Are you a Teacher to

rott

2 hours ago, robblok said:

sure had to insert have in between.. But like i said i post here without re reading everything i post and i type to fast.  But really bad accents of some English (havent met many Americans). I could hardly understand a word the guy said. It did not help that he was a bit drunk too. Not sure where he was from, but in general most people I understand there are just some that speak so strange it almost sound like a completely different language.

Later i realized this was the teacher forum so i should take more care.

Was he from Liverpool with the horrible accent like me..????

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Same thing applies, there are really smart and highly educated people who don't have those skills. I could probably write a lot better English if i re read what i posted before I hit submit. But why bother this forum is for fun not language and as long as you get the message across all is well. 

To right 

4 hours ago, lanng khao said:

County road Walton for me, bandit country..????

????????

Forgot to mention loose and lose or the apostrophe. No end to it. We're doomed. 

Speaking of the apostrophe, a formerly disreputable bar in Pattaya still has the signwritten name The Dog's Bollards. (no point getting deleted) 25 years ago even football hooligan bar owners understood grammar. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rott said:

????????

Forgot to mention loose and lose or the apostrophe. No end to it. We're doomed. 

Speaking of the apostrophe, a formerly disreputable bar in Pattaya still has the signwritten name The Dog's Bollards. (no point getting deleted) 25 years ago even football hooligan bar owners understood grammar. 

How about he gives "110%".....kind of hard to do when 100% is the total available....hear it all the time in usa especially re sports....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's an abbreviation of mathematics.  Hope this helps.

Hmm, well, now that I finally understand the thinking behind it, I have to wonder....

Is it an abbreviation, or a contraction?

One removes letters from an end of a word, while the other removes from the middle.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:05 AM, HeijoshinCool said:

Hmm, well, now that I finally understand the thinking behind it, I have to wonder....

Is it an abbreviation, or a contraction?

One removes letters from an end of a word, while the other removes from the middle.

Are you a real teacher then or possibly just an educated person.? 

So, in your opinion how long have too and to become interchangeable.? Is it just American English.?

Sorry for all the question marks. 

Thank you for making me aware of the difference between contraction and abbreviation. Previously I was totally ignorant of this. 

• Like 2

On 9/7/2021 at 3:25 PM, ballpoint said:

Its none of my busy ness, but take my advise and loose the attitude. Your making a fool of you're self. See those teachers over their having they're lunch? Well there laughing at you.  

Those TEFL types that are on 20,000 a month are probably laughing because it is the one day of the week that they can afford lunch. 

25 minutes ago, rott said:

Are you a real teacher then or possibly just an educated person.? 

So, in your opinion how long have too and to become interchangeable.? Is it just American English.?

Sorry for all the question marks. 

Thank you for making me aware of the difference between contraction and abbreviation. Previously I was totally ignorant of this. 

To and too are not interchangeable, anymore than there and their and they're, which often are nonetheless.

My dad was a teacher from the 1946 to 1980. He retired in disgust. I dropped out of 11th grade, joined the military, got my GED, and took a bunch of CLEP tests, jumping immediately to my sophomore year, then graduated in another year.

Why? Because from the age of three I was an insatiable reader. Never did my homework, (had already read the subject years earlier) just went to the library and read books of all kinds. How many kids can say that today?

Reading on paper is processed differently in the brain in regards to learning and retention, than reading on a screen. Technology is making us idiots.

Spell checkers and auto-fill don't help kids learn. 

Actually, I have noticed that Brits tend to have worse grammar and spelling than Yanks. Now, that is not an attack, no offense intended; I am half-Yank and half-Brit so I can freely comment on the deficiencies of both  ???? .

Too and to  misuse is simply a sign of the death of education over the last five decades. Interesting article here about the difference in level of education over the last hundred years:

https://newrepublic.com/article/79470/1895-8th-grade-final-exam-i-couldnt-pass-it-could-you

There are numerous similar articles out there.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and my dad grew up in Emporia, Kansas, not far from the Salina, Kansas mentioned in the article.

Edited by HeijoshinCool
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HeijoshinCool said:

To and too are not interchangeable, anymore than there and their and they're, which often are nonetheless.

My dad was a teacher from the 1946 to 1980. He retired in disgust. I dropped out of 11th grade, joined the military, got my GED, and took a bunch of CLEP tests, jumping immediately to my sophomore year, then graduated in another year.

Why? Because from the age of three I was an insatiable reader. Never did my homework, (had already read the subject years earlier) just went to the library and read books of all kinds. How many kids can say that today?

Reading on paper is processed differently in the brain in regards to learning and retention, than reading on a screen. Technology is making us idiots.

Spell checkers and auto-fill don't help kids learn. 

Actually, I have noticed that Brits tend to have worse grammar and spelling than Yanks. Now, that is not an attack, no offense intended; I am half-Yank and half-Brit so I can freely comment on the deficiencies of both  ???? .

Too and to  misuse is simply a sign of the death of education over the last five decades. Interesting article here about the difference in level of education over the last hundred years:

https://newrepublic.com/article/79470/1895-8th-grade-final-exam-i-couldnt-pass-it-could-you

There are numerous similar articles out there.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and my dad grew up in Emporia, Kansas, not far from the Salina, Kansas mentioned in the article.

I was always a voracious reader, not much at passing exams but I do have people telling me I am educated. Probably just because when you read a lot (and listen to people) you acquire knowledge. 

Those papers were a bit beyond me, different vocabulary and syllabus plus I do not know what 8th grade translates to in the UK. 

University entrance perhaps.? 

But thanks for taking the trouble with your interesting post. 

5 minutes ago, rott said:

I was always a voracious reader, not much at passing exams but I do have people telling me I am educated. Probably just because when you read a lot (and listen to people) you acquire knowledge. 

Those papers were a bit beyond me, different vocabulary and syllabus plus I do not know what 8th grade translates to in the UK. 

University entrance perhaps.? 

But thanks for taking the trouble with your interesting post. 

8th grade back then would have been 14 year-olds, or even younger.....

Edited by HeijoshinCool
  • Sad 1

On 9/4/2021 at 7:03 PM, sanuk711 said:

If anyone is looking for a Maths teacher, I'm available 25/7.........................................................:coffee1:

Is that 25/7/22 or 23.

Gosh we do have fun on here. 

On 9/7/2021 at 1:01 PM, robblok said:

But really bad accents of some English (havent met many Americans). I could hardly understand a word the guy said.

You are not alone. Once you get beyond the Watford Gap things can start getting tricky.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

You are not alone. Once you get beyond the Watford Gap things can start getting tricky.

To be honest there are some Dutch local accents I cant understand either. But in general that is just the older generation and maybe some youths but its amazing that even in a small country like the Netherlands you got some accents and even a separate language (Frisian).

Its ok if those who have such accents talk among themselves but some can't switch between their accent and the general accepted language of the country. That is a bit sad as one would expect that at school the "normal" language is taught.

On 9/13/2021 at 7:45 AM, Denim said:

Geordie is probably the most difficult to understand. Brummie is probably the saddest.