Are you a Teacher to

rott

4 hours ago, rott said:

If there are any here who taught English in their home countries, do you have any idea when people stopped knowing the difference between too and to.?

It will soon be as prevalent as could of, should of etc. 

Yours

Major Grumpy (retd.) 

Probably none of them taught in their home countries because they would have needed a qualification.   Ok, there may be, literally, one or two but the rest sure didn't.

"It will soon be as prevalent as could of, should of etc."

They're all looking at that with a vacant, puzzled expression wondering what you're talking about! 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, champers said:

Since when has teacher been spelt with a capital T? People in glass houses ......

Do you mean, "since when has 'teacher' been spelled with a capital 'T' "?

It's convention in headings.   People in glass houses...

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2021 at 1:40 PM, champers said:

Since when has teacher been spelt with a capital T? People in glass houses ......

So other than publicising your own ineptitude you are saying that the continuing growth of low levels of literacy does not bother you at all.?

It irritates the firk out of me, but I suppose some would say that means I have so. few things to worry about. 

On 9/4/2021 at 2:37 PM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

typical error by uneducated or non-native english speakers…….

Education level and English lever are not linked. There are a lot of native English speakers who speak better English, but have a far lower education then me. I wonder how those native English speakers would do with other languages. I would say non native speakers often speak more languages then native speakers who are often too lazy to do so.

Also some of the horrible accents native speakers are make it easier for me to understand a German speaking English then some of the native speakers. Not to mention the arrogance or stupidity of some native English speakers who rattle on in English louder and louder as if it would help the Thais to understand.

Edited by robblok
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, robblok said:

Education level and English lever are not linked.

I taught at a BKK private school with a Thai teacher, who was also a top administrator, who had absolutely atrocious English. Bad pronounciation, bad grammar, often searching for words. Who knows how she got the job. She's likely got high Thai degrees, but we know how those usually go.

Now I'm out in a podunk, country bumpkin, Issan govt school, I mean we got tractors frequenting the streets, and am happily working with Thai colleagues with much better English, not to mention much better attitudes, than her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I taught at a BKK private school with a Thai teacher, who was also a top administrator, who had absolutely atrocious English. Bad pronounciation, bad grammar, often searching for words. Who knows how she got the job. She's likely got high Thai degrees, but we know how those usually go.

Now I'm out in a podunk, country bumpkin, Issan govt school, I mean we got tractors frequenting the streets, and am happily working with Thai colleagues with much better English, not to mention much better attitudes, than her.

Like i said its not linked to education, some people pick up languages better then others. My GF is from SG works in a Thai company at a high level. But most of her peers or even higher up are not that good in English. (Its an international company). But all those people are really well educated and most are good at what they do. The fiction of English skill and education is just that a fiction.

What amuses me the most but its something I do understand for tourists but not for people living here is how complicated they make their orders in restaurants. Like i want a burger but hold the lettuce and other demands all in perfectly good English but saying such a thing to a lowly server will lead to disaster. Then they all act angry when it goes wrong. I usually simplify how i speak with Thais (when I use English instead of Thai) to get the best results. 

4 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

subject OP pertains to written english competency not spoken language skills or accents…

Same thing applies, there are really smart and highly educated people who don't have those skills. I could probably write a lot better English if i re read what i posted before I hit submit. But why bother this forum is for fun not language and as long as you get the message across all is well. 

you may be right but not in my day ( I’m 65).higher UK educational standards have dropped alarmingly over past 25 years or so, producing many graduates who have atrocious written native english, heavy use of slang & acronyms….. and poor basic maths too ( had to get in the subject “too”). it’s fine for this forum as you say. we understand the points made sufficiently without perfect english language or grammar. but it’s not something to be otherwise dismissed or tolerated as normal or acceptable. and no, i cannot be bothered using capital letters much here either (its not a graded essay) !

On 9/4/2021 at 3:37 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Probably none of them taught in their home countries because they would have needed a qualification.   Ok, there may be, literally, one or two but the rest sure didn't.

"It will soon be as prevalent as could of, should of etc."

They're all looking at that with a vacant, puzzled expression wondering what you're talking about! 

The qualifications to teach English as a Foreign Language in the UK are no different from Thailand.  In the UK more importance is placed on a decent TEFL qualification like a CELTA or Trinity TESOL, while in Thailand they care most about a degree and a nice face.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Education level and English lever are not linked. There are a lot of native English speakers who speak better English, but have a far lower education then me. I wonder how those native English speakers would do with other languages. I would say non native speakers often speak more languages then native speakers who are often too lazy to do so.

Also some of the horrible accents native speakers are make it easier for me to understand a German speaking English then some of the native speakers. Not to mention the arrogance or stupidity of some native English speakers who rattle on in English louder and louder as if it would help the Thais to understand.

"some of the horrible accents native speakers are", yes quite, I get your drift, damn spellcheck again. 

Edited by rott

5 minutes ago, rott said:

"some of the horrible accents native speakers are", yes quite, I get your drift, damn spellcheck again. 

sure had to insert have in between.. But like i said i post here without re reading everything i post and i type to fast.  But really bad accents of some English (havent met many Americans). I could hardly understand a word the guy said. It did not help that he was a bit drunk too. Not sure where he was from, but in general most people I understand there are just some that speak so strange it almost sound like a completely different language.

Later i realized this was the teacher forum so i should take more care.

Edited by robblok
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The qualifications to teach English as a Foreign Language in the UK are no different from Thailand.  In the UK more importance is placed on a decent TEFL qualification like a CELTA or Trinity TESOL, while in Thailand they care most about a degree and a nice face.

And how many here have no qualifications, I have met lorry drivers, bus drivers, a fitter's mate amongst others and a Russian who doesn't speak to anyone else. Don't know about the latter but all the others take their jobs seriously. They may not be good at explaining Shakespeare but generally are not required to. 

24 minutes ago, itsari said:

All English speaking people are aware of the difference between too and to . 

Many foreign English speaker's are not . 

So what 

Oh I can assure you that all "native" born English speakers are aware (nor really care unfortunately) about that difference. 

56 minutes ago, rott said:

And how many here have no qualifications, I have met lorry drivers, bus drivers, a fitter's mate amongst others and a Russian who doesn't speak to anyone else. Don't know about the latter but all the others take their jobs seriously. They may not be good at explaining Shakespeare but generally are not required to. 

There may be some here without any qualifications, but I expect most have a TEFL qualification of some sort (and a degree if they want to work legally).  Fortunately, explaining Shakespeare isn't required when teaching grammar and pronunciation to non-English speakers!

• Like 1