Microsoft Windows 11

ravip

1 hour ago, DezLez said:

So you do actually agree that they, and I would suggest all, innovations/innovators, need testers.

How do drugs get tested and approved without eventual human trials?

Also do not forget there is a very, very, small chance, that something a Beta tester would like to add to a system actually gets added to all our benefit.

Just ask Big Pharma how they do it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ravip said:

10 year old laptop

It must be pretty sluggish.

With top end phones I find I barely even bother with my laptop anymore.

Great to have though.  Our kids use the laptops for online learning during the pandemic.

Microsoft reveals how the next update will speed up Windows 11

On any version of Windows, you will find a handful of processes running in the background and actively using the system resource even in the idle state. We can monitor the active processes or programs with Task Manager and use the “end task” feature if the process is slowing down the system.

Task Manager is for performance control and it can tell you how much of your resources background processes take up. These system resources include CPU, RAM, GPU or even network bandwidth. If an app is aggressively using system resources in an idle state, you may use Task Manager’s “End task” feature to dismiss the process.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2022/02/22/interesting-details-of-windows-11s-performance-feature-efficiency-mode-revealed/

• Like 1

Anyone installed the KB5010414 update? It appeared as ready to install on my 21H2 Win11 Home laptop system so installed it and ever since then the system is slow to boot (task bar/start menu takes 5 minutes to appear whereas it should be seconds) unless I disconnect all external monitors and then plug them in again after the system has started. Without external monitors (I have them running on HDMI and USB ports)  the system boots OK. Laptop uses integrated Intel graphics.

On 9/6/2021 at 10:50 AM, worgeordie said:

Lots of people with older and not so old Pc's will

have to buy new PC's if they want to use Windows 11,

regards worgeordie

If forced to upgrade to Win11, it will run in a VirtualBox VM on my Linux system.  I'm not buying a super computer to run a Microsoft product.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 12:10 PM, Digitalbanana said:

ever since then the system is slow to boot (task bar/start menu takes 5 minutes to appear whereas it should be seconds)

Don't know about you guys, but for me turning off the new(?) Win11 feature/bug of showing task bar on all displays solved the problem. Only showing task bar on main display has the system running acceptably, otherwise its an abortion.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:40 AM, Digitalbanana said:

Anyone installed the KB5010414 update? It appeared as ready to install on my 21H2 Win11 Home laptop system so installed it and ever since then the system is slow to boot (task bar/start menu takes 5 minutes to appear whereas it should be seconds) unless I disconnect all external monitors and then plug them in again after the system has started. Without external monitors (I have them running on HDMI and USB ports)  the system boots OK. Laptop uses integrated Intel graphics.

Yes I did since 17/02/2022 and found no issues. 

Please see link below which mentions some problems with this KB.

Windows 11 KB5010414 accidentally hides Start Menu, Microsoft responds >>>

https://www.windowslatest.com/2022/02/28/windows-11-kb5010414-hides-start-menu-microsoft-says-its-not-a-bug/

winkb.jpg

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1

Windows 11 KB5011493 released with several new features

Windows 11 KB5011493 has been released for everyone as part of the Patch Tuesday cycle and it comes with several new features. Microsoft also published Windows 11 KB5011493 offline installers and these installers can be used to manually upgrade the devices to the latest version.

KB5011493 contains all fixes and improvements from the previous optional cumulative update. Windows 11 Patch Tuesday release introduces new taskbar features, but remember that these features are enabled on your device already if you installed the optional updates.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2022/03/09/windows-11-kb5011493-released-with-several-new-features/

13 hours ago, ravip said:

Windows 11 KB5010414 accidentally hides Start Menu, Microsoft responds >>>

Yes, there were THREE annoying features I found. I fixed them myself without reading online support forums.

1. The start bar doesn't show at all when using multiple monitors, for at least 5-10 minutes and drags on CPU. Fix - taskbar settings - set to only show on one screen.

2. Once start menu is enabled, the start menu disappears if you hover mouse over the small gap between start button bar and start menu. Fix - don't hover mouse there! Why is this a feature??

3. The widgets tabloid news taskbar button nonsense does not recognize default browser and opens Edge and leaves it on. Fix - switch off widgets altogether. Garbage news waste of CPU.

• Like 1

if you install KB5011563 update on a unsupported pc u will get a watermark this is how u can get rid of it

Before you go ahead, it is worth noting that incorrect registry edits can damage your installation so proceed at your own risk. The method in question was discovered by Deskmodder:

1. Run "Regedit" (Windows key + R and type it in) or type "Regedit" in the Search box on Taskbar
  2. Find the "UnsupportedHardwareNotificationCache": HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\UnsupportedHardwareNotificationCache
  3. Modify the SV2 DWORD value inside it from 1 to 0
  4. Save
  5. Refresh

In case you don't find the "UnsupportedHardwareNotificationCache", you can also create the key yourself by:

1. Right-clicking on Control Panel folder inside Regedit
  2. New > Key > name it "UnsupportedHardwareNotificationCache"
  3. Add the SV2 DWORD sub-key inside this folder
  4. Modify the SV2 DWORD value inside it from 1 to 0
  5. Save
  6. Refresh
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

June 2022. About to buy Acer Aspire A315-23-R69S for 12K baht.

Has Windows 11 installed already but am worried about new problems as currently on free Windows 10 .....any advice about Windows 11 problems much appreciated as I'm low -tech.

On 6/21/2022 at 5:02 PM, ravip said:

I hope this video will be of use to some Windows users

Most too lazy to dig around. Why not just give some links to a few freeware programs that to do the same and much more as well?