What about us? Furious retirees/expats in Thailand slam proposals to attract wealthy foreigners

webfact

I am interested in special work permits for high net worth retirees and investors. Do they really need it? What about who work abroad with over a million baht cash inflows a year? What about just selling freelance visa for them and their families who wish to work abroad from the Kingdom?

Edited by Pedanov

33 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Everyone of us who relocated to Thailand knew or should have known that we were giving up the substantial advantages of citizenship in our home countries.  No one can claim that the smooth-talking Thailand Recruiters © mislead us with false assurances that we would always be treated as equal to the Thai citizens.  We are second class here only because we made ourselves second class.  That doesn't bother me, but if it bothers you, then you made a mistake coming here, but not one that can't be corrected.

What are these "substantial advantages of citizenship" though? You can vote. Big deal. As if your vote will decide anything, never did before.

The land ownership? You can set up a Thai company and own land, thousands do so without issues.

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

The reality is that people who have money will always comes first in Thailand, no matter who you are or where you come from. And that includes Thai people.

The reality is that people who have money will always come first PERIOD.   If you think the poor and middle class deserve the same respect as the wealthy then wake up.   No country exists where the wealthy are treated equally with the non wealthy, that is why people wirk hard.   To be above the masses.  

What you read is primarily the Thai politicians making noise for the benefit of the Thai people.   It isn’t grounded in reality.   It doesn’t need to be.   

This is exactly the same as what Trump dished out for four years.  Lies, exaggerations and half-truths.   

oh, but wait.  That can be said for most politicians.  

What is all the complaining about visas and 90-day reporting?  I came here in 1997 and things are bliss now.  So easy.  Nice immigration people, everything a snap.  Annual retirement visa process about 2-3 hours including bank letter.  Ninety day reporting anywhere from 10 minutes to one hour 4 times a year.   Less than one day of your life to complete everything to reside here. 

I am Canadian.   Try and get a visa to live, work or study in Canada.   Good luck.   I am also American, try there.  Good luck. 

Thailand requires people to be low rung middle income earners.   Only 800,000 baht in savings, which better be in the bank if you plan to live anywhere retired.  Or build a family and business.  

Those that do not meet that basic financial requirement can move North, West or East. 

• Like 1

i am pretty sure that those who have wealth loads of money would not consider Thailand as a place to live. but then who knows? it would be nice if the Thai immigration could give a five year or ten year retirement visa to those who have stayed here for a long time and do away with the 90 day report . 5 years for 10.000b ..20000 for 10 year , is ok I'm dreaming . 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

European countries are typically going to be interested in collecting income tax from residents, unlike Thailand.  

You want the infrastructure, health care, clean streets, legal framework, etc, etc you gotta pay for it. 

5 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

What are these "substantial advantages of citizenship" though? You can vote. Big deal. As if your vote will decide anything, never did before.

The land ownership? You can set up a Thai company and own land, thousands do so without issues.

Umm, how about the right to reside in said country?  Seem like a basic right to you?  None of us retirees have that in Thailand.  I am not complaining, mind you, because I always knew the score, but there it is.

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

I haven't been here that long....about 8 years. When Thai immigration started enforcing the law and limiting tourist visas, the whole retired community on this forum was cheering loudly.

The real nastiness was always towards backpackers, English teachers and other younger "tourists" who were perceived like some kind of threat to old folks and their, you got it, Issan bargirls, so please spare me a bit for not feeling sorry for a bunch of dumbdums who sold off everything in their home country that basically gave them a good, privileged life to come to third world Thailand and marry a prostitute.

This.

The tables have turned and now they are the unwanted ones, while rich young digital nomads who would previously been backpackers are being welcomed with open arms.

???? The Times They Are A-Changin ????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Whale said:

You want the infrastructure, health care, clean streets, legal framework, etc, etc you gotta pay for it. 

Tragically taxes aren't enough for it anymore these days. All Western countries have to take massive loans in the capital markets just to pay for health care, pensions etc.

It's not like people in those countries are paying for it, their children, their grand children, and their great grand children are.

