Swimming in the sea in Thailand

superal

I just jump in to cool off.

Swim in the pool.

The jelly fish problem reminds me of that feeling after watching Jaws years ago.

I'm worried one might wash into my face as I glide through a wave.

There are sectioned areas.  

Respect the warning flags.

Use common sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrJ2U said:

I just jump in to cool off.

Swim in the pool.

The jelly fish problem reminds me of that feeling after watching Jaws years ago.

I'm worried one might wash into my face as I glide through a wave.

There are sectioned areas.  

Respect the warning flags.

Use common sense.

Yes people seem to worry a lot about jelly fish while its really rare for them to kill people. It does happen but compared to the amount of people in the water its rare. So many things are many times more dangerous like the trip to the beach and crossing the road ect. I have been stung by small jelly fish but usually if i wear a rash guard its not bad at all. 

Not a fan.

Was about 50m out once and got stung from the right temple down to the pinky on my right foot.

First thought was (obviously) get back to shore.

I think there was only my belly button touching the water.

Blistered like boiling water had been trickled onto me from head to toe, but it disappeared after about an hour.

Without mentioning the used needles everywhere on the beach. My girlfriend didn't understand why I always wear special water sandal when I go to beach, until we saw 3 used needle in the same day.

That's why I prefer to pay a day-pass in a private resort. At least, they do an effort the clean the beach in front of the resort.

49 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Found the best beach sea water off of islands,  remember Phuket beaches nice over 20 years ago,  wouldn't swim in them anymore.

From memory best sea water beach ever for me was Koh Samet, don't know what it's like these days. 

Personally i havent been to Samet since the massive oil spill a couple of years ago . 

oil.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Kid & Lady BANNED from Open Water (sea, river, lake) & Boats everywhere.

Life seems very nice with you. Don't be surprised your kid will do all of it just because you said no lol.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 2

I've never heard of anyone swimming in the sea only if there are life guards. Seems a bit odd. Since I can swim it's not a concern. Yes, it's good to be careful but one can take it too far. Land is far more dangerous in LOS.

Beaches in Ko Samui are very nice and okay to swim. I also prefer the pool though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

Hmmm not sure why you mention the box jellyfish and then post a picture of something that is certainly no box jellyfish ? Lack of knowledge ? lazyness or wanting to make things more dramatic ?

Plus your data is a bit old and it does show that it happens rarely. Not sure why people keep mentioning such rare events. As for calling it toxic water instead of polluted water (toxic is far worse and does happen much in the sea as its diluted too far to be toxic)

You got a big bias and are a bit of drama queen but then again given your other posts im not surprised. Your as honest in your judgements of Thailand as the TAT but then in the opposite direction.

*edit* mistake on my side toxic just means polluted by man made chemicals ect. Thought it just sounded to dramatic so i googled it.

Well then, I double down on the toxic water thing. A drama queen, huh? I do not think I have ever been called that before. Let me digest that. Sounds like a fun designation. LOL. 

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yea you were right about the toxic water, must means there is some human made pollution in water. Nothing more nothing less. Just sounds worse then polluted water. But yea as a non native speaker and the fact that you got UK and US English these things happen.

As for the drama queen designation you earned it not just with this posts but many of your posts are to the extreme. Bit like TAT does but then in the negative so I double down on that one. 

You are a funny guy, and your posts are articulate and well thought out. Keep it up! As far as the drama goes, I admit to being somewhat extreme in my criticism of this regime. However, they deserve it! 

• Like 1

Just now, spidermike007 said:

You are a funny guy, and your posts are articulate and well thought out. Keep it up! As far as the drama goes, I admit to being somewhat extreme in my criticism of this regime. However, they deserve it! 

Sure the current MOB deserves all they get but if you go into extremes too much you lose credibility at some time. Just like the boy that cried wolf. Best to not go that way too often. Like you i think the current MOB deserves the criticism, just don't think that the alternative is that much better. Given the fact that many of the faces are the same (people that switched sides), crooks on all sides. I just think almost all (except future forward) deserve a lot of criticism. 

Just don't think Thailand and Thai people always deserve the negative posts like this one. Sure water in Pattaya is not clean but many other beaches are. I think unclean water is a problem all over the worlds. But even water that looks clean can be polluted. 

The jelly fish thing is IMHO a bit strange as the risk of encountering one and dying is low just for comparison lightning strike in Thailand killed 6 in 2018 and is more then those jelly fish yet you never hear people worrying about that. I really have made loads of hours in the water in Thailand and I have encountered yelly fish even the ones you shown and i love watching them. The only times i been stung has been by tentacles cut up floating around hurts a bit when contact is made with the face. I wear a rash guard and it really helps but over all i would say stings are not that common.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes people seem to worry a lot about jelly fish while its really rare for them to kill people. It does happen but compared to the amount of people in the water its rare. So many things are many times more dangerous like the trip to the beach and crossing the road ect. I have been stung by small jelly fish but usually if i wear a rash guard its not bad at all. 

I like the idea of me and the kids swimming in the netted areas.

One sting can ruin your holiday.

I've seen tons after the rains in Hua Hin. 

Edited by MrJ2U