Microsoft Windows 11

ravip

On 10/14/2021 at 9:32 AM, chrisinth said:

If anybody wants/needs to upgrade to Windows 11 on unsupported computers, it is probably best to use Microsoft's own work-around to do this. It involves making a registry entry and DWord, and works for no TPM or non recognized CPU.

New Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup

New Dword: AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU

Change the Dword value to 1.

Here is the MS link where Microsoft explain it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77ac7c70e?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=kXQk6*ivFEQ&ranSiteID=kXQk6.ivFEQ-8AwFob_tAv6iipVDh8rxZQ&epi=kXQk6.ivFEQ-8AwFob_tAv6iipVDh8rxZQ&irgwc=1&OCID=AID2200057_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=(ir__yo0rn2h3ekkf6ivpsghqksibeu2xrcav1f1gnmt200)(7593)(1243925)(kXQk6.ivFEQ-8AwFob_tAv6iipVDh8rxZQ)()&irclickid=_yo0rn2h3ekkf6ivpsghqksibeu2xrcav1f1gnmt200

As this is from Microsoft and publicly accessible, it should be termed as a work-around and not a hack, thus abiding with the forum rules. 

At this point, it is unclear if Microsoft will later stop updates to computers not meeting the minimal requirements for Windows 11, so if anyone uses this method they should be aware. If planning to test W11 more than 10 days (period in which you can roll-back), I would advise taking an image of your system before you start. 

Work-around for the rollback period is to rename Windows.old (File created after the upgrade) to something else and Windows won't delete it after 10 days as it won't be able to find it. Name it back to Windows.old when/if you want to rollback. Or you can extend the rollback period through DISM commands.

This can be done only on an upgrade, isn't it?

I wonder if there is some work-around for a fresh Windows 11 installation on an unsupported computer?

32 minutes ago, ravip said:

This can be done only on an upgrade, isn't it?

I wonder if there is some work-around for a fresh Windows 11 installation on an unsupported computer?

You could try and see if this still works.

It worked on a virtual machne when I tried ot right after the initial release.

https://betanews.com/2021/07/03/registry-hack-bypass-tpm-windows-11/

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2021 at 12:21 PM, chrisinth said:

Truthfully, not sure if it would work for a clean install, I only tried this on a laptop upgrading (keep all).

Easiest way to clean install Windows 11 to a non-compatible computer is to download the ISO from Microsoft and burn the ISO to USB using Rufus (3.17). Thanks for the heads up on this @fangless! Rufus can be got here: https://rufus.ie/en/ Either 3.17 or 3.17 portable works.

58899639_RufusDownload.jpg.a1c3f7f71539f4baca8c5b0126385186.jpg

and the W11 ISO from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows11

Scroll down the page until you get to the ISO section, select Windows 11 from the dropdown and click Download. This will open a new dropdown, select your language and click Confirm. Your ISO will start downloading.

1859491067_w11download-1.jpg.5a19e312c5f91e28929baf712531ac99.jpg

1478208354_w11download-2.jpg.b40b084fe78b5857abb8d8624c1a7b32.jpg

Once download has completed, insert your USB and open Rufus 3.17. Make sure the Device is correct for your USB and navigate to your ISO file and select. Once the ISO has been selected, dropdown the Image Option and select "Extended Windows 11 Installation (no TPM/no secure Boot)"

1515559063_RufusDownload-3.jpg.5b3ab3911985377bcc9242479b85662a.jpg

After this is done, select MBR for the partition scheme, change the volume label if you want, and click Start. (I think the MBR selection is optional, not sure)

191423581_RufusDownload-4.jpg.fefe95854873b53cb0c3363c13b63d25.jpg

Close Rufus when complete, extract the W11 USB and carry on with your new clean install. Change your BIOS/Boot order to boot from USB.

This method works, personally used it. IMO, Microsoft are going to allow work-arounds like this, albeit not making it public knowledge. In the past they have allowed key generators/KMS activators/etc from Windows 95 with no real effort to block them, can't see them changing now.

Today, I followed your procedure on a Windows 11 unsupported HP ProBook 4530s with 8GB RAM and an Intel Core i5 2430M (Sandy Bridge), Cores 2, Threads 4.

