You know you're old when..............

KarenBravo

20 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

When you make a conscious effort to look younger. Hair dye, white trousers, loud shirts and a new found love for moisterizer.

I agree with the loud shirts part if you are referring to these Hawiian ones, they are typical of what the overweight big bellied guys wear.

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I agree with the loud shirts part if you are referring to these Hawiian ones, they are typical of what the overweight big bellied guys wear.

Those loud shirts are called "happy shirts". In Indonesia casual Friday is called Batik Friday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

re 'possum1931'

Hello possum! (OMG I'm sounding like Dame Edna Everage! - although I look more like Sir Les Patterson)

Sinatra, like Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Dick Haymes etc. of that period, was basically a 'crooner'. Today they sound very bland but that was the popular style up to around 1960. 'The Perry Como Show' was tremendously popular on UK TV. Michael Holiday, Dennis Lotus and Dickie Valentine were popular British crooners.

Then it changed - pre-Beatles. More and more, Country, Blues and Jazz influenced popular song in the USA. Elvis and Roy, as you know, were Southern boys deeply influenced by the Country/Blues heritage. (Remember George Clooney and the Soggy Bottom Boys in  'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' - funny!)

Contentious, maybe, but I think jazz influenced popular singing a lot back then. A pleasant and simple song called 'Make Someone Happy' was crooned on record, usually very boringly - although there was a very skilful and pleasant rendition by Margaret Whiting, BUT WHOA! Della Reese, even getting on in years, transformed it! It sends a tingle down my spine. Della was born in Black Bottom, Detroit, and can't you just tell! (It's on YouTube)

Della Reese Sings by Della Reese on Amazon Music - Amazon.com

• Like 2

20 hours ago, starky said:

Got news for you 63 is ooooooold. Sugar coat it however you want come up with whatever makes you feel good bit 63 is fxxxng ancient . Sorry.

Oh dear........a young 'un who has yet to learn how to present the bait more naturally and with subtlety.

It's at times like these that I remember the quote "Growing old isn't so bad once you've considered the alternative".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Oh dear........a young 'un who has yet to learn how to present the bait more naturally and with subtlety.

It's at times like these that I remember the quote "Growing old isn't so bad once you've considered the alternative".

Na just stirring the pot and hardly a young 'un there grandad lol ???? im ageing quite gracefully thanks very much and totally enjoying the ride not pretending I could still compete with me in my 20s.

And speaking of the alternative who wants to be 100? Well the bloke who is 99 for one. There's a dad joke you can have.

Edited by starky

3 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Similar.  I arrived here when I was 58 , for years I was a window cleaner , I could climb up the ladder , stand on a wall then haul the ladder up, put it down the other side ...then return.  Now at 74 I get worried climbing 4ft up steps to clean a ceiling light.

Good reminder....

When I have to go up a ladder, the first thought is "I'm too old for this sh!t"......

That's about the only time that phrase announces itself....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

You are an old fart and still think you are the sexy man......and, when you bend over to cut a big fart and <deleted> in your pants.....and you are BALD on top but still think it is cool to have a ponytail.....????????

D4E14DF9-3452-44B7-A286-1CB1D7294D8F.jpeg

Close but I thought belly buttons were for holding salt for the chips.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Where is the melody in this song? The voice sounds like a typical singer taking part in a pub sing song. Listen to the difference when you hear Elvis or Roy Orbison, you get a good original singing voice, with a melody that you can make out rather than just words coming out of someone's mouth.

I agree , even my dad about 100 years ago agreed.  Hardly a patch on Andy Williams.

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Growing old........................................ That was Maurice Chevalier. How do I know. When I became 65 several years ago my brother sent me a book called ' Old Git Wit '. One from ......page 33  ' I go slower as time goes faster '.