What about us? Furious retirees/expats in Thailand slam proposals to attract wealthy foreigners

webfact

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Indeed.

But I don’t really recommend it to others.

Not sure how much of your tongue is in your cheek there, but if you're serious.......why....and why stay?

Edited by VBF

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

It seems to be the easiest for visa runners/tourists to stay long term in Thailand without any financial requirements. I don't get the logic.

Look at this guy, he has been in Thailand for 9 months now just on a tourist visa. He's only 30 years old and not on WP.

Hardly as strsaightfoward as you present it. He is obviously getting recurring 60 day Covid extensions. 

Perhaps you have forgotten the constant clampdowns by the authorities prior to C19 when they were making it increasingly hard for people to spend extended periods in the Kingdom., even if they were more than solvent. I didn't have an issue with that for those living FT on tourist visas for years but hardly made a lot of sense for solvent expats from the West wintering for 6 months...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

So you apply again, big deal. Gets easier each time. And if they approved you once, odds are you'll be approved again.

Sure, it's an inconvenience, but it's not exactly an insurmountable obstacle, is it?

If the immigration officer is having a bad day, then he can let you chase after papers that you have never needed before, or the 4 photos with your family in front of the house are out of focus. By the way, the request comes to hire an agent for 20,000 baht, who then does everything for you. It's all about the kickback money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

yprus is as exciting as watching grass grow.

Also, the nightlife sucks and the beaches are rubbish.

They do have some old ?Roman ruins though, if that sort of thing is a thrill.

I am 75 next month. Nightlife?

15 minutes ago, MarkyM3 said:

Hardly as strsaightfoward as you present it. He is obviously getting recurring 60 day Covid extensions. 

Perhaps you have forgotten the constant clampdowns by the authorities prior to C19 when they were making it increasingly hard for people to spend extended periods in the Kingdom., even if they were more than solvent. I didn't have an issue with that for those living FT on tourist visas for years but hardly made a lot of sense for solvent expats from the West wintering for 6 months...

Exactly!  I used to be able to get Multiple Non-Immigrant O visas from a certain UK consulate - that was stopped - then the Multi-Entry Tourist Visa became difficult. Most recently, through judicious timing, I've had SETV, followed by an extension, followed by a border hop.

Sure, that covers me for a Winter's "Snowbirding" and I acknowledge "their country, their rules" but it is tiresome!

Goes along with the point I made above about rules that can and do change, being unconducive to a feeling of personal security. Not so bad for someone like me, a tourist, but to live like that?  No thank you!

It's not as if I'm wealthy enough "just shrug it off and move on" if it all goes pear-shaped, therefore for that and other reasons my status will remain quo   ????

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I don't know what all the fuss is about. It seems to me the terms under which most  of us stay here are quite reasonable in regards to cost and convenience.

Well the thread started due to proposed changes which may or may not affect you and alter your current view.

But, if you're happy with your choices than all is well, but the discussion (fuss?) has been about and between those who may not be so content with potential developments that may or may not affect them. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Noah K said:

I don't get involved in the student protests, but I understand why they are protesting. I don't have a say in Thai politics, but my Thai friends sure do have an opinion, and well, it's not very glowing. All I can say is that hopefully our voices will be heard because together we spend millions, if not billions of baht each year

Better not to get involved with protests as it against the law.

Your voices will not be heard, outside expat internet forums.

Just for the record, I'm not furious about any Thai government plan to attract wealthy foreigners. In fact, it doesn't concern me in the least, and it's really none of my business anyway. Also, in my dealings with Thai Immigration officials, they have always been polite and respectful and I have never had any problems with them.

3 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

What's with all these wingers. I've been here for decades and still like it. If I didn't I would move somewhere else. Who cares what the government proposes? If it's attractive enough I might take up the offer -- if not, forget about it.

Good setting. Freedom. But when you have family, children, house and business here, it's not that easy. But we are also planning to move to Europe in the next 1.5 years when the children start studying. Then probably around 6 months in Thailand in winter and 6 months traveling in Europe in summer.

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

These are fake ones. Read my post again. 

I know but for practical purposes, fakes attempt to take the place of the real thing so are effectively the same as stolen / forged ones.

3 minutes ago, PMEL said:

It's funny that they are trying to attract "wealthy" foreigners when they kicked out one of the richest families in Asia, the Shinawatra's.  

Ah, but weren't the Shinawatra family not actually foreign (Thai Chinese) and perhaps they  "knew too much"????

Edited by VBF

Does it occur to anyone that the reason rich people are rich is; they don't waste their money. All the rich people I have ever met are not necessarily tight, but certainly careful with their money. And those who are not, soon cease to be rich!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grusa said:

Does it occur to anyone that the reason rich people are rich is; they don't waste their money. All the rich people I have ever met are not necessarily tight, but certainly careful with their money. And those who are not, soon cease to be rich!

Yup!  And many rich people got rich through being clever....clever enough to spot schemes designed to part them from their wealth!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mikebell said:

They are trotting out this hoary old chestnut more and more frequently now as desperation sets in.  The wealthy will not come to live in a place where there is no rule of law; no police force; dangerous roads AND a pandemic of corruption from the local cop up to the very highest in the land. Droughts and floods alternate regularly and then there are the dogs!

Western foreigners - No.  Wealthy Asians, quite possibly.  Corruption is a 2-way street.

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

Not always, i came to Thailand looking to marry a rich Thai woman and ended with a bar girl.. but in all seriousness, WE Don't count to them, we don't have the big money they're after so now they're looking for more affluent foreigners and us who have been here for decades becomes mind over matter, they don't mind and we don't matter...

Or, I don't mind and it doesn't matter. 

10 hours ago, mikebell said:

They are trotting out this hoary old chestnut more and more frequently now as desperation sets in.  The wealthy will not come to live in a place where there is no rule of law; no police force; dangerous roads AND a pandemic of corruption from the local cop up to the very highest in the land. Droughts and floods alternate regularly and then there are the dogs!

Not to mention the suffocating smog in the North that seemingly gets worse and lasts longer every year. I used to love visiting the North in the winter, it’s so beautiful up there. But they won’t see me there anymore, the last two times I went there (last time was in the winter of 2011/2012) I ended up with a very bad case of bronchitis. So one more reason to shun Thailand.

I wrote a whole screed about what is bad about being an expat here .But i scrubbed it in case we are being monitored. Suffice it to say there are  zillions of places for the rich better than here without all the down sides.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pravda said:

It's the same like when you've been with a certain bank for 20 years and they give $300 to new customers who open a checking account with them and nothing to their old and loyal ones.

So, what about you? Nada. It's just business.

I would expect residence for that kind of money and after five years citizenship.