What about us? Furious retirees/expats in Thailand slam proposals to attract wealthy foreigners

webfact

On 9/14/2021 at 9:16 PM, Neeranam said:

Same rung as whom?

What BS, do you really think a retired 70-year old taxi driver that comes here and marries a peasant girl half his age should get citizenship? 

Can't you see that Thailand has a unique situation here with the sexpats and has to have rules like no land to protect the country. 

Maybe should get together in our Chang singlets and protest.

I and most Thai folks I know would probably rather see the aforementioned 70 year old pensioner, especially if he's the jai dee sort, become a Thai citizen in due course, than see a pompous, uppity, ageist twit who couldn't hack it back where he came from singing the Thai national anthem.

That's how it works in most Western countries; marry a citizen and become a citizen yourself after a prescribed time period.

By the way, why such an axe to grind with older fellas who still have a sex drive?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, garyk said:

Put it on the ones already here. That would thin it out considerably..  

The Thai's I know here are dead beats.  

No insurance, No health care unless privately funded, Cannot buy property, Cannot work. Have to keep a balance in a US bank. How many people would come? Have to bring in money from outside of the US and deposit monthly..

Please...

allot would come to the USA on the 30 day exemption!! No money needed, then they will overstay and never be seen again.. so who will get weeded out??   

It's so easy to go to Thailand, decide today i want to go, book a flight and go. So your "tit for tat" you really want the USA to be the same??  or it's more you just want thing fixed to suit your wants?

54 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Nothing remotely racist about what I've posted. Not sure what kind of game you think you're playing now but it is not cool.

People on retirement extensions started with an O or OA NON IMMIGRANT visa. That includes people of any race or nationality.

Later, if they wish to continue living in Thailand, they apply for annual retirement extensions.

People with this status are simply not immigrants.

Immigrants are not on conditional one year leashes. 

Yes, they indeed can continue to live in Thailand as long as they are able to get annual extensions, but their status is never immigrant and it can't ever be immigrant based on such extensions. 

Correct, it is nothing more than an equivalent to a tourist visa for one year based on the lack of need to work since they are retired.   Immigrant is someone with Permanent Resident status.  No matter how long you are on  temporary visa (Non-Immigrant, Tourist, temporary work permit), you gain no more status than someone entering on the equivalent visa today... you have to prove that you CURRENTLY meet the requirements to get another visa of the same type.  If you no longer meet those requirements - you have to find another requirement you meet or you have to go back home (i.e. temporary).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Apart from he fat they are by any other definition immigrants "a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country."

- what do you think they are?

Doesn't matter what you think, as far as Thailand is concerned, the expats are not permanent residents. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

Lol, we're a long way from 'rock bottom', give it a couple more years.

Your point taken, it could be worse/far worse than it is right now, but it is quite bad right now and it's clear the gov't are lost and have no idea how to handle this situation and no idea how to handle the awful effects on the Thai populous. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pedro01 said:

eventually a wife 30 years younger with a tiny waist and big jugs that loves them unconditionally.

You really believe this?

I'm sure that there's financial conditions attached and she's getting pumped by younger guys when the old guy can't perform.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I already answered your question. Many retired expats harbor the DELUSION that they are immigrants and act accordingly, but they are not actually immigrants, the Thai government does not regard them as immigrants in any way, even if they've been here 30 years.

ACTUAL bona fide immigrants in any country have a path towards CITIZENSHIP or at the very least, permanent residence. There are a number of countries where retired expats can go for that. Thailand is NOT one of them (and never will be). 

Unless you are working in Thailand for three years, then those pathways are provided and are relatively straightforward.

8 hours ago, jing jing said:

I and most Thai folks I know would probably rather see the aforementioned 70 year old pensioner, especially if he's the jai dee sort, become a Thai citizen in due course, than see a pompous, uppity, ageist twit who couldn't hack it back where he came from singing the Thai national anthem.

That's how it works in most Western countries; marry a citizen and become a citizen yourself after a prescribed time period.

By the way, why such an axe to grind with older fellas who still have a sex drive?

Wow, I thought flaming was against forum rules. I will just ignore these insults. 

Thailand is not a Western country and therefore needs special rules. Take a look in your city, Pataya, where there are many 70-year olds that marry sexworkers half their age. Do you really think they should be allowed to gain citizenship? Your country doesn't have this issue, and try their best to prevent 70-year olds from moving there, making them invest MUCH more than Yanks that  want to retire here. Thailand should reciprocate. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I believe that Thailand's recently announced measures to attract long-term stay of high-potential foreigners is doomed to fail, mainly because it requires too much financial commitment with too little return for the investor. I would suggest those most likely to take up that visa would be just looking for safe havens for varying reasons.

Also most retirees generally look for a cheap, safe place in the sun to live out their days. The richer retirees will be living in luxury in a more comfortable environment. (Their super yacht?)

Many don't realize it but Thailand has made the citizenship process much easier than pre 2008. If married to a Thai, and working for 40k a month, the process is only 3 years and costs 5,000 baht. 

9 hours ago, Thunglom said:

You don't know what an immigrant is - you haven't answered the question you are just voicing racist opinions - how sad

Someone got outta bed the wrong side I think. Not only racist but baiting, insulting posts.  Best to ignore the trolls. 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Many don't realize it but Thailand has made the citizenship process much easier than pre 2008. If married to a Thai, and working for 40k a month, the process is only 3 years and costs 5,000 baht. 

Do you know what retirement is ?

The thought of working again and for a Thai employer.

#x#x that, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Ps, Who whats a down grade, anyway.  No thank you.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Do you know what retirement is ?

The thought of working again and for a Thai employer.

#x#x that, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Ps, Who whats a down grade No thank you.

I wasn't talking about retirees. It is hard for retirees in any country to get citizenship, and I think fairly so.  

You could start your own business. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

forgot the most difficult bit, “speaking fluent thai “ right ? **** that as well !

not sure you need to be !00% fluent in Thai, 

but sure a good understand of it.

it's all done on a points system.

but think you need to sing the national anthem whilst 

hopping up and down on one leg, so i was told. !!!!!!!! LOL.

Edited by Orinoco