Phuket marks four COVID deaths on one day

webfact

1631295339_1-org.jpg

Image: PPHO

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked 238 new local infections confirmed across the island yesterday (Sept 10) bringing the total number of people recognised as infected with COVID-19 in Phuket since Apr 3 to 6,629.

The PPHO report, marked as accurate as of 10:15pm last night, also marked four deaths attributed to COVID-19, Phuket’s worst number of COVID fatalities reported on one day.

The latest deaths bring the total number of deaths in Phuket attributed to COVID-19 in the past seven days, since last Saturday (Sept 4), to 17.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-four-covid-deaths-on-one-day-81359.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-09-11

With Phuket having more than 70% of the population vaccinated, I'm curious if there are any details yet as to how many infected people were previously vaccinated and how many were not vaccinated. And if there were cases of vaccinated people being infected, which vaccines were they previously given.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bobsuruncle said:

With Phuket having more than 70% of the population vaccinated, I'm curious if there are any details yet as to how many infected people were previously vaccinated and how many were not vaccinated. And if there were cases of vaccinated people being infected, which vaccines were they previously given.

70% of registered population? - who knows what % of people living there.....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

PHUKET: The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked 238 new local infections confirmed across the island yesterday (Sept 10) bringing the total number of people recognised as infected with COVID-19 in Phuket since Apr 3 to 6,629.

Time to put a lid on the box and seal it ......................LOL

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

PHUKET: The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked 238 new local infections confirmed across the island yesterday (Sept 10) bringing the total number of people recognised as infected with COVID-19 in Phuket since Apr 3 to 6,629

Considered to be a successes story by some, and to be repeated at other provinces in the very near future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

70% of registered population? - who knows what % of people living there.....

Who knows indeed. But it must be a fairly high number I think. I’m guessing over 50% anyway. The trouble is, there just doesn’t seem to be any analytical work being done on how successful the vaccination level is proving to be. Pure case numbers are really not the issue, symptomatic hospitalizations and deaths are where the focus should be.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

What we all want to know is whether the people who died had been vaccinated or not. And if so, when were they vaccinated and with what vaccine. That way we would know whether the vaccines are providing protection from serious illness or not.

if they have not been vaccinated, or only very recently, the argument for opening due to the high level of vaccinations is maintained. If they have been fully vaccinated, then it undermines the whole vaccine protection argument. If they have been fully vaccinated with sinovac…….well I won’t go there.

the lack of transparency is appalling. Even worse, from everything they say and pretty much everything they do, I’m not sure they even have the information. That is scary.

They have the information 

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Who knows indeed. But it must be a fairly high number I think. I’m guessing over 50% anyway. The trouble is, there just doesn’t seem to be any analytical work being done on how successful the vaccination level is proving to be. Pure case numbers are really not the issue, symptomatic hospitalizations and deaths are where the focus should be.

Certainly it seems most of the vaccinated are Chinese vax which we know are not effective against Delta (and others?). This was as a result of the rush. Also it is always unclear what Thailand means by vaccinated - often it means a single shot and if this is Chinese then this cannot really be counted as a vaccination. The numbers quoted are higher than most red zones and comparable with deep red zones.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

They have the information 

How do you know? Because if they do, it must be bad news. Otherwise they would be trumpeting their success.

I’m sure they have the information in their data banks, but is anyone looking at it and analyzing it, given that they seem absolutely fixated on case numbers.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

How do you know? Because if they do, it must be bad news. Otherwise they would be trumpeting their success.

I’m sure they have the information in their data banks, but is anyone looking at it and analyzing it, given that they seem absolutely fixated on case numbers.

Not a lot is being said about the gypsy village in Rawai,

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Not a lot is being said about the gypsy village in Rawai,

I read that article in the Thaiger and the thread about it on this site.

and yet just this afternoon I went to the Rawai beach road and there is absolutely no sign of any lockdown at all. Kids playing in the roads, not a mask in sight, no sign of any kind of officialdom.

goodness knows what is actually going on given that the results of the tests done on 31st August were never released.

• Confused 1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3719499/

Found n read this (what i can understand of it with my psych training and minute medical training therein).

