be allowed to wear over another non-valved mask. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, internationalism said:

I did write that I put 2 masks.

Because those surgical masks are not tight, I put a valved one, because it fits better.

They allow me to enter hospital with such. So even more so airline will.

Since pandemic I grew facia hair, which doesn't help to keep mask in place.

I also bought 2 types of carbon masks for use in high pollution - both with valves.

For bikers and builders.

I am pretty sure they will also be allowed to wear over another non-valved mask. 

But, why not just wear a "proper" N95 without a valve?  I'm honestly just curious.   If the airline gate agent decides even covering the valve still means you have a valve, you are screwed.  You can't argue with them.

4 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

I don't think anyone is saying masks do not work at all! Masks do help to reduce the spread. If you cough or sneeze and you have the virus, the mask will stop saliva or droplets being spread. However because the virus is one micron in size and even the best masks are only able to stop particles larger than 50 microns, they cannot stop aerosol size particles.

At least surgical grade N95 NIOSH are aerosol resistant.  End of the day, something is better than nothing as we are all saying though.  

5 hours ago, toston said:

I no longer allow myself to fly with airasia, more people should follow.

Why?  Over this?  They aren't the only airline doing this.  Finnar, Air France, Lufthansa, Swissair, Croatia and LATAM have all banned cloth masks and masks with valves now.   US airlines are all over the place with their bans and how they are defining what is acceptable and what isn't.  Delta for example, "cloth is okay as long as it's tightly woven".  Which I can imagine is just going to cause fights at the gate between passengers and agents.  

6 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Maybe wearing a mask over the nose and mouth is a starter.  So many just cover their mouths. Useless

God that is the most annoying thing!  Whenever I see that it just makes me cringe.  And 9 out of 10 times it is an expat here in Chiangmai.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mises said:

Absolute risk reduction was 1%, statistically insignificant amongst all the uncontrolled variables, some of which were admitted in the paper.

Really?

"Our results should not be taken to imply that masks can prevent only 10% of COVID-19 cases, let alone 10% of COVID-19 mortality," the authors wrote in the paper. That's because the intervention only led to 29 more people out of every 100 people to wear masks. "The total impact with near-universal masking–perhaps achievable with alternative strategies or stricter enforcement–may be several times larger than our 10% estimate," they wrote.

https://www.livescience.com/randomized-trial-shows-surgical-masks-work-curbing-covid.html

I bought a 5 pack of these really comfy ASA standard valve masks early last year... so good'n'tough, I am now only onto mask #4

I Napisan (the current mask at the time) every week, and good to go

I only replace them when the elastic straps finally give out... usually from the UV from sitting on the dashboard when not needed...  

Before these ones I used up my 30 cents ones; that I had prior only used when crawling about up in the ceiling where those fibreglass insulation matts fling glassfibres everywhere  

1 minute ago, tifino said:

I bought a 5 pack of these really comfy ASA standard valve masks early last year... so good'n'tough, I am now only onto mask #4

I Napisan (the current mask at the time) every week, and good to go

I only replace them when the elastic straps finally give out... usually from the UV from sitting on the dashboard when not needed...  

Before these ones I used up my 30 cents ones; that I had prior only used when crawling about up in the ceiling where those fibreglass insulation matts fling glassfibres everywhere  

Last year?  LOL   I am not sure a 5 pack is supposed to last that long.  Even the 3M 1860s are technically single use only.  Yours must smell ..... ripe mate.   LOL

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Really?

"Our results should not be taken to imply that masks can prevent only 10% of COVID-19 cases, let alone 10% of COVID-19 mortality," the authors wrote in the paper. That's because the intervention only led to 29 more people out of every 100 people to wear masks. "The total impact with near-universal masking–perhaps achievable with alternative strategies or stricter enforcement–may be several times larger than our 10% estimate," they wrote.

I am not sure I would trust a clinical test of out Bangladesh conducted in a village.   The CDC can barely conduct a controlled study right now.  

I trust the science and know N95 NIOSH masks work, but not sure this study is THE study.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Letseng said:

Valve ones Should have never been allowed but for hospital environment. 

Why would a hospital want to use masks with valves in them?  That negates the whole purpose. (We have already had this debate that masks with valves are not intended for health care and are primarily for industrial use.)  It also negates the liquid repellent coating that most hospitals want.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 1:40 PM, Smokey and the Bandit said:

No, even surgical masks can and do stop most aerosols from being exhaled. N95 masks can help prevent the wearer from inhaling them.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-covid-aerosol-mask-idUSL1N2PJ0T5

On 9/4/2021 at 6:39 PM, kurtmartens said:

I am not sure I would trust a clinical test of out Bangladesh conducted in a village.   The CDC can barely conduct a controlled study right now.  

I trust the science and know N95 NIOSH masks work, but not sure this study is THE study.

The study was conducted by Western scientists and rigorously carried out. As for your contention that the CDC can barely conduct a controlled study now, where does that claim come from?

• Like 1