The Joy of Bangkok at night now

Rampant Rabbit

Obviously the curfews have their effects on every part of the economy. It is actually the day times least is being earned as everyone is hiding from the sun and at work. Also the markets used to function 24 hours a day etc. And all that nightlife money also goes into normal economy.

Bangkok is bored to death since covid, I can't see it's ability to ever recover too, not at every area. Would at least take 5 years, and with the green activism, flights are gonna be more expensive too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Why bother staying in a big and buzzing metropolis, if you like it quiet at night? Aren't there better places for someone so inclined?

Huh some  funny  comments, I dont  normally  live here I live in a very rural  part of  Thailand but Wife owns 8  condos  she rents  out, all  full all  full  despite  covid, I occasionaly  visit  maybe twice a  year. I dont see any job  losses  in rural  areas in fact you cant find anyone to  help working at the land at  all.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tony125 said:

It's not overdramatic. Many food venders used to sell to night shift workers going home, epople leaving clubs,/bars, late night taxi drivers ect. No retaurants open at night, gas stations, movie theaters , malls ect. Just because you might want to turn in early doesn't mean everyone does.

Fair point.

The bar we tended to go to (pre-covid) was always quiet .........a late night for us being 10pm.

I asked the mamasan how does the place make money?

She said they don't get busy till about 2am and make most of their money from then until about 6am.

All from the nightclubbers.

15 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I'm not a liar, for god's sake.

you need to calm down, I didnt call you  a  liar.

My post is discussing Bangkok not  Hua  hin, I actually  live 20km from Hua  Hin when not  in BKK and if they have NO  jobs then why dont they go  look for farm work beacsue I cant find anyone willing to do it for 14k a month inc  accomodation and electric and Im not  alone as many by me are  having the same problems with land work, fields once full of fruit now  left to go back to  jungle unused, what those unemployed  mean is they cant find a job doing as  little  as  possible  for as  much money as they can get when work IS available but they choose  not to do it.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Your post is insensitive and off target. You actually believe that suicides are on the increase because people are financially comfortable?

Putting words into my  mouth I never mentioned suicides you did, I have not commented on suicides in any way.

• Like 1

A quiet BKK, no loud bikes buzzing from m light to light at 3 am or bar patrons yelling in the streets would be good.   The noise and poor sound proofing in many hotels and condos was an issue for me.   I don't know how I actually got enough sleep.  I guess we adjust.    I just hope tourists are appreciated and respected more when and if this covid nightmare ends. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elkski said:

A quiet BKK, no loud bikes buzzing from m light to light at 3 am or bar patrons yelling in the streets would be good.   The noise and poor sound proofing in many hotels and condos was an issue for me.   I don't know how I actually got enough sleep.  I guess we adjust.    I just hope tourists are appreciated and respected more when and if this covid nightmare ends. 

I would never live at street level, people just don't care how much racket they make.

Even on the 14th floor of our condo the noise comes through, although the aircon does mask it on a night.

3 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Not in the least dramatic. Millions of jobs have been lost and suicides are climbing. Huge numbers of people are struggling to pay their rent let alone buy food. This is purely as a result of government policy, as are the quiet roads. Wake up. ????

Large numbers of people also have a great deal of money to spend. When Bangkok reopens it will be boomtime. 

Less drama more analysis needed.

• Like 2

Obviousy the guy that said we are "drama Queens" obviously knows nothing about Thai nigthlife.

There would be 3 million earning nothing at present, 2 million struggling, many allied services all 

not even making ends meet. Then take a look at the hotel industry with another 3 million with no work or in some cases as little as 10% normal salaries & of course no tips which are an integral part of their liviliehood.

What makes a country strong is also the constant circulation of monies internally & with little overseas currency also coming in & circulating as well (most foreign exchange kiosks are not even open) earning levels for the man or lady on the street are at critical levels.

And do not start me on our business survival along with thousands of businesses who

are not only not paying any salaries, but still landlords demanding rent which threatens the possibility that they will ever open again.

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comments removed

1 hour ago, BostonRob2 said:

Large numbers of people also have a great deal of money to spend. When Bangkok reopens it will be boomtime. 

Less drama more analysis needed.

That's pathetic. The fact that some people have money makes everything alright? Yes, it's all drama, isn't it? Suicides on the increase because they have too much money.... 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Putting words into my  mouth I never mentioned suicides you did, I have not commented on suicides in any way.

Duh. It was me that mentioned the increasing suicide rate in my very first post and you ignored it. You really believe everything is OK and it's only 'lazy Thais don't want to work'. The usual Thai bashing. 

31 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Duh. It was me that mentioned the increasing suicide rate in my very first post and you ignored it. You really believe everything is OK and it's only 'lazy Thais don't want to work'. The usual Thai bashing. 

So  I  take it you wont be  passing on the job offer to your 18yr  old boy then, didnt think so. As for your other comments........

1 minute ago, MrJ2U said:

What are you doing in Bangkok?

My wife and I are were there 7 months ago.  Checked out the new "Icon mall".  It was really empty.  Interesting time to travel while there's barely any tourists.

Have fun!

Well I  guess this is aimed at me, Im here to buy some trees, which I have done which  will be planted at the land and I will take back in the morning about 5 am.........along with my bitterness???? asked the tree  seller  how  business was and he said "really good" seems  people at home are buying more trees.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For all those criticizing the OP, it's worth noting that his OP comment wasn't about closing down or restricting businesses. It was about the absence/reduction in "noisy motorbikes and cars."

Well at least somebody gets  it. Instead im now  assisisting in suicides, well according to some anyway.

16 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Bit over dramatic a  9-4  curfew  hardly  limits the earning potential of most  people.

Yes indeed, new businesses are opening on my soi everyday, and all the existing business need to hire trucks to take the money to the bank.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For all those criticizing the OP, it's worth noting that his OP comment wasn't about closing down or restricting businesses. It was about the absence/reduction in "noisy motorbikes and cars."

I've lived in downtown Bangkok for more than a decade now, and it IS much quieter outside at night in recent times, because of the nightly curfew, the shutdown of traffic related to alcohol serving businesses and the general reduction in tourism. Which does make it easier and more pleasant to sleep at night.

HOWEVER, you could still have all those night businesses re-open eventually and still have Bangkok be a much quieter place IF the authorities actually enforced some common sense rules like requiring actual working mufflers on motorcycles and stopped tuk tuk drivers from blasting stereos while driving.

It constantly makes me shake my head in disgust when I'm walking along Sukhumvit Road for this or that and some puny motorcycle comes tooling down the road that's making almost as much engine noise as an Indianapolis 500 race car. There's simply no reason or justification for allowing that.

Bangkok would be a much more pleasant place for everyone if the authorities got serious about reducing needless/blaring noise pollution from vehicles. And they could easily do that without impacting the operation of businesses and night business, and local people's jobs, even the slightest bit.

My partner and I have a condo on the 37th floor of our building and we still hear the noisy motorcycles--even with the windows closed.  The cars and most trucks are no problem--it's always just the horrendously noisy motorcycles you perfectly described. 

• Like 2