Swimming in the sea in Thailand

superal

1 hour ago, huangnon said:

Never had much of a problem swimming, boating, canoeing, etc anywhere here. Andaman or Gulf of Thailand.

I have been caught in a riptide on Ko Chang a couple of years ago which was unnerving, but thankfully remembered not to fight against it.

My son is a big surfing, skim-boarding fan also. If you just a apply a few common sense rules here, the risks are acceptable.

I think the 2 week holiday folks are the ones who have to be careful and many assume that the seas are same as in the med etc 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Postmaster said:

Only today my friend and me took our Jet Ski around to Hard Tien Beach at the other side of Koh Larne  and the water was beautiful, crystal clear emerald and the swimming was lovely, no sign of any unwanted creatures or debris whatsoever.  Its only 25 minutes from Pattaya yet a world away from the grey waters.

Used to like swimming underwater in the sea years ago, until one day a jet ski roared overhead whilst I was under.

After that designated areas only.

1 hour ago, huangnon said:

Never had much of a problem swimming, boating, canoeing, etc anywhere here. Andaman or Gulf of Thailand.

I have been caught in a riptide on Ko Chang a couple of years ago which was unnerving, but thankfully remembered not to fight against it.

My son is a big surfing, skim-boarding fan also. If you just a apply a few common sense rules here, the risks are acceptable.

With rips "Go with the flow" is generally the best idea but sometimes... Got caught in a rip in Sydney back in the late 60's, I followed the flow and it dumped me on an underwater sandbar, every time I stood up I got dumped back on sand bar again, couldn't get off, luckily the life savers managed to get me away ( all hats off to these people wherever they are ).     Spent a few days in hospital with skin loss, bruising and water in my lungs.
Just wish the tourists here for a swim took more notice of eating / drinking before their swim and listen to the life guards - if any.

• Like 2

I lived at at a very nice beach Ao Yon on Phuket. Water very clean and nice and warm. I would swim for half an hour morning and evening. Would meet with friends and just float in the water chatting. Now live near Pattaya….after recent rains here the sea was brown. With no tourists it still doesn’t look very nice. Hour and a half south of here are some wonderful beaches. Was on Koh Samui for three weeks, and I thought the beach wasn’t nice and the water much colder than Phuket…..not my cup of tea that island.

In '91, locals on Samui told me that 20 years prior they could tickle the snapper in the sea on Chaweng beach. Today of course a different story, but can and will it be reversed? Ocean pollution and marine conservation a hot topic right now worldwide, lets hope the momentum continues...................Pools are great as a back up, but you gotta like it clinical and chemical.......... nothing better than the feeling of the open sea IMO......................................

The beaches of Pattaya really suck due to pollution.  There is so much flotsam from offshore ships and fishing vessels that winds up on our beaches here like polypropylene lines from fishing nets, discarded drink bottles, bits of plastic sheeting and food packaging, etc.   Local municipality have incredibly poor street drainage and antiquated ways of dealing with sewage so much of it ends up polluting local waters.

I've never seen a "resort" type setting that is so bad in my life.  Even during the pandemic, it's pretty bad.  People on the beach litter just as badly too.  It's a shame they have so little respect for the sea.

As for safety, surprisingly (here in Jomtien) there is ample lifeguard coverage and roped off safe swimming areas.  There really is very little to be concerned about in regard to rip currents or "big" waves on most days.  Besides, any competent ocean swimmer knows how to deal with them if they exist, and if they do not know how to escape a rip current, they have no business swimming when they are present.

The sea is such an amazing recreational resource, it's just a shame that more people don't show some respect for it,

Edited by WaveHunter

On 9/17/2021 at 7:12 PM, Kwasaki said:

Well if you ain't worked out yet mush my earlier post about Koh Samet was before oil spill.

Go try and be clever elsewhere.

So you were reporting on Gulf cleanliness prior to 2013 and trying to pass it off as current? I advise you to always wait for an adult to assist you before crossing the street. Your cognitive function appears to be dramatically impaired.

• Haha 1