Microsoft Windows 11

ravip

Create a bootable windows 11 usb using the microsoft tool and do a fresh install or

Use rufus tool to install windows 11 on an unsupported pc without tpm 2.0 or secure boot enabled.

I tried win 11 and it worked well initially but after 24hrs little bugs and annoyances started to show, it seems like a beta product and so went back to windows 10 pro.

Edited by userabcd

10 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Create a bootable windows 11 usb using the microsoft tool and do a fresh install or

Use rufus tool to install windows 11 on an unsupported pc without tpm 2.0 or secure boot enabled.

I tried win 11 and it worked well initially but after 24hrs little bugs and annoyances started to show, it seems like a beta product and so went back to windows 10 pro.

Yes, it still is a Beta product, I guess.

I installed it on a virtual machine just to get the hang of it.

By the way, if you are interested try Ventoy .

Ventoy is an open source tool to create bootable USB drive for ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI files.

With ventoy, you don't need to format the disk over and over, you just need to copy the ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI files to the USB drive and boot them directly.

You can copy many files at a time and ventoy will give you a boot menu to select them .

screen_bios2.png

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Windows 10 is supported until Oct 2025 so there is no reason to not keep using it.

Absolutely!

But if one is buying a new PC, should keep in mind about the compatibility for future upgrade (if the OS is not installed).

Then, some guys (like me) just like to play around with new OS's as they are released! ????

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chrisinth said:

2021-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5005635)

2021-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5006674)

Might be a dumb question, but if it's cumulative why do you need the first one?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moncul said:

Might be a dumb question, but if it's cumulative why do you need the first one?

Pretty sure the first one came down with the upgrade. The second one, KB5006674 was Tuesday's release, downloaded and installed by me today.

I took the KB numbers from the install update history.

Cumulative Windows updates usually come out the second Tuesday every month.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, chrisinth said:

If anybody wants/needs to upgrade to Windows 11 on unsupported computers, it is probably best to use Microsoft's own work-around to do this. It involves making a registry entry and DWord, and works for no TPM or non recognized CPU.

New Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup

New Dword: AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU

Change the Dword value to 1.

Here is the MS link where Microsoft explain it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77ac7c70e?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=kXQk6*ivFEQ&ranSiteID=kXQk6.ivFEQ-8AwFob_tAv6iipVDh8rxZQ&epi=kXQk6.ivFEQ-8AwFob_tAv6iipVDh8rxZQ&irgwc=1&OCID=AID2200057_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=(ir__yo0rn2h3ekkf6ivpsghqksibeu2xrcav1f1gnmt200)(7593)(1243925)(kXQk6.ivFEQ-8AwFob_tAv6iipVDh8rxZQ)()&irclickid=_yo0rn2h3ekkf6ivpsghqksibeu2xrcav1f1gnmt200

As this is from Microsoft and publicly accessible, it should be termed as a work-around and not a hack, thus abiding with the forum rules. 

At this point, it is unclear if Microsoft will later stop updates to computers not meeting the minimal requirements for Windows 11, so if anyone uses this method they should be aware. If planning to test W11 more than 10 days (period in which you can roll-back), I would advise taking an image of your system before you start. 

Work-around for the rollback period is to rename Windows.old (File created after the upgrade) to something else and Windows won't delete it after 10 days as it won't be able to find it. Name it back to Windows.old when/if you want to rollback. Or you can extend the rollback period through DISM commands.

Didn't work for me. I have no doubt MS will make those threats regarding later updates  or pc's malfunctioning because they and a few others dream that suddenly billions of people with claimed unsupported machines will go out and buy new ones from MS or their favoured partners. I have no doubt when that does not happen MS will quietly update their Win 11 to upgrade/install onto other pcs without problem and also receive updates. It is in my view a sales model that will blow up in their face.

I have downloaded a workaround media creation tool  and it is working fine , in fact I am finding it marginally quicker than Win 10.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 11:33 PM, ravip said:

So, it seems Windows 10 will slowly get into the background with the arrival of Windows 11.

Has anyone installed same? From where did you get the ISO file?

