What about us? Furious retirees/expats in Thailand slam proposals to attract wealthy foreigners

webfact

8 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

You can pay up to 6 years in arrears.

It's approximately £750 to make up one year in arrear.

In view he's on 40k baht a month (£890), he would be spending half his annual salary.

Can non resident UK expats do that?

That assumes he's still working.

Do English teachers in Thai schools get enrolled in a teacher's pension scheme?

Many come to Thailand as backpackers in their early 20s, i wouldn't want to be living like one in my 50s.

Yes i have just finished doing it, 35 years this year.

6 years back contributions and 10 years class 2 or 3 I forget now.

Ps have a quick look at your math !!!!!!!!! LOL.

Edited by Orinoco

8 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Yes i have just finished doing it, 35 years this year.

6 years back contributions and 10 years class 2 or 3 I forget now.

Ps have a quick look at your math !!!!!!!!! LOL.

https://www.which.co.uk/money/pensions-and-retirement/state-pension/can-i-top-up-my-state-pension-an0q09p37nsj

A frozen state pension in Thailand, will be pretty worthless after ten years of even moderate inflation.

In my opinion, better to live in both and get your state pension indexed.

5 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Rumbold said:

There's no difficulty, the definition could not be clearer, more understood or deliberate. 

Thailand defines our status, not the other way round.

We do not become immigrants in a country because we wish it to be so. 

If you wish to emigrate to Thailand you have to plan to get permanent residency, which for a man of suitable age, means working for three years and paying tax (among other requirements). The visa system is such that until we get permanent residency we remain transient.

Our visa status is what we are, to wit, 'temporary visitors for purposes other than tourism' is the definition of the non-immigrant visa type encapsulating retirement, marriage and other reasons for visiting here. 

"Immigrants on a non-immigrant visa"

I was commenting on your sentence, which I've again quoted.

I was not looking for a haughty lecture on how to suck eggs.

My knowledge of such matters is considerable, if I was looking to get PR (your assumption) I know how to go about it. Because I comment on certain matters, and share my accumulated knowledge does not mean I'm seeking to go in that direction. 

To repeat something similar to what I've already said is disingenuous.

15 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

https://www.which.co.uk/money/pensions-and-retirement/state-pension/can-i-top-up-my-state-pension-an0q09p37nsj

A frozen state pension in Thailand, will be pretty worthless after ten years of even moderate inflation.

Not true, pension will always pay some bills.

But even better,  have uk  properties  rented out and a shed load of cash in banks and other stuff,  then retire early at 52 .

sorry bit smug now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

PS sorry, forgot condo in pattaya and house in Isan for the misses and me. ( under construction now ) and  both assets for the wife and daughter when i'm gone . but sure uk for me in about 5-7 years. Thailand will just be a holiday place.

also forgot small company pension as well !!!!!!!!! to boot.

Sorry bit more smug now , LOL.

Edited by Orinoco

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

immigrant- a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.

So right and wrong.  

But certainly, we are not immigrants in the legal sense. Most of us have an extension of stay based on a non-immigrant visa which has elapsed.  Accordingly we have no citizen rights that count. 

as do mot immigrants around the world.

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No!

You're way off the reality.

Most retired expats would be thrilled to have actual immigrant status.

Then we could buy land, work without a permit, not have to do 90 day address reports, not have to apply for conditional annual permissions to stay, etc. etc.

But we're not. Simple fact.

Not only aren't we immigrants, as retired expats we have no path to being immigrants. 

Facing the reality of your actual in this case LOWER legal status in a country is not racist in any way.

apart from one thing = you are immigrants.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

As the original visa name it clearly .....non-immigrant visa    how much more could it be expressed !

wishful reading ain't go change the words on it .....

We are extended tourist nothing else , accept it 

Err, you appear to be shooting the wrong person.

Another defintion- friendly fire-

1. weapon fire coming from one's own side, especially fire that causes accidental injury or death to one's own forces.

2 hours ago, BE88 said:

I don't understand what you mean, your English translation probably doesn't work. As Thailand is a dream that you Thais think, you have is becoming only a swamp of pollution, tourists have moved to other less polluted shores.

Massive Thai tourism is over and the covid will set the final stone.

LMAO - I guess I've been here too long if you think I'm Thai. Not that I consider it an insult.

Try not putting labels on people and then attaching generic attributes based on their assumed race.

It works a treat.

