The Joy of Bangkok at night now

Rampant Rabbit

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Leave this poor guy alone. All he said was he prefers Bangkok when it's quiet at night. 

Covid isn't his fault. 

But he was celebrating his own pleasure deriving directly from restrictions and hardships suffered by others. Quite rightly, this doesn't make anyone popular, particularly when coupled with subsequent comments which imply that those less fortunate are too lazy to take the work on offer. Unfortunately there is no situation so dire that someone won't derive gratification from it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

But he was celebrating his own pleasure deriving directly from restrictions and hardships suffered by others. Quite rightly, this doesn't make anyone popular, particularly when coupled with subsequent comments which imply that those less fortunate are too lazy to take the work on offer. Unfortunately there is no situation so dire that someone won't derive gratification from it.

Utter  tripe

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For all those criticizing the OP, it's worth noting that his OP comment wasn't about closing down or restricting businesses. It was about the absence/reduction in "noisy motorbikes and cars."

I've lived in downtown Bangkok for more than a decade now, and it IS much quieter outside at night in recent times, because of the nightly curfew, the shutdown of traffic related to alcohol serving businesses and the general reduction in tourism. Which does make it easier and more pleasant to sleep at night.

HOWEVER, you could still have all those night businesses re-open eventually and still have Bangkok be a much quieter place IF the authorities actually enforced some common sense rules like requiring actual working mufflers on motorcycles and stopped tuk tuk drivers from blasting stereos while driving.

It constantly makes me shake my head in disgust when I'm walking along Sukhumvit Road for this or that and some puny motorcycle comes tooling down the road that's making almost as much engine noise as an Indianapolis 500 race car. There's simply no reason or justification for allowing that.

Bangkok would be a much more pleasant place for everyone if the authorities got serious about reducing needless/blaring noise pollution from vehicles. And they could easily do that without impacting the operation of businesses and night business, and local people's jobs, even the slightest bit.

Its bizarre that in rural isaan all police stations yeard's are full from motorpikes whitch has confiscated coz maked too loud noice! Still in capitol they dont care! I understand people need move but noice pollution is one pollution also! One reason i like to live in countryside. Even dont know what  pollution is better? Exhaust fumes whit noice or smoke from all sht what you can burn lol

16 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

you need to calm down, I didnt call you  a  liar.

My post is discussing Bangkok not  Hua  hin, I actually  live 20km from Hua  Hin when not  in BKK and if they have NO  jobs then why dont they go  look for farm work beacsue I cant find anyone willing to do it for 14k a month inc  accomodation and electric and Im not  alone as many by me are  having the same problems with land work, fields once full of fruit now  left to go back to  jungle unused, what those unemployed  mean is they cant find a job doing as  little  as  possible  for as  much money as they can get when work IS available but they choose  not to do it.

Maybe because not everyone was raised on a farm and can't drive farm quipment or know anything about how to plant rice and other crops, could you?.  Many of the working girls in Pattaya/Bangkok went home to their villages . One massage girl I know sent me a photo of her banged up leg after she fell off her motorbike in the jungle trying to get bamboo shoots to sell along the road in her village.  Your wife's condos may be rented to farang who work for foreing companies or are retired so covid has no affect on their finances. Some Thai in Bangkok were working atmalls /restaurants that only resently temporarily closed for lockdowns but other places in BKK/Phuket/Pattaya relied on tourists and they have been closed for a long time

51 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Maybe because not everyone was raised on a farm and can't drive farm quipment or know anything about how to plant rice and other crops, could you?.  Many of the working girls in Pattaya/Bangkok went home to their villages . One massage girl I know sent me a photo of her banged up leg after she fell off her motorbike in the jungle trying to get bamboo shoots to sell along the road in her village.  Your wife's condos may be rented to farang who work for foreing companies or are retired so covid has no affect on their finances. Some Thai in Bangkok were working atmalls /restaurants that only resently temporarily closed for lockdowns but other places in BKK/Phuket/Pattaya relied on tourists and they have been closed for a long time

How hard is it to water a tree?, cut a leaf when its brown? throw food to fish? Thats the sum total of the job. No "farm equipment"  involved unless you count a backpack sprayer (electric so  no pumping required) It doesnt require much if any brain at all to do, a pulse is about all you need, many fail though, been through 20-30 over the years.

All condos rented mostly to  Thais (except  one Malays) dont get many foreigners as not  many left here anymore, the Malays have a  noodle store.

Many of those massage  girls previously worked in their own villages on the land but then many also sold their inherited  land and frittered  away the proceeds  thinking they would  nevber need to go back there  again, rainy  days  happen.

18 hours ago, Speedhump said:

That's pathetic. The fact that some people have money makes everything alright? Yes, it's all drama, isn't it? Suicides on the increase because they have too much money.... 

CAlm down Luuk Ranaat. When you've been in Thailand a while you'll understand about not reacting too much to drama.

Just now, BostonRob2 said:

CAlm down Luuk Ranaat. When you've been in Thailand a while you'll understand about not reacting too much to drama.

Yes let's not be bothered about 20 pct people more killing themselves here last year, because that would be silly. You probably don't have Thai friends or acquaintances on low paid, disappearing jobs. ????

I'm hoping when things reopen prices will go back to old levels, pre 2008. I like the hectic Bangkok but in recent years it's become too expensive to remain the thrill it was.

Let's hope when they do open, good value is offered above all else, no price gouging and no greed.

On 9/14/2021 at 5:40 AM, Rampant Rabbit said:
On 9/14/2021 at 5:32 AM, ezzra said:

Yes as this 'lovely and quiet Bkk night' are also at the expense of millions miserable poorer people, anymore if this lovely and quiet and we are all doomed...

Bit over dramatic a  9-4  curfew  hardly  limits the earning potential of most  people.

Ever heard of people who worked at night or don't they matter in your eyes?  Think you'll find that their earning potential has been severely curtailed.

23 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Huh some  funny  comments, I dont  normally  live here I live in a very rural  part of  Thailand but Wife owns 8  condos  she rents  out, all  full all  full  despite  covid, I occasionaly  visit  maybe twice a  year. I dont see any job  losses  in rural  areas in fact you cant find anyone to  help working at the land at  all.

There are not job losses in rural areas as their economy is mostly agricultural based.  Pattaya, Phuket and slightly Bangkok rely on tourism dollars. Even 7---11's are closed in Pattaya/Phuket. Many hotels, restaurants, spa's, massage parlors, diving centers, tour centers, taxi's, motor cy taxi, gyms, movie theatres are all closed as there are not any tourists to keep them open.  What don't you understand? If massage parlor  girls have no money from work , and  parlor cannot pay rent then rowner of parlor cannot buy food, goods, the seller of food goods takes big cut drom lack of customers and so on and so on.