Jump to content

Microsoft Windows 11


Recommended Posts

So, it seems Windows 10 will slowly get into the background with the arrival of Windows 11.

Has anyone installed same? From where did you get the ISO file?

 

Thought of doing a fresh installation of Windows 11 on a dual boot hard drive as I dont want to upgrade my Windows 10, as yet.

Always good to try out the new release and keep abreast IMHO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fools rush in where others sit back and wait until all the bugs have been sorted.....

Lots of people with older and not so old Pc's will have to buy new PC's if they want to use Windows 11, regards worgeordie

Truthfully, not sure if it would work for a clean install, I only tried this on a laptop upgrading (keep all).   Easiest way to clean install Windows 11 to a non-compatible computer is to do

Posted Images

I will wait as long as possible without being brute forced.

New windows, new problems.

And seemingly my 3 year old PC seems to lack that damned TPM chip.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What exactly is wrong in trying out a new OS on a dual boot HDD?

My intelligence cant fathom out some of the 'elite' answers to my simple question.

I  don't think anyone is forcing any software by force to anyone.

I know some people who still use XP - may be they aren't fools!

Trying out new stuff in a sandbox is also not a foolish act - IMHO

Anyways, my great appreciation for your quick advice.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ravip said:

Thought of doing a fresh installation of Windows 11 on a dual boot hard drive

If your Windows 10 is the pro version you could enable the Hyper-V feature and install Windows 11 as a virtual machine.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

If your  version you could enable the Hyper-V feature and install Windows 11 as a virtual machine.

Yes, it's Windows 10 Pro. Just downloaded the Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22000.132 from the Microsoft site - 5.235GB.

Thank you for the idea.

Edited by ravip
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ravip said:

Yes, it's Windows 10 Pro. Just downloaded the Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22000.132 from the Microsoft site - 5.235GB.

This looks like a good tutorial for installing Windows 11 as a Hyper-V guest.
https://winaero.com/how-to-install-windows-11-in-virtual-machine-on-hyper-v/

 

Once Windows 11 is installed use RDP to connect to it from the host machine. RDP provides a better experience, easier to copy files back and forth.

 

I'll be curious to hear how it works out for you as a Hyper-V guest.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

This looks like a good tutorial for installing Windows 11 as a Hyper-V guest.
https://winaero.com/how-to-install-windows-11-in-virtual-machine-on-hyper-v/

 

Once Windows 11 is installed use RDP to connect to it from the host machine. RDP provides a better experience, easier to copy files back and forth.

 

I'll be curious to hear how it works out for you as a Hyper-V guest.

Thank you once again.

Seems I will have some issues with the installation, as my PC also does not have TPM v2.0. But this link gives a work-around for that - of course, as I am doing this as a trial and not on my working PC, I don't mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Lots of people with older and not so old Pc's will

have to buy new PC's if they want to use Windows 11,

regards worgeordie

Can't help but think there will be hacks around to bypass that in due time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, katana said:

Can't help but think there will be hacks around to bypass that in due time.

They are already are around.  I have downloaded an ISO via magnet/torrent which has secure boot and TPM requirements disabled.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, KeeTua said:

This looks like a good tutorial for installing Windows 11 as a Hyper-V guest.
https://winaero.com/how-to-install-windows-11-in-virtual-machine-on-hyper-v/

 

Once Windows 11 is installed use RDP to connect to it from the host machine. RDP provides a better experience, easier to copy files back and forth.

 

I'll be curious to hear how it works out for you as a Hyper-V guest.

Finally managed to install the Windows11_InsiderPreview_EnterpriseVL_x64_en-gb_22000.iso on a Hyper-V machine on my Windows 10 Pro Laptop.

 

The installation was quite slow, but that I blame on my PC as it does not have a lot of resources. Unfortunately, the above ISO I downloaded, from Microsoft's Windows Insider program website, .was an 'Enterprise' version,  its asking to join an Organisations network for activation. 😞 Never thought of that!

 

Are these trial versions need to be activated? I wander if my Windows 10 Pro key would do the job - but am reluctant to do that!

 

Edited by ravip
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ravip said:

Are these trial versions need to be activated? I wander if my Windows 10 Pro key would do the job - but am reluctant to do that!

 

I haven't tried to install Windows 11 yet myself. You should be able to use if for 30 days with an occasional nag after that it may just disable some features. I run a a Win 7 VM that I never activated and it still works I think it won't allow me to customize the desktop now small things like that but I can still install and test software which is why I created the VM.

 

You definitely don't want to use your current Windows 10 key. Wait until you're satisfied with Windows 11 and I think it will be a free upgrade for your Windows 10 if your computer meets the requirements. It will work in a Hyper-V machine on a computer that otherwise doesn't have the necessary requirements because it creates the necessary requirements virtually.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

I haven't tried to install Windows 11 yet myself. You should be able to use if for 30 days with an occasional nag after that it may just disable some features. I run a a Win 7 VM that I never activated and it still works I think it won't allow me to customize the desktop now small things like that but I can still install and test software which is why I created the VM.

 

You definitely don't want to use your current Windows 10 key. Wait until you're satisfied with Windows 11 and I think it will be a free upgrade for your Windows 10 if your computer meets the requirements. It will work in a Hyper-V machine on a computer that otherwise doesn't have the necessary requirements because it creates the necessary requirements virtually.

 

Thank you very much for that helpful info.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2021 at 10:50 AM, worgeordie said:

Lots of people with older and not so old Pc's will

have to buy new PC's if they want to use Windows 11,

regards worgeordie

I have a laptop with one of those PCI hard drives, quite basic, and every time Windows tries an update, it takes about 30 minutes of rebooting until the updates are removed. The little guy just won't handle the updates, and Windows 11?!? Hahahaha!

