Warning from Pattaya hotel industry boss of a Chinese takeover, loss of income to the economy

webfact

On 9/11/2021 at 2:59 PM, robert888d said:

China will gradually take over Thailand. IT is only a question of time.

Here's a secret. Ethnic Tai actually came from China, they're not the natives of Thailand.

The natives of Thailand are the Mon and Khmer people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

A communist country has the most billionaires in the world.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/299513/billionaires-top-countries/

So much for everyone being equal under communism.  ????

It was said best in "Animal Farm". Something about all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

That book should be required reading in school, with an explanation of the deeper meaning.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

The issue being that they're not thinning them out.  They're buying all they can, along with thousands of condos and villas that will be converted to micro-hotels, rented on the Chinese equivalents of AirBNB.  Bringing their own employees, contributing virtually nothing to Thai GDP, and paying no taxes because, how are Thai authorities going to track and tax rent payments that never make it to Thailand?

All the guys lamenting that foreigners can't own property are likely to see an overdose in "be careful what you wish for".

Just to be clear, I'm not against Chinese tourism.  It brings a ton of money into Thailand as long as Thai laws are followed with regard to ownership percentages, hotel taxes, WP laws, etc.  I'm against permanently selling out the country to get past a devastating but temporary disaster.

Excellent post.

On 10/3/2021 at 12:03 AM, EricTh said:

Here's a secret. Ethnic Tai actually came from China, they're not the natives of Thailand.

The natives of Thailand are the Mon and Khmer people.

The Tai came South as a result of the Mongol invasion - Yuan Dynasty - long ago. You are right about the Mon, though.

On 10/3/2021 at 4:25 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

It was said best in "Animal Farm". Something about all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

That book should be required reading in school, with an explanation of the deeper meaning.

I would not be surprised if in the future, several decades after I am dead, the next world war is between the haves and the have nots, globally.  

Basically, a civil war, across the planet, for equality.  

Edited by Leaver

19 hours ago, Leaver said:

I would not be surprised if in the future, several decades after I am dead, the next world war is between the haves and the have nots, globally.  

Basically, a civil war, across the planet, for equality.  

Just think about who has the private armies and most of the guns!

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and in other western countries there aren't. This isn't an American specific forum.

Sure, but given there are more "have nots" than "haves" the sheer weight of numbers means during riots and attacks on enforcement measures means defence forces would struggle to maintain control.  Eg. Arab Spring.

That said, I suppose western countries could do a "Tiananmen Square" on its citizens.   

It's interesting that since 9/11 the White House has measures to repel an attack by aircraft, but was taken over by protesters.   

Edited by Leaver