What about us? Furious retirees/expats in Thailand slam proposals to attract wealthy foreigners

webfact

How about start by eliminating unnecessary basic stuff:

- 90-Day Reporting

- Unnecessary Paperwork

- Farang Prices

- Similar basics

Nobody, not only people with money, like unnecessary inconveniences especially TIME-WASTING STUFF.

Solve problems at level 1 before moving to level 2.

The basics are more annoying than high-level complex stuff (which generally can be done by a lawyer with minimal work involved from the wealthy foreigner).

Edited by Genix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

With regard to the comment about masks and them hiding the "Thai Smile"....My husband and I are fully vaccinated healthy Americans who have a trip planned to Thailand this forthcoming January (2022).  We have been closely watching the evolving travel guidelines, and are fully prepared to stay the first 7 nights in an approved hotel/resort in Phuket. After 7 nights and clear covid tests, we'll either focus on scuba diving in an approved zone, or if policy permits, we'll travel to the mainland (Chiang Mai then a few days in Bankok) then home.  The ONLY thing that has me reluctant to proceed with the trip, is the idea of having to wear masks outdoors in the hot weather/at the pool/on the beach.  We completely understand needing masks indoors, but it won't feel like much of a beach vacation wearing a mask.  I want to be super respectful of everyone else and were we not vaccinated I would understand wearing masks all the time.  But one of the reasons we got vaccinated and want to vacation in Phuket is their high vaccination rate (and likely booster shots by then) which should in theory be safe without masks outside.  Can anyone tell me what is actually happening at resorts/beaches/shops/restaurants in Phuket with regard to masks?  Are tourists wearing masks all the time?  

17 hours ago, Pravda said:

It's the same like when you've been with a certain bank for 20 years and they give $300 to new customers who open a checking account with them and nothing to their old and loyal ones.

So, what about you? Nada. It's just business.

Maybe you should be closing that account every year and reopening it 3 months later.   You would be walking away today with cool 6 grand since you no longer like the deal.

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You never asked me a question about horses, did you? You are confused or maybe I am. 

i think the reference to horses is as in the expression "get off your high horse". I can't imagine why.

Edited by mokwit
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, The Cipher said:

If my above paragraph is correct, then I don't see see the new visas as being in competition with the dedicated retirement pathway

You are correct, they are creating new visa classes, but I do see the 10 year retirement visa as possibly being a threat to those on the current arrangement. They might use it as a way to "upgrade" the level of retirees by making it more difficult/impossible to get the old one year extension if you have been here for a number of years as there is now a new visa class specifically for those staying long term rather than taking a year out in retirement to travel across Thailand.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, no deal said:

i live in America for 25 years , i have a green card,i live in thailand i am maried, own a house, have a  son, have two cars, my income about 150.000tb every month,but still on a mariage visa...i think the thai governement should do better for us, i live in thailand for 15 years,i never live thailand my home is there.

Sorry, but IMO your contribution means nothing in the wider context of GDP.

Some expats seem to think that Thailand owes them something just because they spend some money there, but I doubt the governments ( since decades ) are bothered one way or another if expats want to live in LOS. They do make it quite easy to do so, but everyone knows just what they get for the visa, and it doesn't include any benefits for the farang, other than being a temporary ( even if long stay ) visitor.

BTW it was your choice to get married, buy a house for your wife, have a child, and buy cars. Before you did so the Thai government didn't offer you any incentives to do so.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Genix said:

How about start by eliminating unnecessary basic stuff:

- 90-Day Reporting

- Unnecessary Paperwork

- Farang Prices

- Similar basics

Nobody, not only people with money, like unnecessary inconveniences especially TIME-WASTING STUFF.

Solve problems at level 1 before moving to level 2.

The basics are more annoying than high-level complex stuff (which generally can be done by a lawyer with minimal work involved from the wealthy foreigner).

Have you considered that they may WANT to make it difficult for farangs to live in LOS? That's certainly my opinion.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

For most its a waste of a morning but for some its a two hour drive each way to the nearest immigration office.

For most it is actually 1 minute at a laptop and no effort whatsoever......

Although I would like to be rid of it as it serves little benefit.

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

You are correct, they are creating new visa classes, but I do see the 10 year retirement visa as possibly being a threat to those on the current arrangement. They might use it as a way to "upgrade" the level of retirees by making it more difficult/impossible to get the old one year extension if you have been here for a number of years as there is now a new visa class specifically for those staying long term rather than taking a year out in retirement to travel across Thailand.

Appears that the visa/immigration policy is tightening it's squeeze slowly in one form or another. 

The squeeze is really applying to foreign residents and long termers, less the infrequent and casual traveler. 