Yesterday I finally got fed up, so pulled out the old Google machine and found out how to do the registry changes, change the updates preferences in settings, and update the policies with gpedit.msc.  I only use it for Google Meeting to get together with friends until personal meetings or bars are reopened.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fangless said:

They are already are around.  I have downloaded an ISO via magnet/torrent which has secure boot and TPM requirements disabled.

Yes, I know. I've even seen reports it was installed sucessfully and runs on an old Core 2 Duo.
What I meant was Microsoft have said that they will prevent updates to computers not meeting system requirements, even if you can get it installed, once the final release is out.
It was bypassing the update restrictions I was referrring to.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, katana said:

Yes, I know. I've even seen reports it was installed sucessfully and runs on an old Core 2 Duo.
What I meant was Microsoft have said that they will prevent updates to computers not meeting system requirements, even if you can get it installed, once the final release is out.
It was bypassing the update restrictions I was referrring to.

They are updating the version I have at present.  Should not be a major problem going forward as Win 11 is only meant to get 1 Big update per year and easy enough to do a manual upgrade/re-install every few months.

 

PS;  My copy is a pre-activated  US Pro version.

PPS;  Winaero tweaks  still work well on Win11.  Edge works well but slight problems with Outlook in Firefox

Edited by fangless
PS's added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ravip said:

Finally managed to install the Windows11_InsiderPreview_EnterpriseVL_x64_en-gb_22000.iso on a Hyper-V machine on my Windows 10 Pro Laptop.

 

The installation was quite slow, but that I blame on my PC as it does not have a lot of resources. Unfortunately, the above ISO I downloaded, from Microsoft's Windows Insider program website, .was an 'Enterprise' version,  its asking to join an Organisations network for activation. 😞 Never thought of that!

 

Are these trial versions need to be activated? I wander if my Windows 10 Pro key would do the job - but am reluctant to do that!

 

It's a Volume Licence product; your key would not work anyway. Any reason why you chose Enterprise VL, as opposed to the Client Insider Preview?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

It's a Volume Licence product; your key would not work anyway. Any reason why you chose Enterprise VL, as opposed to the Client Insider Preview?

Where is there a connection between "insider preview downloads" and "Volume Licence product  keys?

There are no keys involved with the insider programme.  They only apply with full working Beta, not Developer downloads.  I have used/use both!

Edited by fangless
Link to post
Share on other sites

Windows 11 will need some serious hardware. 

 

I've been using with the "Insider Windows program".

I like it.

 

In the end I don't think my laptop will be enough despite buying it for 1900.00 2 years ago.

 

Funny thing I think my new smartphone is more powerful than that laptop.

 

"Older hardware is less likely to pass Windows 11's stringent compatibility checks; Intel 7th Generation Core processors, for example, are not on the list of compatible CPUs, nor are PCs built using AMD Zen 1 processors. PCs purchased in 2016 or earlier are almost certain to be unsupported."

 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-11-faq-heres-everything-you-need-to-know/

 

I Think its releasing next month.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shdmn said:

They do that on purpose to increase hardware sales.  With lots of 'encouragement' from Intel and AMD

Probably.

 

A lot more security though and power.

 

Give and take.

 

To bad computers in Thailand are so expensive and lag years behind the USA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fangless said:

Where is there a connection between "insider preview downloads" and "Volume Licence product  keys?

There are no keys involved with the insider programme.  They only apply with full working Beta, not Developer downloads.  I have used/use both!

No connection. Was trying to find out if downloading Enterprise, as opposed to Client, was by choice.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ravip said:

I downloaded the ISO from the Windows Insider Channel.

Today I decided to geek out some so downloaded the ISO and installed it as a Hyper-V guest. Creating the virtual machine went smoothly and after Windows 11 updated itself I ended up with the same version as you.

 

After the Windows 11 guest finished updating itself I disabled automatic updates using Group Policy. In advanced system settings on the Visual Effects tab I selected 'Adjust for best performance' which made the Win 11 virtual machine a bit more zippy, before changing that setting I felt there had been a slight delay when clicking items and now the processor has settled down nicely too. I'm not sure if these changes were necessary maybe I didn't give the operating system enough time to settle in after it updated itself.

 

I renamed the Win 11 virtual guest to a user friendly name and enabled remote desktop connections. Now I connect to the guest from the Win 10 host using Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) and the user friendly computer name I gave it. I saved the RDP settings to the desktop for easy connections later. Now I can start the guest in the Hyper-V management console and once its running the management console can be closed, the guest will continue running. Then I use the saved RDP shortcut to connect to the guest machine.

 

A bit more advanced you can create and save a PowerShell script to start a Hyper-V guest so you don't even need to open the management console, just click the script and the virtual machine fires up then click your saved RDP shortcut and you're using the guest more or less like it is the host machine.

Edited by KeeTua
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 9:21 AM, ravip said:

I downloaded the ISO from the Windows Insider Channel.

The options they offered were these;

 

311358747_Win11options.jpg.1a8721cac3e29a9488f70813c51ee5c3.jpg

After the installation, when it was asking for a product key, I searched the net and tried some, but was not successful. For some, it was requesting to join an organisations network.

 

The final installed version was this;

Winver11.jpg.10c8ac322bafaef16fa62bfe983d55d8.jpg

 

But as @KeeTua suggested, I will use it as is for the limited time period with the limited options available. Let's see how it goes!

you have only 10 days (rollback) to use auto-return to Win 10 .....(when used the normal upgrade option from Win10...)

Edited by david555
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...