Swimming in the sea in Thailand

superal

4 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I like the idea of me and the kids swimming in the netted areas.

One sting can ruin your holiday.

I've seen tons after the rains in Hua Hin. 

I think it depends on the season too, I live in Thailand full time but only go to the beach in the dry season. I also think that most of the jelly fish you seen are of the non dangerous kind and then one sting is annoying but not deadly. You can't just heap up all jelly fish and say they are all deadly and give enormous pain.

Its just the box jelly fish that are so dangerous and those are not that common. I really don't want to get stung but normal stingers are not a big problem, encountering a box jelly fish is but they are in a minority. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Found the best beach sea water off of islands,  remember Phuket beaches nice over 20 years ago,  wouldn't swim in them anymore.

From memory best sea water beach ever for me was Koh Samet, don't know what it's like these days. 

Phuket is in the Sea. Samet is in the Gulf.  While the water surrounding Phuket is filthy I doubt it's worse than anywhere in the Gulf. Appearance means nothing. A lab test is required 

38 minutes ago, LikeItHot said:

Phuket is in the Sea. Samet is in the Gulf.  While the water surrounding Phuket is filthy I doubt it's worse than anywhere in the Gulf. Appearance means nothing. A lab test is required 

My test at the time was still seeing the white sand at the bottom when up to my neck. 

Apparently koh Samet sea bottom is black. 

I remember some of the "toxic soups" at a couple of beaches near Sydney back in 68!
There were 2 beaches almost side by side, one had a sewer outlet.
I have visited many beach resorts here in my more than 20 years of working / living here.
Here in Thailand I haven't swum in a beach since the late 60's but have swum in other countries where I visited or worked.
The biggest risk has always been rips, having been caught unexpectedly in one I am amazed at how often they are ignored by swimmers here in Thailand.

• Like 1

If you are refering to swimming in the Gulf of Thailand sea...... then dont do it..

Years ago i used to swim  off  Jomtien Beach, i got an Ear infection that would'nt  stop , i went to a  well know Pattaya Hospital   to see an ENT Doctor   who told me  never to swim  in the Gulf of Thailand seas due to Polluted  water  &  many floating objects usuall found in your toilet 

• Thanks 1

Some really informative replies and I for one appreciate those who took the time to explain the realities of swimming in the seas around Thailand . Especially for the once a year swimmer , you should ask around about the safety of where you want to swim . I mentioned earlier the non tidal mediterranean where I have swam many times but when I view the Thai seas I have some reservations and will stick to the hotel pool . BTW about 10 years ago I witnessed a drowned 20 year old UK man get dragged to the shore by fishermen  in Koh Samui . Apparently went for a moonlight dip the night before and had been drinking .

On 9/15/2021 at 11:07 AM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Former SCUBA Diver & Strong Regular Swimmer here.

You missed the toxic polluted sea water. Open Beach Sewer Channels typically running straight into the sea at both ends of most beaches, deliberate design of course.

Swim Only in my 17 mtr Home Pool for Daily HIIT Fin Swims.

Open Water & Boat Trips here ( and anywhere) are WAY too Hazardous to Life. Just not worth it.

Will Walk on Beach, with my kid, getting my feet wet in the surf, but thats it.

Kid & Lady BANNED from Open Water (sea, river, lake) & Boats everywhere.

Must be from the UK. What a load of trollop. 

Pattaya used to be terrible 20 yrs back, but its it has cleaned up way better. 

All thai houses have a septics tank, as such there is no toilet sewerage going into the sea.

Yes, I am a diver too - 1200+ dives and have dived all over Thailand and Asia. Similans has had some of the most amazing viz I have ever seen - at one time almost limitless, and you could see the 40m dee sea bed when getting in the water 

Agree with the other OP, would probably stay away from Patong, but Nai Harn area can be nice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

Pattaya used to be terrible 20 yrs back, but its it has cleaned up way better. 