Edited by pedro01
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Hold on this don't make sense.

The UK pension increase per year, would never cover return flight,costs, 

council tax, utility standing charges, empty property insurance costs. and so on.

so what you on about ?

Or am I,   4 large Changs to early today , 

Edited by Orinoco

17 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Err, you appear to be shooting the wrong person.

Another defintion- friendly fire-

1. weapon fire coming from one's own side, especially fire that causes accidental injury or death to one's own forces.

just clarifying the word NON  O , so please classify it under " friendly fire" no collateral damage meant ????

1 hour ago, Cherrytreeview said:

There's more to life than money. If I were a breadhead, I would have remained a  Condition Monitoring Engineer in Aberdeen, getting 30 pounds an hour in 1990. A few of my old friends are still doing that kind of thing, saying they are going to retire soon to Thailand, but they never will, they are brainwashed and scared.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Actually, I retired from the Thai education system 2 years ago, I'm 55. I was a teacher, less of the insults. ????  You have no idea what my financial status is, pure speculation from someone who probably wasted the best years of his life working in the UK in a job he hated and jealous of those with more sense of adventure, coming here in their 20s. 

I do some part-time translation work now and trading. 

I will get a full UK pension as I worked for 4 years in the UK and pay yearly Class 2 contributions. I paid 10 years back at once a few years back, it was 66,000 baht. I pay about 150 quid a year now. 

I am going to spend only about 6 months a year in Thailand, the rest travelling and a few months a year in Scotland.  

You may wish to cheek that you can still qualify to pay the very cheep

150 rate,  as you have left your employment, are you classed as self employed now or retired ?

Best cheek up, don't assume anything.with uk DPWP or what ever it is now in the uk.

Edited by Orinoco

1 minute ago, Orinoco said:

You may wish to cheek that you can still qualify to pay the very cheep

150 rate,  as you have left your employment, are you classes as self employed now 

best cheek up, don't assume anything.with uk DPWP or what ever it is now.

I don't think it would be prudent to tell them. If I can't for any reason, I don't really care as I've already paid 30 years and this is not going to be my main source of income. I have invested in other things to look after myself and family it later life. 

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I don't think it would be prudent to tell them. If I can't for any reason, I don't really care as I've already paid 30 years and this is not going to be my main source of income. I have invested in other things to look after myself and family it later life. 

ok

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Actually, I retired from the Thai education system 2 years ago, I'm 55. I was a teacher, less of the insults. ????  You have no idea what my financial status is, pure speculation from someone who probably wasted the best years of his life working in the UK in a job he hated and jealous of those with more sense of adventure, coming here in their 20s. 

I do some part-time translation work now and trading. 

I will get a full UK pension as I worked for 4 years in the UK and pay yearly Class 2 contributions. I paid 10 years back at once a few years back, it was 66,000 baht. I pay about 150 quid a year now. 

I am going to spend only about 6 months a year in Thailand, the rest travelling and a few months a year in Scotland.  

I think i have an idea how you can defy the laws of economics.

A huge big silver spoon. 

A working life in Thailand and a frozen UK state pension don't make for an affluent retirement.

Returning to Scotland to keep in with your paternal sponsors does.

In another post you talked about 'peasant girls'.

At least those 'peasants' are self made and not scrounging off others.

I know who i have more respect for.

1 hour ago, Sir Anthony Rumbold said:

Our visa status is what we are, to wit, 'temporary visitors for purposes other than tourism' is the definition of the non-immigrant visa type encapsulating retirement, marriage and other reasons for visiting here. 

What about those on a Non O but in the PR process?

I am an immigrant but even when I hadn't become a Thai citizen, I called myself an immigrant. Not a lot has changed since I went through that process, apart from my pink ID changed to blue. 

1 minute ago, Cherrytreeview said:

I think i have an idea how you can defy the laws of economics.

A huge big silver spoon. 

A working life in Thailand and a frozen UK state pension don't make for an affluent retirement.

Returning to Scotland to keep in with your paternal sponsors does.

In another post you talked about 'peasant girls'.

At least those 'peasants' are self made and not scrounging off others.

I know who i have more respect for.

Mr. Assumption here, I don't think you'll last very long on this forum. 

I come from a working class background and when my father died a few years ago, and the only thing I got in inheritance was a watch. I now send my mother money 4 times a year.  