6 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Umm, how about the right to reside in said country?  Seem like a basic right to you?  None of us retirees have that in Thailand.  I am not complaining, mind you, because I always knew the score, but there it is.

But you get the right to live in Thailand with whatever long term visa you get. What's the difference to residency really?

You still get to live in the country.

Okay, reporting. Minor annoyance.

Did we not know what we were all coming too back when we came here when we did ?

Now some are crying over getting residency, well the a-nal extension is just fine by me as I still have citizenship back in the old country, money, and can return as quick as I can book a flight, as can the whole family as they all have dual citizenships.

I don't need Thailand, she needs me, and while she does, I will continue to enjoy my time here as I didn't put all of my eggs into the one basket ????

I have been saying it for years as some other bright sparks here have too, always apply the 10% rule, and leave the other 90% back in the home country as your fall back position, has worked for me and some others, government pensions are not for me thanks, I like to stand on my own two feet, but I can understand others put all of their eggs in the one basket and can't go back and other reasons, each to their own.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

So why are they trying to attract a million more foreigners with huge incentives?

Because , while acting like they can do anything , they know they need foeigners to bring the money in. Its a tried and tested method !

5 hours ago, Eibot said:

We already have visa options for retirees and people working in Thailand...

What they want?

After 10 years residence, no negative record = Permanent Resident status and an end to having to report to Immigration Police every 90 days (only needed for change of address).

5 hours ago, smedly said:

many people who have been living here for a prolonged period (10 years +) some more than 20 years have spent a considerable amount of money, importantly it is money that flows into Thailand and not out.

What do they get in return ?............nothing,

What do you want, a prize?   You're not expecting to live here visa-free after a certain number of years, surely?   You get to live here for a certain time period which is what you applied for and what you get with your extension, nothing else was promised (just like your own country).

• Like 2

I wonder how much of this is heard by the many thousands of Thais whose income was helped enormously by us "ordinary Farang", yes, we whose pensions were spent in our local Thai communities.

If not much, then they should hear about it.

Edited by TechnikaIII
Restructured last sentence to clarify meaning.

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If a Thai retiree wants to live in the USA, he must invest 16,000,000 baht, yet USA retirees here moan about just SHOWING 800,000 baht ONCE a year at immigration. 

Foreigners who work here, and give to the country, can get PR or citizenship, in quite a simple process(especially if married to a Thai).

I find it laughable when I hear a retired butcher, Bert from Bolton, who married Buriram Noi from the Pink Pussy bar, complain about not getting a Thai ID card. 

Thailand is a jungle country with military government.USA is a 1st world country so comparing both doesn't make any sense.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Many of us who have retired here spend 1M Baht a year in our little villages in remote parts of the country.  I am putting nieces through university and paying cost running the family farm, for example.  But how many of us are spending that sort of money in 'The Sandbox' or in luxury hotels & restaurants owned by the people who own the government?  There is the rub.  We all need to abandon our families, move south and drink Mai Tais on the beach all day b4 retiring to our 5* hotel for a good night's sleep.

I am not complaining, however.  I have got the visa routine sorted out, have a good family and am comfortable in my (usufruct protected) comfortable home.  Look at what ICE are doing in the US and Patel is doing in the UK and be happy to be here.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I find it laughable when I hear a retired butcher, Bert from Bolton, who married Buriram Noi from the Pink Pussy bar, complain about not getting a Thai ID card. 

Well said.

"...complain about not getting a Thai ID card". 

...or just expecting some kind of special treatment for the Thai government's pleasure of having them here, whinging about everything, every day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, multatuli said:

Thais are not famous for their mathematical skills and the government is no exception. Just let me make a simple picture: there are around 3 million foreigners living in Thailand. Trying to find an average monthly spending between retirees and high income corporate earners, I settle after some counting and reading on 60,000 thb per month or 720,000 thb per year. That means that foreigners living in Thailand inject 2.16 TRILLION baht into the local economy every year.

As a government  I would pamper sych a chickennwith golden eggs...

Apparently, though, it seems fit Thai ladies are all that is needed in lieu of any other benefits. 

Power of ????

• Haha 2