All thai houses have a septics tank, as such there is no toilet sewerage going into the sea.

You missed the  videos of "black" water flowing into the sea  after the recent Pattaya flooding ?

Edited by johng
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

If you're a smooth water swimmer only then I would suggest only swimming with a floatation device of some sort (see link below, flippers like a poster says he uses in the pool are a good idea too).

Swimming in turbulent water is completely different to swimming in flat calm water, and far more dangerous!

• Drop-offs in the bottom
  • Cross tows (cross-rips running parallel to the beach)
  • Rips
  • Undertow-rips removing your feet from under you, or the bottom-sand from under you very quickly
  • Wave action knocking you over and off the edge of a bank into deeper water
  • Waves hitting you, throwing you down injuring your neck or back
  • People underestimating the depth of water and in attempts to dive under or through waves, instead diving headfirst into the bottom

Always check with the lifeguards before entering the water, and follow their advice (yes even Thai lifeguards know a little on safety).

If you aint' a strong swimmer then I would suggest exercising extreme caution anywhere that you aren't entirely familiar with the beach, the bottom, and the conditions.

Never swim alone if you're as poor swimmer on a full stomach and NEVER with any alcohol in your system. This includes a heavy night before and swim the next morning.

Men drown from alcohol associated death a lot!  Machismo bravado as another cause of drowning is another!

I swim a kilo or so about 3 or 4 times a week as part of my workout regimes. Laps of the beach usually at Nai Thon (close to my home) but previously at Surin when I first moved here, and lifesaving-paddle-board for miles from one beach to another on a regular basis.

The beaches here are really, really clean now (sewerage outfall here isn't such a bad issue except in Patong area) due to a mass exodus of Thai's and almost no tourists for over a year or more.

I'm a beach born Aussie surfer, and ex volunteer lifeguard of decades of service, so swimming is in my DNA.

I've swum in the Med all around its edges both on the African and Euro sides, and most of the oceans of the world.

Phuket right now is really clean (like it was 30-40 years ago!) although the wet season and storms makes the water dirty with detritus run-off and its definitely unsafe sometimes not because of rips (for me) but the crazy amount of trees and logs that will kill ya for sure if ya collide with them. 

I haven't ever really enjoyed swimming in the Gulf of Siam. although Samui when I visited last time was ok. There's a slower passage of water in and out of the Gulf, its relatively shallow (about 60 metres at max depth) which adds to turbulence and murkiness, as well as being a horseshoe shape tends to trap the pollution. 

I agree with others about Pattaya etc - don't swim there cause the water is heavily polluted and with streptococci and other nasties associated with direct discharge of faecal matter into the ocean.

As for nasties in the waters of Phuket there aren't any large pelagic sharks that I have seen, reef sharks yes but they're harmless unless your half-dead, bleeding profusely, thrashing in the water. Being eaten is a very, very, very rare possibility.

Some sea-lice on west coast as in all oceans, and the odd jelly fish (rare that I have seen), rays of course which it is always advisable to admire from a distance as their barbs are very nasty indeed and when crowed but dumb tourists or silly Aussie adventure-men (Steve Irwin) they will flick that tail and could spear you. 

Not been hit by an 'irukandjii or box jellyfish' in the years I have swum there. Some folks seem to be scared-off about them (others found in Phuket as is to be expected but not the box jelly) but I have never seen or heard of anyone since I've lived in Phuket being stung ... well definitely by one.

For me the waters of the west coast of Phuket are some of the safest I've ever swum in - monsoon season is a different time though.

I ride surfboards in wave-times all over the west coast and I've never had any trouble with dangerous rips or the like, but I know how to read the water, and being on a board if I were to get swept out I know not to worry and can paddle for miles if I have to.