Installation went like a dream and the initial performance is quite acceptable (at least in this early stage). Only issue is the snip & sketch error which I will look into soon. Some drivers I installed manually.

winver.jpg.1406e0c19de021a25c0aa34f41cec8ce.jpg

error.jpg.9290d0db063b8898a637dd6b7ba55356.jpg

Earlier I installed a Beta version on a VM, but that was excruciatingly slow! But this installation is running quite reasonably on a 10 year old PC!

I installed it as a dual boot system, as I dont want to migrate right now.

@chrisinthThank you very much for your clear and precise instructions.

• Like 1

I do it slightly differently, as always. ????

If you already have  Windows 10 installation media suitable for your device containing an install.wim and you know how to download(or already have) Windows 11 media containing an install.wim. you can simply replace the Windows 10 install.wim with the Windows 11 install.wim.

27 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

I do it slightly differently, as always. ????

If you already have  Windows 10 installation media suitable for your device containing an install.wim and you know how to download(or already have) Windows 11 media containing an install.wim. you can simply replace the Windows 10 install.wim with the Windows 11 install.wim.

I will try that on my next installation.

22 hours ago, fangless said:

For those of you are still having problems with the snipping tool etc this link might help;

Windows 11 Is Breaking Because Microsoft Forgot Something (howtogeek.com)

I read your link and it says "For Snipping Tool, Microsoft doesn’t seem to have a fix yet," but then I looked at my Windows update options and this weekend it offered a new update, not the one mentioned in the link above, and now the Win11 snipping tool works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

I read your link and it says "For Snipping Tool, Microsoft doesn’t seem to have a fix yet," but then I looked at my Windows update options and this weekend it offered a new update, not the one mentioned in the link above, and now the Win11 snipping tool works.

Yes MS have rushed up a new update fix so my link is now out of date!

PS;  Thanks. I had actually meant to say that this morning and forgot to post it; Windows 11 Update Fixes Bugs in Snipping Tool and Other Apps (howtogeek.com)

Edited by fangless
PS added.
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 6:10 PM, ravip said:

Installation went like a dream and the initial performance is quite acceptable (at least in this early stage). Only issue is the snip & sketch error which I will look into soon. Some drivers I installed manually.

Good to hear the install went OK! The problem with the snip & sketch (also snipping tool, getting started, emoji panel, touch keyboard and some more) was another issue. Apparently they let a  Microsoft Digital Certificate expired on the 31st October and this is what was causing the problems for some W11 users.

Microsoft released KB5008295 "out-of-band" update (emergency update) on the 06th November and this will fix crashing default apps. If you are still having problems, check that you have this update and all should be good.

Edit: Mentioned by @Digitalbanana & @fangless before this post (replied before reading)

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2021 at 7:38 PM, Digitalbanana said:

I don't remember if Win 10 has this capability, but Win 11 has the ability to attach the snipping tool to the PC's PrtScr key, so hit the PrtScr key and the Snipping tool opens. Easier to remember than Windows-Shift-S.

On my dual-boot PC, I found my Windows 11 automatically activated! Luckily, my Windows 10 too is still up and running.

Is this normal? MS detects my MS email address and links Windows 11 to it and activate it automatically? - as long as my Windows 10 is licensed, I guess.

win10.jpg.d67bf59bda822d1b5fa0a4c41931e705.jpg

win11.jpg.8fec5e18e9a1a251dd089489b225d043.jpg

Edited by ravip
added pics

On 9/6/2021 at 9:20 AM, worgeordie said:

Lots of people with older and not so old Pc's will

have to buy new PC's if they want to use Windows 11,

regards worgeordie

I installed Windows 11 on a PC that is about 10 years old and it is working quite good.

• Like 2

Even though snipping tool now starts and mostly on Win11 it seems to have rekindled some of the bad traits the earlier releases of snipping tool had on Win10 before they were fixed. i.e. if I use the free-form shape snipper or any of the pen or highlighter tools on any snipped image my screens flicker on and off!

