Thailand to get 71m more COVID-19 vaccine doses this year; Pfizer for teens

Jonathan Fairfield

17 hours ago, tingtong said:

Numbers, numbers...

Now with about 100 days left this year, just need to find a way for an even 700k a day jabs, so all 71 million vaccines get a good use.

It is super likely the government will deliver on these numbers.

Or not.

Either way, they can always make up a new plan.

As they had twice a week the past months...

As they said: "targeting'...this says it all......????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Almer said:

That can be put down to experience

Yep and also stupidity. It amazes me that people in this forum keep thinking that a vaccine can be purchased privately by a hospital group and would pay a deposit on Moderna. At least they are doing their bit to prop up the private sector. ????????????

6 hours ago, NE1 said:

Somebody posted a chart on here a few days ago , it was the effectiveness of the vaccines used by percent.

I cannot find it , does anybody know the whereabouts of it ?

The only chart like that, that I've seen on here was the one done way back at the beginning of the vaccine roll out, before even the Alpha variant became common, let alone Delta.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the figures are no longer valid.

5 hours ago, cclub75 said:

And once we reach "70 %".... what do you think will happen ? What will Thailand do ?

Is this a "magical number" ?

It's not magical, it's simply a target that the government set a long, long time ago - and is still aiming for.

Whether it reaches that target by year end or not, the government vaccination effort will continue on into next year (and possibly beyond, depending on variants, boosters etc). 

34 minutes ago, Midwit said:

Maybe big pharma with their paid experts don’t want to bring it up. They are making insane amounts of money right now and they don’t want the gravy train to end. 

You're forgetting that AstraZeneca is working on a non-for-profit basis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Not 1 word about the already paid Moderna

I believe it's not directly provided by the government, but privately arranged by some hospitals. You should ask the hospital where you ordered and paid. Yesterday I was in a hospital which was advertising Moderna, I asked out of curiosity the approximate delivery, they said "next year".

5 hours ago, Exilerunner said:

100 % correct - only the numbers of jabs in people matter - so far only some 12 % fully vaccinated - Everything just more wordy words bla bla bla

It's nearer 18% and rising at a steady rate. Last 2 weeks Daily Ave of c. 700k per day is quite impressive but if you want to find negatives I'm sure you can, and by the sounds of it, always will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posts containing content that was copy and pasted from some sites without a link to the sources of information have been removed. 

A post with an link to an unapproved source has been removed.  The following was stated on that unapproved source:

• It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.

13 minutes ago, Carrbhoy said:

It's nearer 18% and rising at a steady rate. Last 2 weeks Daily Ave of c. 700k per day is quite impressive but if you want to find negatives I'm sure you can, and by the sounds of it, always will.

It is rising, steadily, at a daily rate - that has to be a positive aspect, considering the circumstances. 

It will get there. Does take time. 

Your quote of an eighteen percentile is probably more accurate from what I understand. 

Teens ?

Enjoy the vaccine for your children.

Boys more at risk from Pfizer jab side-effect than Covid, suggests study

US researchers say teenagers are more likely to get vaccine-related myocarditis than end up in hospital with Covid

Source : https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/10/boys-more-at-risk-from-pfizer-jab-side-effect-than-covid-suggests-study

10 hours ago, cclub75 said:

And once we reach "70 %".... what do you think will happen ? What will Thailand do ?

For an answer, you might have a look at the Covid situation in Israel, the UK, USA, and many other countries etc.

It seems that Covid does not care... The problem : we oversold this "vaccine promise" to the whole world.

People, especially in Asia, are going to be disappointed.

And probably upset.

Many reliable sources have upped the ante to 85% -90% for herd immunity.

10 hours ago, cclub75 said:

For an answer, you might have a look at the Covid situation in Israel, the UK, USA, and many other countries etc.

It seems that Covid does not care... The problem : we oversold this "vaccine promise" to the whole world.

People, especially in Asia, are going to be disappointed.

And probably upset.

It seems to be the “magic number” countries are using as a benchmark for fully opening and “living with Covid”

Once that’s hit, the theory, I believe, is that it can become manageable in terms of number of hospitalisation/ deaths etc. and then a booster program will be planned in. 

In the UK whilst the daily infection rates are still around the 30,000 mark, the hospitals are coping and life seems back to “normal”. 

