Does Immigration make any provision for old people?

55 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

That's the cheapest rate I have seen, who does it for that?

For Pattaya PM me if you like and I'll tell you, others charge 13,500 for nothing extra, of course re-entries are an add-on same as Immigration

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Ombra said:

I have about a two-hour drive and I am hoping to be at the bank by 9 a.m. and then at Immigration by 10.

If your visit to the bank is for the account verification letter have you thought about visiting a local branch of your bank the day before to get the letter?

Then you could get an earlier start and arrive at Immigration before it opens and may be be one of the first helped. Possibly all done by 9:30.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

If your visit to the bank is for the account verification letter have you thought about visiting a local branch of your bank the day before to get the letter?

Then you could get an earlier start and arrive at Immigration before it opens and may be be one of the first helped. Possibly all done by 9:30.

Maybe Hua Hin are one of those offices which insist on bank statements & letters being obtained the same day as annual extensions are applied for?? That said, the OP could always ask them whether an exception could be permitted in his (frail) circumstances.

Edited by OJAS

15 hours ago, Ombra said:

As for hotels, I have tried that and just slept badly because people go to Hua Hin to have a good time, which generally involves making a fair bit of noise.

If you want a quiet hotel then I would recommend Baan Manthana House which is where we stay when we drive up from Bang Saphan Noi. We like to make it our base for a couple of days when I have to do my extension of stay at Hua Hin Immigration. Just a couple of minutes from the night market and everything else you would need. But a very quiet location!!

Hua Hin Immigration are very friendly and normally takes no more than an hour to do the extension. 

16 hours ago, Ombra said:

I have about a two-hour drive and I am hoping to be at the bank by 9 a.m. and then at Immigration by 10. I did think about leaving later and submitting my application in the afternoon. Perhaps 2 p.m. would be better.

My IO told me to come in the afternoon as they are less busy., miss the morning rush.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ombra said:

but it is not normal to get up and move around 

I often walk around, go to the loo walk around the office looking at the posters, go outside for a cigarette, walk out to buy a drink, do you always go alone? Someone could phone you to come back in when complete.

Ombra, I go to my bank the day before in Bang Saphan Noi to get the letter and statements. This is acceptable to Hua Hin Immigration.

I have got to Hua Hin Immigration before opening time but this means leaving home around 05.30! Last year we left around 08.00 arriving about 10.30 and went practically straight to an Officer for the extension. On the way to the hotel by 11.30. Hardly anyone around due to the circumstances at the moment.  

I understand about noise and hotels. I use one of those online booking services for the hotel. I always read reviews of the hotel, and that has saved me a lot of grief…..like they will say, Next to nightclub and noisy, or lot of traffic noise. These reviews have helped me make the right choices on a number of occasions etc. Good luck.

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you have time see an agent to see if they can make life easier in future, they usually do, VIP service, will cost 12,500 rather than 1,900 but you don't need the financials. I don't use it but i probably will over 70

Good helpful post, but there are far too many people who are members of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade who won't do what you say because they mistakenly think they are breaking some law.

19 hours ago, jackdd said:

Doing two 260km round trips on consecutive days is less stress than doing one with a 3 hour wait?

Why don't you just spend a night in a hotel near the immigration office, then it's super relaxed?

Your assuming that there are hotels close to Immigration and assuming that a 76 year old on a fixed income can afford a hotel and assuming that he does not require any special attention in his home that cannot be catered to at a hotel????

17 hours ago, Ombra said:

That is a good idea. I think that their English is very good, but a letter might be useful just in case. When they look at me, they won't need much persuading that I am in poor health.

Then a doctors letter might put you into a category where the entire trip can be done for you... 

19 hours ago, Ombra said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was thinking of going on a Friday and returning on a Monday rather than travelling on consecutive days. My physical problem is poor blood circulation, so that I need to walk around a lot. I can stop when I am driving and do that, but it is not normal to get up and move around in the immigration office. As for hotels, I have tried that and just slept badly because people go to Hua Hin to have a good time, which generally involves making a fair bit of noise.

Why don't you ask in the immigration what is a convenient time for you to return later in the day whilst they are processing documents?

You could say you wish to walk around or go shopping or something to eat.

There is no hard and fast rule saying you must sit there whilst it is processed once you have submitted your paperwork.

Leave them a phone number if there is anything they need you to come back urgently for.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Ombra said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was thinking of going on a Friday and returning on a Monday rather than travelling on consecutive days. My physical problem is poor blood circulation, so that I need to walk around a lot. I can stop when I am driving and do that, but it is not normal to get up and move around in the immigration office. As for hotels, I have tried that and just slept badly because people go to Hua Hin to have a good time, which generally involves making a fair bit of noise.

Maybe consider getting a letter from your local doctor written in Thai addressed to Immigration to support your needing to return and not wait due to medical condition. This will help you worries maybe?

