Xi's China Bans "Sissy Men" from T.V. as part of concerning new cultural revolution

Jingthing

Many have heard of the various recent extreme policy changes in Xi's China, such as a crackdown on tutoring services impacting countless western English teachers.

So now it's effeminate men in media.

China bans 'sissy men' from TV in new crackdown - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

BEIJING — 

China’s government banned supposedly effeminate men on TV and told broadcasters Thursday to promote “revolutionary culture,” broadening a campaign to tighten control over business and society and enforce official morality.

President Xi Jinping has called for a “national rejuvenation,” with tighter Communist Party control of business, education, culture and religion. Companies and the public are under increasing pressure to align with its vision of a more powerful China and healthier society.

No, I'm not saying that all or most effeminate men are gay or not, but this new policy is clearly extremely homophobic.

China is the inevitable top power in the world. Will this kind of thing spread to other countries under China's influence? (Such as Thailand.)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1

Expanding on this including an interesting theory on the Chinese regime's motivation behind it.

https://theconversation.com/how-sissy-men-became-the-latest-front-in-chinas-campaign-against-big-tech-167328

"How ‘sissy men’ became the latest front in China’s campaign against big tech

The Chinese government has recently taken action against what it calls “sissy men” – males, often celebrities, deemed too effeminate.

On Sept. 2,2021, government regulators banned their appearance on both television and video streaming sites. Using the Chinese derogatory slur “niang pao” – literally, “girlie guns” – Chinese cultural authorities explained that they were rolling out a rule to purge “morally flawed celebrities” in order to “correct aesthetics” in “performing styles” and “wardrobes and makeups.”"

____

I'm a little surprised that people don't seem interesting in this major change in China. But heck you can lead a "girlie gun" to water.

Edited by Jingthing

• 10 months later...
On 9/11/2021 at 7:16 PM, Jingthing said:

Expanding on this including an interesting theory on the Chinese regime's motivation behind it.

https://theconversation.com/how-sissy-men-became-the-latest-front-in-chinas-campaign-against-big-tech-167328

"How ‘sissy men’ became the latest front in China’s campaign against big tech

The Chinese government has recently taken action against what it calls “sissy men” – males, often celebrities, deemed too effeminate.

On Sept. 2,2021, government regulators banned their appearance on both television and video streaming sites. Using the Chinese derogatory slur “niang pao” – literally, “girlie guns” – Chinese cultural authorities explained that they were rolling out a rule to purge “morally flawed celebrities” in order to “correct aesthetics” in “performing styles” and “wardrobes and makeups.”"

____

I'm a little surprised that people don't seem interesting in this major change in China. But heck you can lead a "girlie gun" to water.

I wonder if this is a reaction,in China, to the kissing and affectionate actions which now seems to be standard amongst the young men in Japanese. Korean and other boy bands. It can also be found on many Twitter sites in Thailand.

I have no judgment at all about LGBTQ+ folks, my parents taught me that all human beings and their beliefs (except violence) should be respected. However what I wrote in the paragraph above seems to now be much more prevalent/open (in many countries) and I wonder if the Chinese ban is a reaction to that.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 7:16 PM, Jingthing said:

Chinese cultural authorities explained that they were rolling out a rule to purge “morally flawed celebrities” in order to “correct aesthetics” in “performing styles” and “wardrobes and makeups.”"

Maybe they could also start a campaign against morally flawed world leaders and politicians!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1