I have several condos in Thailand and left for a trip outside Thailand in March2020 before borders closed. Have not been able to return, my visa has expired, driver’s licence expired and am paying tax.. Have been told by Thai embassy can only renew all in person in Thailand and now will have to start the process again. What about those former permanent residents??

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Appears that the visa/immigration policy is tightening it's squeeze slowly in one form or another. 

The squeeze is really applying to foreign residents and long termers, less the infrequent and casual traveler. 

Are you kidding they have been putting the screws to ALL visa classes for the last 10 years....

It all started with the 30 day border runners and went from there.....

Lets not forget the recent interrogation of travelers at airports, grilling them about why they come to Thailand too much... 

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

Don't get excited, it will not materialize as nobody in his right mind with serious financial means would come to Thailand where laws are bent and (legally speaking) nothing of relevance like land or any kind of juristic business can be owned by a non-Thai. 

Let them shoot themselves in their feet - again! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crok said:

I have several condos in Thailand and left for a trip outside Thailand in March2020 before borders closed. Have not been able to return, my visa has expired, driver’s licence expired and am paying tax.. Have been told by Thai embassy can only renew all in person in Thailand and now will have to start the process again. What about those former permanent residents??

I sympathise with your predicament, but as a wise man once told me "life is unfair". I know that doesn't help you at all, but sometimes we just have to accept that <deleted> happens and try to make the best of it.

At least you will be able to return in the future, while I will never be able to do so, so you are more fortunate than I.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Are you kidding they have been putting the screws to ALL visa classes for the last 10 years....

It all started with the 30 day border runners and went from there.....

Lets not forget the recent interrogation of travelers at airports, grilling them about why they come to Thailand too much... 

Started long before, when they stopped giving NZers 90 days visa exempt at the border, renewable indefinitely with a border hop on the southern border.

I miss those days.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crok said:

Visas cannot be renewed in Thailand..... that is extensions. You likely need to start again with a new visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Crok said:

I had to redo my retirement visa a couple of times when I was living in Thailand because I was traveling and let it expire. Back then it is a major hassle but doable. Now?  Not sure how difficult it will be. All I owned was a car.  Sounds like you are all in. Good luck.

Edited by garyk
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

Exactly, and in Thailand you only get charged income tax if you brought the money in and it was earned in the same year.

Much better tax rules for expats in Thailand.

Aussie Questioner: I have a Thai Taxpayer ID number from the Revenue Dept.. My understanding is that, If i were to retire to Thailand and live on investment income and/or a pension, then I would be liable (if not expected) to declare both as income and potentially incur a tax liability.  .What say you, chaps ?

Just now, GazR said:

Aussie Questioner: I have a Thai Taxpayer ID number from the Revenue Dept.. My understanding is that, If i were to retire to Thailand and live on investment income and/or a pension, then I would be liable (if not expected) to declare both as income and potentially incur a tax liability.  .What say you, chaps ?

That is correct. It is supposed to be on money earned and brought into Thailand. I was told that I had to declare my State pension received in the UK and it could be taxed in Thailand above the tax free allowance. (150,000 baht p.a.)

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Started long before, when they stopped giving NZers 90 days visa exempt at the border, renewable indefinitely with a border hop on the southern border.

I miss those days.

Not a NZer but my understanding was that it happened because there wa sa reciprocal arrangement and Thai ladies of a certain profession were abusing it so NZ cancelled it and Thailand reacted in kind. Koreans used to be able to indefinitely border hop but that got stopped - I think could still do if fly back to Korea but not local border hop. Brazil also I think had but stopped.

They don't want us here long term, but will make an exception for foreigners rich enough to be the kind they would like to hobnob with.

As for those who keep on about "learning the language and integrating" to be welcomed, That is the LAST thing the Thai elite want you to do. They would prefer you in falang ghettos.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, mikebell said:

They are trotting out this hoary old chestnut more and more frequently now as desperation sets in.  The wealthy will not come to live in a place where there is no rule of law; no police force; dangerous roads AND a pandemic of corruption from the local cop up to the very highest in the land. Droughts and floods alternate regularly and then there are the dogs!

You mean walking street and the like... or Soi dogs, hard to tell the difference sometimes.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Better not to get involved with protests as it against the law.

Your voices will not be heard, outside expat internet forums.

which is why I wrote I don't get involved. and it is a shame that we won't be heard outside of this internet forum, but there is no harm in politely stating your opinion here. Also, I once wrote that if you do it right, your 90 day check in, and once a year renewal takes up about six full days of your time. You're retired, and you have 359 days left to have fun, so enjoy your time in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, GazR said:

I think you will find there is a tax treaty between Australia and Thailand, so you only ever pay tax in one country. There is no tax transferring savings to thailand, any money transferred to thailand is savings, unless you say otherwise.

• Like 1