Immigration officer asking for ex-wife in order to renew extension of Non-O Thai Child

Has anyone been asked in Bangkok for their ex-spouse to show up for the extension of Non-O based on Thai child?
I have been divorced for 5 years, always renewed in Hua Hin, but yesterday in Bangkok I was told that my ex-wife needs to accompany me and my son in order to renew my visa.

What kind of logic is that? She could be re-married and moved to any other country in the world, despite having shared custody.

Anyone had the same experience?
I assume they are just looking for an envelope..?

Edited by Topprofile
spelling

Thank you for your reply!

Well in one way, I'm lucky as me and my ex are still on speaking terms. But what if someone does not have contact or the spouse refuses just out of spite? There is no sense whatsoever in this request from Immigration. 

My extension expires tomorrow, immigration has told me not to come back, but that they will call me. I have no proof that I have submitted the paperwork nor did they take the 1900 application fee.. They just told my son and me to go home. All very strange..

I have to go back in the morning again as I won't risk having them come the day after and say I'm on overstay...

• Sad 1

I had this happen in hua hin , my ex is living in Australia ,  I have full custody of my children with all the paper from the Thai courts , after arguing with them for a hour ,because my ex wasn’t coming back , and I was staying there,  they relented, never had the problem again , I think they thought an easy fleece . I hope you fight them and win , I videoed the little fat lady in hua hin

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rawairat said:

I had a divorce agreement, stating I was responsible for our child,  registered at the local district office which covered me in Phuket. Had to be a new copy every year from the office which only cost B30.

I had this document as well however on the first day they still insisted my ex needed to join.
In the end it was all about being drunk on power

• Like 1

Yes, I was asked that in January 2017, and that was the last straw. You all be photographed by the IO. I changed to an extension based on a WP after that.

However, I still got a visit after changing my extension of stay. The officer asked to see my child and my ex. Fortunately, she lived nearby, so she was able to come over.

1 hour ago, cTay said:

Yes, I was asked that in January 2017, and that was the last straw. You all be photographed by the IO. I changed to an extension based on a WP after that.

However, I still got a visit after changing my extension of stay. The officer asked to see my child and my ex. Fortunately, she lived nearby, so she was able to come over.

????

@TopprofileYour posts about the Hua Hin office are very brave. You may not be aware that you can find yourself in a lot of trouble in Thailand publishing information derogatory of specific officials or offices, even if everything you write is 100% true. I gave your main post a like, but would counsel you to be cautious going forward. Do not be astonished if a moderator decides to remove the post for safety.

Edited by BritTim

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

@TopprofileYour posts about the Hua Hin office are very brave. You may not be aware that you can find yourself in a lot of trouble in Thailand publishing information derogatory of specific officials or offices, even if everything you write is 100% true. I gave your main post a like, but would counsel you to be cautious going forward. Do not be astonished if a moderator decides to remove the post for safety.

Isn’t coruption against the law and speaking about it is the only way to get it out in the public

2 hours ago, Foghorn said:

Isn’t coruption against the law and speaking about it is the only way to get it out in the public

That is entirely logical. However, Thailand is not Norway. In the same way that I would not advise a North Korean to publicly highlight abuses by the Kim regime, it is unwise to upset wealthy and/or connected people in Thailand. The court system is not your friend when it comes to disputes with the wrong people in Thailand.

Corruption is pervasive within Thailand and, in general, the corruption becomes worse the higher up in the system you go. Even at very senior levels, clean officials do exist, but they are in the minority, and know better than to try to confront the misdeeds of their peers.