Go buy yourself some gel ear plugs (not foam ones, cut one blob of the gel in half and insert as needed) they kills about 95% to 98% of any noise even loud thumping bar techno/house music!

I found ambient noise stopped me from sleeping so whenever Xmas parties etc go on interminably as they did and do, I always use these gel plugs. Always sleep fine when I find the need to use them. I NEVER travel without them and always have them in my flight-kit for long flights and always sleep like a baby with next to no engine noise to bother me of if folks move about the cabin. That way you'll be able to sleep without disturbance.

If you have trouble with turning your head off and your sleep is broken or your mind and body are tense then I recommend learning/practicing meditation. I practice nearly every night, first with a swim mediate next to the pool then a gentle swim and off to bed. I especially meditate if I am worried, or agitated in some way. Yoga is very good for your circulatory system too, by the way.

1 hour ago, Uroller said:

Your assuming that there are hotels close to Immigration and assuming that a 76 year old on a fixed income can afford a hotel and assuming that he does not require any special attention in his home that cannot be catered to at a hotel????

Well we can assume because he doesn't mention any of your points in his initial opening post.

5 hours ago, yankyoakum said:

I was quite concerned as I did my first extension in Jomtien without and agent, did I have everything, what's missing??? The photo copy people right outside Immigration office ask why you here, took my passport and made the required copies, think 30 baht.. Got inside and IO was so helpful, very nice and the whole process was quite easy.  They did send me back to BKK Bank (around the corner) with a note in Thai of what they needed. Returned the next day and picked up passport.. 

That is really very good to hear.

9 hours ago, Presnock said:

ChiangMai immigration used to have a sign on the front door that over 70's could move ahead of others waiting by going to the information desk and proving they were old. I have seen the IO's help these people out usually but not always.  Again like other efforts, depends on the IO.

There was a time when Bangkok Immigration would come to your house in the event you were old or infirm.

5 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Maybe consider getting a letter from your local doctor written in Thai addressed to Immigration to support your needing to return and not wait due to medical condition. This will help you worries maybe?

Go buy yourself some gel ear plugs (not foam ones, cut one blob of the gel in half and insert as needed) they kills about 95% to 98% of any noise even loud thumping bar techno/house music!

I found ambient noise stopped me from sleeping so whenever Xmas parties etc go on interminably as they did and do, I always use these gel plugs. Always sleep fine when I find the need to use them. I NEVER travel without them and always have them in my flight-kit for long flights and always sleep like a baby with next to no engine noise to bother me of if folks move about the cabin. That way you'll be able to sleep without disturbance.

If you have trouble with turning your head off and your sleep is broken or your mind and body are tense then I recommend learning/practicing meditation. I practice nearly every night, first with a swim mediate next to the pool then a gentle swim and off to bed. I especially meditate if I am worried, or agitated in some way. Yoga is very good for your circulatory system too, by the way.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't seen gel ear plugs in the pharmacies, just the foam or plastic ones, but I'll look around. As for meditation, I have tried and failed. I am too easily distracted.

On 9/8/2021 at 1:46 PM, Tropposurfer said:

Maybe consider getting a letter from your local doctor written in Thai addressed to Immigration to support your needing to return and not wait due to medical condition. 

Sounds like you've got all your requirements in order, including financials, so you don't need to pay an agent 12000 baht to fudge your financials. Instead, get a doctor's letter stating your physical condition advises against a long trip to Immigration. Shouldn't be a big deal, as the bottom of the TM7 form clearly states "in person" except:

WITH THE EXCEPTIONS OF HANDICAPPED PATIENTS OR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES

Certainly you have a disability. So, put your completed package together and pay someone 1500 baht, or whatever, to travel to Immigration. Make sure the picture on your TM7 looks like you're about to expire. ????

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Sounds like you've got all your requirements in order, including financials, so you don't need to pay an agent 12000 baht to fudge your financials. Instead, get a doctor's letter stating your physical condition advises against a long trip to Immigration. Shouldn't be a big deal, as the bottom of the TM7 form clearly states "in person" except:

Certainly you have a disability. So, put your completed package together and pay someone 1500 baht, or whatever, to travel to Immigration. Make sure the picture on your TM7 looks like you're about to expire. ????

Thank you very much. I should start reading forms carefully as I think that I qualify. That is very good to know. I appreciate the help.

Be aware that, in spite of what is written on the TM7 form, many offices still insist on your presence for an extension unless you are either in hospital or a care home. It may be best to try to contact your immigration office directly, explain the situation, and see how they react to the idea of sending someone in your place.

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Be aware that, in spite of what is written on the TM7 form, many offices still insist on your presence for an extension unless you are either in hospital or a care home. It may be best to try to contact your immigration office directly, explain the situation, and see how they react to the idea of sending someone in your place.

Thanks for the warning. This time, I shall drive and take it easy. I'll go to Immigration in the afternoon and probably stay overnight in a hotel.