Thailand to get 71m more COVID-19 vaccine doses this year; Pfizer for teens

Jonathan Fairfield

6 minutes ago, cclub75 said:

And once we reach "70 %".... what do you think will happen ? What will Thailand do ?

Is this a "magical number" ?

For an answer, you might have a look at the Covid situation in Israel, the UK, USA, and many other countries etc.

It seems that Covid does not care... The problem : we oversold this "vaccine promise" to the whole world.

People, especially in Asia, are going to be disappointed.

And probably upset.

No need to look that far afield. Look at Phuket. Vaccinations and Restrictions a plenty and record cases. The latter not a worry if severe symptomatic cases are low. But of course we don’t know if that is the case or not because it’s not reported!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

This was last weeks announcement for the remainder of the year

That chart was dated August.  There's an updated version which I've seen, but can't find again.  I believe it said that Moderna for December was down to 2 million doses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBird said:

The Pfizer:  Are those donations from other countries, or is Thailand paying?

Moderna:  Is there an updated statement on when this is supposed to arrive?  I've only heard crickets.

1.982 mil October is what the crickets have been saying, the balance first quarter 2022, that said, you can bet 1.1 mil will go to the Thai Red Cross IMO.

13 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Excellent news.
With the extra supply, looks like they will be able to meet the target of vaccinating 70% of the population by end of year (if not sooner). 

Excellent news I agree, sounds like they're finally getting their collective acts together.

With a real PM in place it could have happened a year ago and all the grief of this year might not have happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It all sounds great, but is this another one of those “prioritise the elderly and at risk” type announcements where the announcement itself is logical but implementation and reality are totally different? In this case, are the vaccine supplies real, or just on paper and can they really meet the required daily target consistently.

we shall see.

• Like 1

The bumrungrad moderna registration is for first or second quarter next year, so probably not coming this year after all. 

Other 2 hospitals I registered with confirmed the same revised schedule. 

Luckily I got my pfizer from expatvac. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JayBird said:

The Pfizer:  Are those donations from other countries, or is Thailand paying?

Moderna:  Is there an updated statement on when this is supposed to arrive?  I've only heard crickets.

You could contact Bumrungrad. They recently had an online order/pay for Moderna.

4 minutes ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Why would there be?   Moderna is not going to be part of the Government programme and any such vaccine that comes into Thailand will be purely a commercial transaction and therefore of no concern to the Government.  I maybe wrong but that's is my understanding.

I think you are right... It is non business of the Governement yet and so the people who paid for it have to wait at the private hospitals and because the Government can't fill their pockets with it they just don't give any information of it.

• Like 1