I've been using it during preview phases and now that it's in beta. Enrolled in Microsoft's beta program. Their system checks to see if your PC is compatible and after a butt ton of updates, you have a Win 11 system. It's pretty snappy IMO, but nothing that would make me run out to install it. When we upgrade our gaming PCs next year, it will come with 11 preinstalled. We'll just do a clean wipe to have vanilla 11 and go from there. But again, nothing to rush into if what you have fits your needs.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 11:50 PM, worgeordie said:

Lots of people with older and not so old Pc's will

have to buy new PC's if they want to use Windows 11,

regards worgeordie

Luckily when I bought my Windows 7 powered laptop I got plenty of RAM, processor capbaility, Solid state drive etc.  I have NOT switched to Windows 10.  Used windows 10 at work and all it did was make me click more times and navigate more menus to do the same things I did before.   It was a big disruption going from 7 to 10 at work.  I worked at Northrop Grumman and with 200,000 or whatever employees, lots of issues.  Our labs and locally developed applications were all big problems requiring all sorts of work to be rehosted. Some had to be completely redone.  The sad thing is I bet 90% of the computer users, even engineers had no need to go to 10.  It did nothing more that they needed.  If the changes were transparent, then fine, give me windows 27, issues patches, upgrades, etc.  But every 10 years changing the gauge of the rail road tracks is not good.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fangless said:

That may explain why many ATMs around the world still run on Windows XP!

I do remember that many were on XP.  Lately I have noticed that ATM menus keep changing, moving icons around, asking more and more questions, "check balance", Set default with drawal, etc.  Sheesh. 

On 10/15/2021 at 2:40 AM, fangless said:

Because they accumulate!

You have to add them on to the 1st one.

Erm...

Cumulative updates are updates that bundle multiple updates, both new and previously released updates. Cumulative updates were introduced with Windows 10 and have been backported to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 5:10 AM, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

I've been using it during preview phases and now that it's in beta. Enrolled in Microsoft's beta program. Their system checks to see if your PC is compatible and after a butt ton of updates, you have a Win 11 system. It's pretty snappy IMO, but nothing that would make me run out to install it. When we upgrade our gaming PCs next year, it will come with 11 preinstalled. We'll just do a clean wipe to have vanilla 11 and go from there. But again, nothing to rush into if what you have fits your needs.

Mine has stopped updating completely at build 20000 because it doesn't support the checks.

Mind you it's that old it doesn't even have TPM.

????

Maybe this will work for some but it didn't work for me.

https://www.techspot.com/news/91691-here-how-bypass-windows-11-tpm-cpu-requirements.html

• Haha 1

I installed windows 11 yesterday  ther is no start button after a search the answer was it is in the middle of the taskbar no nothing there so then tried going to task manager which said open taskmanager and restart windows  no way does that work. As for shut down I use alt and f4 to shut down any body any clues.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, jonesthepost said:

I installed windows 11 yesterday  ther is no start button after a search the answer was it is in the middle of the taskbar no nothing there so then tried going to task manager which said open taskmanager and restart windows  no way does that work. As for shut down I use alt and f4 to shut down any body any clues.

Didn't you get something like this?

What exactly is your Windows 11 version, please?

1621405343_Win11.jpg.5e3ac7c9ff04722fc5fc7dc4f2eefb31.jpg

• Like 1

In the past month, both windows computers we have (from Thailand) have had popups saying your license has expire please renew or something like that. Well, you know what they are being form Thailand. This made me think about real versions again. I bought many of the old ones up to Windows 7 and was happy and could install them. Then I bought a new laptop and Windows 7 wouldn't work so I had to use Windows 10 but at that time gave up and did what 90% of Thailand does instead of buying the real thing. Now, there's Windows 11 and some are talking about needing another faster PC for the best experience. It all gets boring.

I don't like this number 7.8.10.11 bs too. They used to go by year. Are you buying into a 2011 Windows version? Shouldn't it be Windows 21? How about using a color like Microsoft Blue or Windows Omega.

Just ranting. I'll cough up the money, try to use Ubuntu again or buy an Apple.

• 2 weeks later...

Win11 installed itself on my PC today. Already found a bug, the Snipping Tool doesn't work. It says "A problem with Windows is preventing Screen Snipping from opening. Refreshing your PC might help fix it." I've only just installed Win11 so I'm not going to refresh (reinstall) it again!

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Win11 installed itself on my PC today. Already found a bug, the Snipping Tool doesn't work. It says "A problem with Windows is preventing Screen Snipping from opening. Refreshing your PC might help fix it." I've only just installed Win11 so I'm not going to refresh (reinstall) it again!

https://www.pcguide.com/windows-11/how-to/snipping-tool-broken-error/

17 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

I did my Windows 11 installation on a VM, but until now no issues - just painfully slow, because it's running on a VM - Snipping Tool too works fine.

winver.jpg.bfb9abe1c519f655a0c9a9a817804d06.jpg