Congratulations on being the newest member(3 hours) I have put on ignore :cheesy: 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The thing is that there is no permanency to you living here.  You might be lucky enough to die here, but on any given renewal of your temporary non-immigrant visa -- Thailand could refuse you an extension... you have no legal right to stay here longer than the length of the visa.   If you want the legal right to permanently live here... you have to apply and be approved for 'permanent reisdent' status.

Which can't be done via retirement extensions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Anthony Rumbold said:

There's no difficulty, the definition could not be clearer, more understood or deliberate. 

If you wish to emigrate to Thailand you have to plan to get permanent residency, which for a man of suitable age, means working for three years and paying tax (among other requirements). The visa system is such that until we get permanent residency we remain transient.

Until you are granted permanent residency status you are temporary.   Depending on the immigration system and the immigration interpretation of what you can do on a visa, but none of those interpretations do not change the classification of the visa you have or what you are under the law.   For example, I worked in the US for a few years (before becoming VP of the UK office), I was working on a TN1 (NAFTA - temporary visa).  If I wanted to get a green card to the US, I would have to start the process and only one visa (also temporary) allowed for transition... but it did not mean it was permanent.  I would have had to change my visa from TN1 to H1B which allows for dual purpose (I told the company I would stay on a TN1).  Dual purpose meant I could have intentions to apply and start the process to become an immigrant, while staying on a temporary visa... but I would still be a temporary employee (any other visa if you did that - you basically told the immigration office you were staying on a visa that was intended only for temporary and your intentions were permanent -- and they would deport you.  In fact the company had many ex-students working on H1B at the company while in the process of getting permanent residency....  Shortly after the dot-com bust happened and the company downsized to less than half it's employees.... anyone that had an H1B but became unemployment had 10 days to leave the country since H1B is a work visa... and the process of applying for permanent residency was voided.  Those that had permanent residency had the legal right to stay since they were recognized by the immigration system as immigrants.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Until you are granted permanent residency status you are temporary.   Depending on the immigration system and the immigration interpretation of what you can do on a visa, but none of those interpretations do not change the classification of the visa you have or what you are under the law.   For example, I worked in the US for a few years (before becoming VP of the UK office), I was working on a TN1 (NAFTA - temporary visa).  If I wanted to get a green card to the US, I would have to start the process and only one visa (also temporary) allowed for transition... but it did not mean it was permanent.  I would have had to change my visa from TN1 to H1B which allows for dual purpose (I told the company I would stay on a TN1).  Dual purpose meant I could have intentions to apply and start the process to become an immigrant, while staying on a temporary visa... but I would still be a temporary employee.  In fact the company had many ex-students working on H1B at the company while in the process of getting permanent residency....  Shortly after the dot-com bust happened and the company downsized to less than half it's employees.... anyone that had an H1B but became unemployment had 10 days to leave the country since H1B is a work visa... and the process of applying for permanent residency was voided.  Those that had permanent residency had the legal right to stay since they were recognized by the immigration system as immigrants.

The US has one of the craziest, outdated immigration systems in the world. Not much is going to change however with they woke society, unless Trump runs again.

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

The US has one of the craziest, outdated immigration systems in the world. Not much is going to change however with they woke society, unless Trump runs again.

Until the US selects a president that understands that they may be voted in as a republican or democratic president, they are president of all Americans not just one a subset of supporters from one party (core belief of that person)... Donald Trump was not that man.  Reagan I believe understood, and I believe Bill Clinton understood (even If I did not really like him).   This century, the US has had a set of presidents that even in the best of times -- has been driving the US faster and faster to bankruptcy.  Now even the fabric of the US is so destroyed, that you have the people divided believing in completely different realities (rather than the same reality but different viewpoints on policies)... The US empire is quickly coming to an end.  I doubt the US will even survive as a single country to reach the average lifespan of an empire (around 500 years). 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If you are on overstay, you are classed as an illegal immigrant, not an illegal non-immigrant. 

If you overstay, you are classed as an illegal ALIEN.  They also assume you are illegally trying to stay here permanently.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sir Anthony Rumbold said:

Thailand may define your status, but it doesnt get to define words in the English language. Oxford languages definitely disagrees with with the Thai government:

"a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country"

https://www.google.com/search?q=immigrant&oq=immigrant&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59j69i65l3.1890j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And, for once, Cambridge agrees!

"a person who has come to a different country in order to live there permanently"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/immigrant

In other words, it's about intent.