If you aren't a strong swimmer I would suggest always using a towable floatation device which is easy to wear and doesn't interfere with swimming. If you cramp-up or a rip grabs you you can simply tuck it under you armpits, lay back, rest, breathe put one arm straight up in the air - the universal rescue sign ... float until rescued, let go of by the rip, or until you have stretched the cramp out and rested enough to swim to the beach. We used these floaties in Australia, along with rescue boards as standard piece of lifeguard equipment (just as valuable as your radio) as a rescue device for drowning swimmers (and ourselves) - these floaties save a lot of lives.  Swim safe and sensible mate ????☺️

This is probably the most informative reply to this post. Thank you very much!

• Like 1

skippy: non- factual, deluded & dismissive. your dive record & my passport are hardly irrelevant here. no mention of people tragically drowning near beaches here every day through tides, currents, etc. your own offshore diving experience does not contradict my shore - based post, which appears to be OP subject. do basic internet search on ”open sewers on thai beaches” or “ polluted thai beaches / seas”. 2.8 million tons garbage removed each year. few closed sanitary systems. open wastewater systems the norm here. poor people have few septic tanks.your rude ignorant post is as if thai beaches & seas are pristine & safe, like the Maldives perhaps… we wish….the facts say otherwise.

• Confused 1

On 9/15/2021 at 5:54 AM, superal said:

Am I alone in thinking this way and are there many regular swimmers from this forum who take to the Thai seas ?  

"Only a fool does not fear the sea"

Worth to be careful with the sea - and water in general in Thailand - 41 percent of tourists deaths are caused by water accidents, while the so much talked about road accidents only cause 22 percent of tourist deaths.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

First time I had a swim here (early 80s) I cut my foot open on a broken bottle. The last time was about 10 years ago. We were spending the day at Pattaya Park. We decided to leave the ladies and go for a dip in the sea. Came out itching all over. Haven't swum in the sea since..

• Haha 1

Daily swimmer in the Gulf for 8 yrs. Mainland south of Samui. Previously weekly swimmer for 7 yrs in Phuket, Nai Harn area.

Worst affect was swimmers ear yrs ago.

I have psoriasis and often have open wounds.

Edited by mikebike

I'm used to surf and rough conditions where you can get a good work out just trying to get beyond the beach break into calmer and deeper waters. So the waters of the Thailand Gulf feel a bit like lying in a  tepid bath.

Having said that, I go swimming every time I go to Pattaya or any coastal area with a bit of a beach. No problems so far, but I do miss a decent 2 metre wave. At Pattaya of Jomtien you can swim in those large enclosures surrounded by the big floats. You can swim out to the far edge and hang/sit on the ropes and watch the world go by.

We're in the middle of Thailand near a reservoir that filled with water from the Sukhothai mountains. 

It's good for a swim. 

Question :-

Where is there a beach in Thailand these days to go to where the sea water is safe and clean. 

On 9/15/2021 at 5:27 AM, robblok said:

I think it really depends where you swim,

Not really - the pollution depends on wind and tide and sources but it swills around most beaches. So it may be more important WHEN you swim.

then there are plastics

The Asia region  more than 80% of plastic pollution,  Thailand is the sixth largest global contributor to marine plastic.

In Thailand, high plastic consumption and poor waste management with low levels of recycling on land are the main contributors to marine plastic pollution.

On islands like Samui. ythe problem is particularly bad as huge piles of waste were accumulated and inappropriately stored. Run off from these dumps gets into the ground water and runs off into the sea.

most Thai islands had all populations until the 1990s and now the sewage from hotels etc has increased expom=nentially with appropriate infrastructure to cope.

many Scuba.companies now use high power boats so they can go further and further offshore just to find sites that have enough wildlife to be entertaining..

A point to bear in mind is the not all pollution is visible or even detectable by a layperson - chemicals in the sea can be odourless and colourless.

There was a while ago, a sea quality index set up.....but I have no idea what happened to that. I know they've had this system in Europe for decades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

I'm used to surf and rough conditions where you can get a good work out just trying to get beyond the beach break into calmer and deeper waters. So the waters of the Thailand Gulf feel a bit like lying in a  tepid bath.