I read an article saying Johnson’s back up now is, if things worsen, for mandatory face coverings/ social distancing to be reintroduced worst case. No lockdowns. They are already in the “living with it” stage and I would expect Thailand to be the same by the end of the year once the “magic number” has been met 

I hope that most people who want the vaccine, will have their 2 shots by early next year.

It is September, and it seems that many people each day are getting vaccinated, so by December the

number of double vaccinated people should be nearly 50 percent. The numbers of Delta variant 

are spiking in Canada and the USA. In Alberta masks have to be worn in public places again.

It is only the fools who think that this pandemic is over. It is on going. Stay tuned.

Good luck to all those people who are still waiting to get their jabs, I hope that Pfizer and Moderna

will be available for you soon.

Geezer

10 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

I don't understand why they are talking about vaccinating 12-17 year old already . Let them vaccinate all the adults and voulnarable first fully before they try to start talk about an age group that is not in any danger . I understand that vaccinating that group will help the spread of the virus go down but they cannot even fully vaccinate the voulnarable yet get to those people first before blabbing their mouths again about getting millions and millions of vaccines without them being even here .

Because they live with parents and grandparents that are vulnerable (even if vaccinated).

You don’t need vaccinate in any particular order if you have the capability to vaccinate at the same time. The vulnerable are already given priority and can cut the line at any time.

2 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I hope that most people who want the vaccine, will have their 2 shots by early next year.

It is September, and it seems that many people each day are getting vaccinated, so by December the

number of double vaccinated people should be nearly 50 percent. The numbers of Delta variant 

are spiking in Canada and the USA. In Alberta masks have to be worn in public places again.

It is only the fools who think that this pandemic is over. It is on going. Stay tuned.

Good luck to all those people who are still waiting to get their jabs, I hope that Pfizer and Moderna

will be available for you soon.

Geezer

The spikes in the US are among the unvaccinated. 95% are unvaccinated.

• Like 1

My wife had her second shot yesterday at the stadium in Buriram where there were (allegedly) thousands of people in line.

She had the Sinovac-AstraZeneca series, with the second shot being AZ.  Pretty good actually -- since we didn't think she would get her vaccines this soon.  

Apparently Buriram has some pull.  LOL

IMG-20210910-WA0013.thumb.jpg.62874f8132a02b4e2e0ed854da558368.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, hioctane said:

Because they live with parents and grandparents that are vulnerable (even if vaccinated).

You don’t need vaccinate in any particular order if you have the capability to vaccinate at the same time. The vulnerable are already given priority and can cut the line at any time.

Yes i understand what you mean but when all cars are empty of gasoline you fill the ones empty first not the ones almost empty(maybe a strange comparison but maybe better understandable for you) . They don't have enough vaccines to vaccinate everybody yet so FIRST the voulnarable and then start to talk about kids don't you think . 

22 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

It is rising, steadily, at a daily rate - that has to be a positive aspect, considering the circumstances. 

It will get there. Does take time. 

Your quote of an eighteen percentile is probably more accurate from what I understand. 

I definitely think it is a positive.

Compare c. 700k (1%) Ave per day with other countries. You will find that the peak for US (c. 3 Million per day 1%) & UK (650k 1% of pop.) was achieved for a short period. 

Thailand have been hitting these daily Ave figures for 2 weeks & plan is to increase this to c. 770k (24 million doses in October).

Appreciate they had a slow start however the current rates and plans for next month are impressive and by the end of October, you should be looking at 1st Dose 65% & 2nd Dose 45% depending on appetite / take-up. The next 6-7 weeks are crucial.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 8:26 PM, cclub75 said:

Teens ?

Enjoy the vaccine for your children.

Boys more at risk from Pfizer jab side-effect than Covid, suggests study

US researchers say teenagers are more likely to get vaccine-related myocarditis than end up in hospital with Covid

Source : https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/10/boys-more-at-risk-from-pfizer-jab-side-effect-than-covid-suggests-study

And, as that article points out:

The cases tended to be mild and the vast majority recovered with simple treatment and rest

Again, it's all about relative risk assessment. Give me the choice of a very small risk of a mild, treatable and transitory condition or a very small risk (albeit an even smaller one) of dying and I know which one l'd choose.