Microsoft Windows 11

ravip

Seems something installed via the last couple of updates (I cant exactly pinpoint which one), my Touchpad is having issues.

Taps are not recognised and the left button is not working. So far, did not find a solution. Seems this is a common issue and I hope MS will do something.

(...but my PC is a HP Probook 4530s, about 10 year, so...!!!

If you see an Invisible Annoying Box, just above the task bar in Windows 11...

(I get it quite often. If there is anything under it, you cannot click due to this box)

image.png.9931939afe4f73d580fecd04bf7f0502.pngSeems this is a known bug in Windows 11. At present all you can do is kill the process involved.

Open Task Manager and scroll down to Windows Explorer, then right click > Restart OR select the Details tab and right click on MiniSearchHost.exe and End task.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using windows 11 for some time been having trouble with internet speed , Tot came today and said the problem was with windows 11 as with there laptop the speed was ok 700/700 while Iwas getting 95/94. Dell support confimed this and told me to go to Dell Shop and they would get me windows io back. So has any person esle come across this problem

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, jonesthepost said:

I have been using windows 11 for some time been having trouble with internet speed , Tot came today and said the problem was with windows 11 as with there laptop the speed was ok 700/700 while Iwas getting 95/94. Dell support confimed this and told me to go to Dell Shop and they would get me windows io back. So has any person esle come across this problem

I also appear to get much lower speeds with Win 11.

First speed test below is Windows 10, second is Windows 11

I'm on 3BB fibre 1000/500 package.

W10 Speedtest.jpg

W11 Speedtest.jpg

Edited by Mutt Daeng
Format
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jonesthepost said:

Yes, seems this is a known issue although I have not experienced it my self.

Some users have mentioned that disabling IPv6 has solve the problem for them, while some others disagree.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ravip said:

A few suggestions, if you have not tried any before.

Some fixes suggested here should be tried by experienced users only - e.g. updating/uninstalling/reinstalling NIC drivers.

The guy from Tot  did all that and no go he said it was windows 11  and Dell Support said they have this problem with windows 11 and  I should revert to windows 10 as aman in his 80's it is not an easy thing to do I have ask microsoft why they have gone  ahead with windows 11 with a load of problems I doubt if  I will get a answer 

• Like 1

I believe I've mentioned before on this very thread that I'm running Windows 11. I'd say there's no reason to upgrade but Microsoft will start pushing aggressively.

I've had no particular issues it's been rather smooth and no bsods. Issues are rather minor and I would expect that many people running Windows 10 have more problems on their computers than I do running Windows 11.

Some quirky stuff hooking up to an old LCD projector is about the most serious issue that I've encountered.

I would highly advise everyone to not rush into Windows 11 only for the fact that it requires an email for every log on. The documentation stated that you can no longer do that work around where you create a username for someone else without an email but I found a way to do that no idea how long it might last.

I'm thinking the whole Windows 11 thing is really just about tracking you.

The start menu is extremely annoying although I become used to it. Even more than that the absolute most annoying thing about Windows 11 for me is it you cannot drag and drop files on the taskbar or application although I've heard that they are going to change that back... whenever.

Edited by TheScience

1 hour ago, robblok said:

@ravip

I still did not upgrade was planning too but with so many bugs why would anyone do so ? The computer I have is really new so there would probably not be many problems. The only advantage i see is the great multi monitor multi desktop support.

With new OS's, it is purely a matter of personal choice.

I try a new version as soon as it is available, but with caution.

With Windows 11, first I tried as a trial run by partitioning my HDD and having a dual-boot system. After a couple of months, I decided to upgrade and did.

So far, I am very happy with the performance and the ONLY issue I have is that the Touch Pad is not working due to a driver incompatibility. So far, I can live with it! ... and this on a HP ProBook 4530s which is over 10 years old (RAM 8GB)

So, in the end it is each individuals choice IMHO

image.png.7efb2b921f48f9ca41d93e749fe1848a.png

Edited by ravip

My desktop pc (i5-7400, 32GB Ram, SSD) doesn't pass the eligibility test to upgrade to Win 11 because the i5 is only 7th generation. That's BS as far as I am concerned. I know I can install Win 11 using a "modified" version of the MS media creation tool (I've done it on similar hardware) but I'd rather stick to Win 10. When support for Win 10 expires then I'll move to Ubuntu.

25 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

My desktop pc (i5-7400, 32GB Ram, SSD) doesn't pass the eligibility test to upgrade to Win 11 because the i5 is only 7th generation. That's BS as far as I am concerned. I know I can install Win 11 using a "modified" version of the MS media creation tool (I've done it on similar hardware) but I'd rather stick to Win 10. When support for Win 10 expires then I'll move to Ubuntu.

Move to Ubuntu now. If you don't have a reason to stick to Windows, like photoshop or autocad, why stay? Ubuntu will happily run Windows in a VitualBox VM as well.

I have run Ubuntu as my main OS for the past 12 years.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Move to Ubuntu now. If you don't have a reason to stick to Windows, like photoshop or autocad, why stay? Ubuntu will happily run Windows in a VitualBox VM as well.

I'm already running Ubuntu on another machine. The reason I don't move my desktop to Ubuntu is Microsoft Office which I use a lot, and in particular Outlook 2019, Word 2019 and Excel 2019. I know there are other "office packages" (WPS, LIbreoffice, Freeoffice etc, etc) out there, but TBH none of them are as 'feature rich" as MS Office products.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I'm already running Ubuntu on another machine. The reason I don't move my desktop to Ubuntu is Microsoft Office which I use a lot, and in particular Outlook 2019, Word 2019 and Excel 2019. I know there are other "office packages" (which I've looked at) out there, but TBH none of them are as 'feature rich" as MS Office products.

Have you looked at Libre Office? It is file compatible with MS Office. There may be some features you need if you use MS Office a lot, mainly integration with other MS products I would think.

https://ubunlog.com/en/las-mejores-suites-ofimaticas-gratuitas-para-ubuntu/

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Have you looked at Libre Office? It is file compatible with MS Office. There may be some features you need if you use MS Office a lot, mainly integration with other MS products I would think.

https://ubunlog.com/en/las-mejores-suites-ofimaticas-gratuitas-para-ubuntu/

Yes. I've tried opening documents in Libreoffice in the past and the formatting was all awry. I updated my original post while you were posting.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

I went right off Libreoffice when I found a file about the hyphenation rules in the Zulu language on my computer when I had told Libreoffice I only used English.  I then wondered how much other <deleted> was there by default and removed it.

1 hour ago, ravip said:

How would a manufacturer test their new product in a real world scenario?

they would use better programmers, be more careful with their Quality Assurance Program, and have a limited beta tester base,

but that would be expensive, so instead they cut costs and use everyone as rat labs ????

Thank you for your kind service, sir :)

16 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

and have a limited beta tester base,

On 2/14/2022 at 8:48 PM, GrandPapillon said:

MS is pushing the Win11 updates because they need bodies for beta testing ????

same old same old, with the usual suckers falling into the trap ????

So you do actually agree that they, and I would suggest all, innovations/innovators, need testers.

How do drugs get tested and approved without eventual human trials?

Also do not forget there is a very, very, small chance, that something a Beta tester would like to add to a system actually gets added to all our benefit.