Having said that, I go swimming every time I go to Pattaya or any coastal area with a bit of a beach. No problems so far, but I do miss a decent 2 metre wave. At Pattaya of Jomtien you can swim in those large enclosures surrounded by the big floats. You can swim out to the far edge and hang/sit on the ropes and watch the world go by.

few years back they were pumping raw sewage into the bay at Jomtien and Naklua - they then just moved the outlets so the tide carried the effluent elsewhere.

• Sad 1

On 9/15/2021 at 5:54 AM, superal said:

Am I alone in thinking this way and are there many regular swimmers from this forum who take to the Thai seas ?  

I experienced only Phuket, Pattaya and Koh Samui but I much prefer the mediterranean sea greeks islands. Generally the water is more crystal clear and cleaner in Greece than in Thailand and in Thailand the water is too warm, like being in a soup.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thunglom said:

few years back they were pumping raw sewage into the bay at Jomtien and Naklua - they then just moved the outlets so the tide carried the effluent elsewhere.

There is no need for that in these modern times and the local authorities should be accountable and maybe those who promote holidays where this happens .  There seems to be an area of mystery as to how can a situation of raw sewage going into the sea where people will bathe is both tolerated and lawful .   If the beach cannot achieve a level of no pollution it should be closed down . The UK does have a grading system on beaches , I do not know about other countries . Maybe the WHO should be aware ? No excuses because you are a third world country , cos if you want to attract tourists to your beaches you should be able to provide a safe environment , boast of your hygiene compliant procedures  of keeping bathers safe from pollutants and not putting them in danger .

Absolutely disgusting that local authorities are both aware of the ensuing dangers , yet allow it or make it happen .

• Like 2

23 hours ago, fabruer said:

This is probably the most informative reply to this post. Thank you very much!

My pleasure fabruer. Being a retired dude I now have plenty of time to slow down, and make the small effort to respond to posts like yours ☺️???? Glad it was helpful.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2021 at 9:05 AM, Kwasaki said:

My test at the time was still seeing the white sand at the bottom when up to my neck. 

Apparently koh Samet sea bottom is black. 

Exactly. You could stand neck deep in gasoline and see your feet but I wouldn't recommend it or call it clean.  Your "test" is worthless as is your knowledge of Thai coastal waters. The Koh Samet oil spill in 2013 left oil droplets in the water for many years after. They are probably still there if you look closely while you are not looking at your feet.  The Gulf has a tide sequence and size that basically make it a toilet that never fully flushes. It just splashes around every few hours. Enjoy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LikeItHot said:

Exactly. You could stand neck deep in gasoline and see your feet but I wouldn't recommend it or call it clean.  Your "test" is worthless as is your knowledge of Thai coastal waters. The Koh Samet oil spill in 2013 left oil droplets in the water for many years after. They are probably still there if you look closely while you are not looking at your feet.  The Gulf has a tide sequence and size that basically make it a toilet that never fully flushes. It just splashes around every few hours. Enjoy.

Well if you ain't worked out yet mush my earlier post about Koh Samet was before oil spill.

Go try and be clever elsewhere.

Only today my friend and me took our Jet Ski around to Hard Tien Beach at the other side of Koh Larne  and the water was beautiful, crystal clear emerald and the swimming was lovely, no sign of any unwanted creatures or debris whatsoever.  Its only 25 minutes from Pattaya yet a world away from the grey waters.

Never had much of a problem swimming, boating, canoeing, etc anywhere here. Andaman or Gulf of Thailand.

I have been caught in a riptide on Ko Chang a couple of years ago which was unnerving, but thankfully remembered not to fight against it.

My son is a big surfing, skim-boarding fan also. If you just a apply a few common sense rules here, the risks are acceptable.

• Thanks 1