Get thee behind me Covid - Thai nights out in the good old days. Are there more to come?

rooster59

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

and a strange place where you entered via the toilets (more of that later).

And indeed how wonderfully strange - surreal, otherworldly, absurd - "it" was! Its reincarnation was a mere shadow of its former self, a poor, shallow, unexciting, uninspired (and uninspiring) copycat.

first came here in 1981 to get a fake marriage certificate so only briefly exposed to the bangkok and pattaya tourist scenes………thought I’d fallen down the preverbial AIW rabbit hole into an alternate reality….dismissed thailand as “too good to be true,where’s the catch”? so never returned until 2004 with my american resident pal……immediately hooked on Phuket, still knowing nothing, relying on recommendations blindly, etc…….still working overseas but could not live permanently anywhere else since then…….” trapped” in my Phuket Pool Villa for 18 months now with great lady & kid…….loving every minute…….accumulated sufficient protective knowledge & docs. but still having barely “scratched the surface” I feel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I think a significant number of us are completely sick of the plague, the way it has been handled here, the draconian measures put into place, the punishing and highly selective application of restrictions, the economic destruction, the pain inflicted on the poor and lower income Thais, and the extreme level of fear of the Zombie Apocalypse. 

Get thee behind me is right! Get out now. Go away. Please. 

Absolutely 100 % ..

And here in CKers Hua Hin , some the Farangs attitudes , simply unbelievable , seriously in the wrong country .

Why is this guy or that guy here ?.Look at that car ? Blaa Blaa Blaa , where do these people get off ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Anyone remember the illustrious Clinton Plaza? It was torn down many years ago, but used to be a fun, low key assortment of bars, somewhere off of Sukhumvit, if I remember correctly. That was a long time ago. Good column. Thanks.

How about Buckskin Joe Village? 

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think a significant number of us are completely sick of the plague, the way it has been handled here, the draconian measures put into place, the punishing and highly selective application of restrictions, the economic destruction, the pain inflicted on the poor and lower income Thais, and the extreme level of fear of the Zombie Apocalypse. 

Get thee behind me is right! Get out now. Go away. Please. 

Selective is right.

The only area of Udon which is shut down is the soi with the ferang bars on it.

Make of that what you will.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Zzz zzz.... 

Obviously one for the old timers to reminisce over. 

... at least you avoided: "which was a lot of money in those days"..... ????

Awww, did we miss out on Bangkok. Better luck next time....if there is a next time. Try not to be too jealous "luuk ranaat". 

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Anyone remember the illustrious Clinton Plaza? It was torn down many years ago, but used to be a fun, low key assortment of bars, somewhere off of Sukhumvit, if I remember correctly. That was a long time ago. Good column. Thanks.

The Grace Hotel was in competition with the Thermae for a while in the early 80's until it started catering more to the middle eastern market. A glass of iced tea could last an hour there as you window shopped. Didn't want to get drunk too soon, and earning a pittance at a language school meant you had to budget your nights out. ????  I have nowhere near the experience of Rooster though as I pretty much stopped going to those places when I got married at the ancient age of 25. I can't believe that is 33 years ago.    

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

The column is good, my only comment is that if you feel that you are falling apart at 60 wait another ten years and see how you feel !!!

I'm only 58 going on 59 and it has already started. Eat well and exercise, but there are some things I just cannot avoid.