The section titled:

CONVENTIONAL APPROACHES TO INFLUENZA VACCINES ...

... Might be of some help perhaps in clarifying the use of vaccines and the nature of efficacy in their usage inn regards to what seems to be misconceptions in the lay community as to what they are supposed to do i.e. provide both permanent, or long term immunity and protection from infection. In other words vaccination does not prevent infection. it does however increase the organisms (human) robust defensive response to such influenza viruses.

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

To be fair, the case numbers have very little to do with the sandbox. It’s just delta at work.

To a point, but...

Phuket pushed for the opening of the Sandbox shceme, it had stated a date and wasn't going to let that slide.

Locals either had not been properly vaccinated or had not even received one let alone two.

The governor said they were ready with all precautions in place, as we can see now that was not the case.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

To a point, but...

Phuket pushed for the opening of the Sandbox shceme, it had stated a date and wasn't going to let that slide.

Locals either had not been properly vaccinated or had not even received one let alone two.

The governor said they were ready with all precautions in place, as we can see now that was not the case.

No argument from me on any of those points, that’s for sure. The scheme as it stands and the basis on which it was introduced is and was a complete farce. And the process is being repeated for the whole country in October. Crazy.

• Thanks 2

Hey Bobsuruncle, I do not understand your question.  Getting vaccinated with any vaccine will not

prevent you from being infected by COVID.  All vaccines are to prevent you from dying, if you do get 

infected.     The sandbox of Phuket is one good way of going to Thailand and not just being stuck in some

hotel room for 14 days. At least during that time you can see the beach and ocean if your hotel is

near them.  Plus I understand that you are not confined to your hotel for the entire time.                                                                                                                                      My cousin in Pattaya is like that as his hotel room faces the ocean as well.  Plus he lives nearby, so when his

quarantine is over he just gets picked up by his wife to go to some other restaurant and enjoy his

freedom.  The pandemic will be with us all for a lot longer, but I am glad to hear that people are getting

vaccinated everyday, and soon most of the adult Thai population and teens will have all been given their 2 shots.

Africa, and a few other places in the world wish that they were in this situation.

Geezer

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

What we all want to know is whether the people who died had been vaccinated or not. And if so, when were they vaccinated and with what vaccine. That way we would know whether the vaccines are providing protection from serious illness or not.

if they have not been vaccinated, or only very recently, the argument for opening due to the high level of vaccinations is maintained. If they have been fully vaccinated, then it undermines the whole vaccine protection argument. If they have been fully vaccinated with sinovac…….well I won’t go there.

the lack of transparency is appalling. Even worse, from everything they say and pretty much everything they do, I’m not sure they even have the information. That is scary.

other factors are also relevant e.g. age, pre-existing health issues, obesity,

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

No argument from me on any of those points, that’s for sure. The scheme as it stands and the basis on which it was introduced is and was a complete farce. And the process is being repeated for the whole country in October. Crazy.

Ditto.

8 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Hey Bobsuruncle, I do not understand your question.  Getting vaccinated with any vaccine will not

prevent you from being infected by COVID.  All vaccines are to prevent you from dying, if you do get 

infected. 

I'm no doctor or virologist so I can't state for sure how vaccines work but I do tend to lean towards your statement that they only prevent you from dying, but little protection from being infected. Maybe they lessen the symptoms, I'm not sure?

My previous point was that the Thai government is counting on at least 70% of the population being vaccinated as their requirement to open up all of Thailand to tourists. They feel that this will be effective for controlling the virus. Phuket, in my mind, seems to have been used as the guinea pig to test their theory. So if Phuket was their 70% test, what have they learned? People are still getting infected by the virus (over 200 a day) and people are dying from the virus. Do they have any statistics to share with us on which vaccines were used and did these vaccines live up to their expectations. Did the vaccines lessen the symptoms for those that were infected. Were any of the people who died previously vaccinated and if so which vaccines worked the best and which ones failed?

There seem to be several studies around the world done on the efficacies of vaccines but here right in our own backyard, we have the Phuket sandbox study that could give us answers.