learning at an isan construction site

BananaBandit

while at a typical isan village, if i want to learn how to build a simple house, can i tag along with a group of nearby construction workers and be one of their jobsite mules while i observe how they do things?   or is there a considerable chance i could get in trouble here for "working" in thailand?

just to clarify some things:   i'm married to a local woman.  i don't want any cash payment.   i'm still rather young and able-bodied.  and simple communication is (usually) not a problem for me here.

26 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Just sit in the shade with a cool box full of ice and beer, plus a few extras for the workers, and observe from a distance on how to short-cut everything for half finished job. 

That's correct observe what not to do if you want a good build. ????

• Like 2

When I bought my house here in Pattaya, we had my wife's uncles (that do construction work for a living) come down from Issan to do the remodeling on our house.  I wanted to learn and help also, so there were times I helped with an angle grinder or mixing cement or even just painting. 

Since this it won't be your own home you are "working" on, I'd just stick to observing. 

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1

I was hanging around our house build in Isaan, taking photos and relaxing in the shade whilst the builders did the job.

But they didn't mind as long as I gave them a few cheap drinks, and I was on a tourist visa so unfortunately I just wasn't allowed to help. ????????

14 minutes ago, sipi said:

I was hanging around our house build in Isaan, taking photos and relaxing in the shade whilst the builders did the job.

But they didn't mind as long as I gave them a few cheap drinks, and I was on a tourist visa so unfortunately I just wasn't allowed to help. ????????

Irrespective of your visa,  your not allowed to  help / work. 

4 hours ago, johng said:

The chance might not be "considerable"  but it's still risky..there are police informants everywhere who would get a cut of the proceeds from catching a "dirty foreigner" working without a permit

(even voluntary work requires a permit) I wouldn't chance it...just go along and observe, it's no fun doing hard labour in the sun,heat and humidity anyway.

Plus, the attitude/comments from the other locals observing could be that you're taking a job away from a local Thai.

1 hour ago, BananaBandit said:

But, in the future, if I'm on my wife's land, I can largely do as I please, correct?

I'll put it this way, my house is in my wife's name and I do any DIY construction projects I want and I never had any legal issues, but I have spoke with other farangs that say things like me simply cutting the lawn or trimming a tree is considered work and I'm taking a job away from a Thai and therefore illegal. 

Also all of my DIY stuff is simple one man projects like building a portion of the garden wall, repaint the house, replace plumbing/water pump, landscaping and once I finish learning stick welding I'm going to extend my patio roof.  I'm not sure where a farang building an entire house would fall in the legal/illegal category but I'd say do what you can and call in help when needed. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

I would not see any problem to come occasionally and observe the workers in a neighborhood. Especially, when the wife will be also attending sometimes and when to express some kind of your intention to hire them later, at least partially.

You surely should spent some money give them a job if they are from the same village or nearby, contracting them on a daily rate or a lump sum (mau), the job broke down to portions (with advance and balance payment), figuring yourself as a construction boss, buying all material (and some drinks as well).