Edited by Digitalbanana

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 1:17 PM, userabcd said:

Windows 10 is supported until Oct 2025 so there is no reason to not keep using it.

Well, I'm kinda salivating for the new Intel Alder Lake processors. Looks like there will be a new rig for me next year once the availability of i9 and Socket 1700 MoBo's is stabilized. The word is that Intel has worked together with Microsoft, and Win11 will run much faster and more efficient on the Alder Lake due to changes in Scheduler to take advantage of the different cores. Seems I will have no choice there.

To that effect I'm running Windows 11 in VMware on my main rig and ThinkPad. VMware 16.2 will allow you to create a virtual TPM. I installed a Windows 10 that got registered and upgraded to Windows 11 that now is registered too. It runs quite fast, but there are "features" of Win11 that I definitely dislike, context menu being one of them.

I prefer VMware as I have used it for years, and have a free key for Workstation Pro from my previous employer, but VMware Player is free to use and much more sophisticated than Hyper-V. I also run the free version of VMware ESXi hypervisor on another rig, but this one doesn't support Win11 and runs only couple of Linux instances.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Well, I'm kinda salivating for the new Intel Alder Lake processors. Looks like there will be a new rig for me next year once the availability of i9 and Socket 1700 MoBo's is stabilized. The word is that Intel has worked together with Microsoft, and Win11 will run much faster and more efficient on the Alder Lake due to changes in Scheduler to take advantage of the different cores. Seems I will have no choice there.

To that effect I'm running Windows 11 in VMware on my main rig and ThinkPad. VMware 16.2 will allow you to create a virtual TPM. I installed a Windows 10 that got registered and upgraded to Windows 11 that now is registered too. It runs quite fast, but there are "features" of Win11 that I definitely dislike, context menu being one of them.

I prefer VMware as I have used it for years, and have a free key for Workstation Pro from my previous employer, but VMware Player is free to use and much more sophisticated than Hyper-V. I also run the free version of VMware ESXi hypervisor on another rig, but this one doesn't support Win11 and runs only couple of Linux instances.

@SpaceKadet Thanks for the info about creating a virtual TPM in VMware Player 16.2. 

4 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

@SpaceKadet Thanks for the info about creating a virtual TPM in VMware Player 16.2. 

You can add TPM easy with VMware Workstation., but on the Player you'll have to edit the vmx file manually.

More info here: https://www.ghacks.net/2021/11/02/how-to-enable-tpm-2-0-support-in-vmware-workstation-player/

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2021 at 1:08 AM, SpaceKadet said:

Going a bit of the W11 topic, but .............

If you are planning on getting a new box, you might want to think about the new Kingston KC3000 PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 series for your storage. Just reading about this today.

This guy was getting 7118 MB/s Read & 6057 MB/s Write speeds with CrystalDiskMark. Granted he was transferring 1GB from one PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 board to another, but that is insane.

Link to the Vid................

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

Going a bit of the W11 topic, but .............

If you are planning on getting a new box, you might want to think about the new Kingston KC3000 PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 series for your storage. Just reading about this today.

This guy was getting 7118 MB/s Read & 6057 MB/s Write speeds with CrystalDiskMark. Granted he was transferring 1GB from one PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 board to another, but that is insane.

Link to the Vid................

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

I'm very much a Samsung man when it comes to NVMe. They have proven their reliability and speed over the time I have been using them. Their PCI 4.0 980 Pro is quoting similar figures. Not cheap though, thinking of getting 1 TB for the boot drive and leave the current 970 Evo plus on the current rig when it gets relegated to other tasks, like running my penguin farm within ESXi...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Microsoft is making available the Windows 11 update KB5008353 for devices enrolled in the Beta and Release Preview channels of the Windows Insider Program.

The update KB5008353 bumps the version number to build 22000.466, and according to the official notes, fixes a long list of issues regarding ARM64 devices, language, networking, account, high dynamic range (HDR), Bluetooth, and more, which the company is expected to release in the stable channel during the February Patch Tuesday update.

Windows 11 build 22000.466 complete list of fixes

https://pureinfotech.com/kb5008353-windows-11-build-22000-466-preview/

• Like 1