Ukrainian woman killed as ice delivery pickup wipes out

snoop1130

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

But the link opens to a confusing page of ads and clickbait with no more text detail on the 'accident'.

Lots of info on that link to Phuket News.
https://www.thephuketnews.com/ukrainian-woman-killed-as-ice-delivery-pickup-wipes-out-81411.php

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Oh really maybe you have no clue how many Thais are on the road or are thinking that there ar far more then 30k deaths in traffic a year. Even if you assume that each accident involves 2 people and each accident its the fault of the surviving side you will only remove around 30k drivers. That is a drip compared to the number of drivers.

Not denying that it would help but your overstating things a bit.

After being in traffic in Thailand for over 20 years, I think I know what I'm talking about.

In fact there is hardly anyone who can drive properly because of the bad traffic education.

About 55 years ago, I've got my driver license in the Netherlands, even that time it was many times better than now in Thailand. (Nou jij weer)

11 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

One of the problems with these so called ice-trucks is they get overloaded, they seem to forget or not realise that water (or frozen water in this case) is heavy, you see it every day with overloaded trucks such as these or motorbike with sidecars heavily overloaded and difficult to control.

Yeah, low education standards mean very little awareness of basic physics and its relationship to everyday life ... visible on LOS roads every day, no sense of speed, inertia, friction and so on ...

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TimBKK said:
6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

CCTV footage showed that the ice delivery truck was travelling at speed on the wet road and had swerved to avoid colliding with a white pickup truck that had just made a U-turn.

And there you have it. The three things that cause most accidents in Thailand condensed into one sentence. What could possibly go wrong.

Expand  

Would alcohol break the top 3?  If not, definitely 4th.

Not at 7.30am. Most Some of the time ????

6 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Is there a lot of 30 year old Ukrainian women in Phuket ? I wonder what she did.

She was a yoga teacher, and wife of a well-known gymnast and teacher practicing here in Phuket. Here's the obituary:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/phuket.union.travel/permalink/4377367702352067/

If someone active on Facebook with local Thai friends, would be nice to share it to spread the word and put this accident into public light. 

• Like 1

The way I see it, two Thai drivers are at fault: one was recklessly u-turning in front of the fast incoming traffic, 2nd one was speeding in wet conditions. It is very important both of them are brought to justice and removed from the roads forever. If anyone has contacts of a lawyer who can make this happen, please pm.

Edited by andreww
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, lesmac said:

Causing a death by reckless driving, He should go straight to jail followed by a 10 year ban but he's probably out driving again today and until Thailand gets tougher on this it will continue

You are absolutely right... and it angers me that there is so little in the way of punishment for reckless drivers that endanger lives on a daily basis. It just doesn't make any sense that these drivers are not held accountable. Its madness...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, transam said:

What a strange comment......????

Every time I hear of ppl living in a paradise like Phuket, I just always wonder how they did it. That's all. I could never do it. And I just wonder how other ppl do it.

Anyway someone answered above. It just makes it all the more tragic. Someone from Ukraine of all places, living the dream in Phuket, only for tragedy to strike. ????

Edited by Harsh Jones

“At this stage, police have not decided what charges the driver [Theerawat] will face, as we have to wait for him and his passenger, and the driver of the other pickup truck driver, to be discharged from hospital first so we can question them,”

There is CCTV what more evidence do they need. Manslaughter by reckless driving.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

Indeed the pickup driver was as usual to blame, however, not much consolation for the family of that Ukrainian woman. If she had been driving a pick-up herself, ironically, she may be alive now.

I only drive my scooter in a rural setting, I would not do so in the city, precisely because the quality of driving in Thailand is dangerously poor.

Poor unlucky lady indeed, RIP.

About your last statement, I am glad that you feel safer where you drive now, but I hate to break to you that in fact you are no better off than in a city.

If you read the statistics, it is indeed true that about 80% of fatal accidents involve motorcycles. But if you read further, you will find out that if you break that down by 100,000 people, the provinces with the most accidents are in fact generally the "countryside" ones. In fact, Bangkok has the second-lowest road fatalities every 100,000 people in the country.

Further, people often assume that motorcycle drivers die as victims of accidents with car drivers.

In fact, they are largely responsible themselves. Speeding, cutting in front of other vehicles, riding on the wrong side of the road and poor driving skills accounted for about half of the motorcycle crashes. Finally, most of the fatal motorbike crashes involve unlicensed drivers who never learned to drive properly. I can guess that these are found more commonly in the countryside and that the state of the roads is probably another factor which is worse in there than in a city.

The unfortunate Ukrainian lady's accident was caused by a pick-up, true. But the fact that it happened in Phuket puts that under the spotlight and on this forum. Statistically, there must have been about 50 other motorcycle drivers dead on the same day, that we know nothing about and that were probably not the result a guilty car driver in a city environment.

I am sure you are a good driver, always with helmet on, and that you'll be safe but that's largely regardless of whether you are in a big city or in the sticks.

Sorry for dragging it so long, insomnia tonight.

(ps: statistics from an article on the newspaper that cannot be linked, dated 13 Feb 2019)

4 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Poor unlucky lady indeed, RIP.

About your last statement, I am glad that you feel safer where you drive now, but I hate to break to you that in fact you are no better off than in a city.

If you read the statistics, it is indeed true that about 80% of fatal accidents involve motorcycles. But if you read further, you will find out that if you break that down by 100,000 people, the provinces with the most accidents are in fact generally the "countryside" ones. In fact, Bangkok has the second-lowest road fatalities every 100,000 people in the country.

Further, people often assume that motorcycle drivers die as victims of accidents with car drivers.

In fact, they are largely responsible themselves. Speeding, cutting in front of other vehicles, riding on the wrong side of the road and poor driving skills accounted for about half of the motorcycle crashes. Finally, most of the fatal motorbike crashes involve unlicensed drivers who never learned to drive properly. I can guess that these are found more commonly in the countryside and that the state of the roads is probably another factor which is worse in there than in a city.

The unfortunate Ukrainian lady's accident was caused by a pick-up, true. But the fact that it happened in Phuket puts that under the spotlight and on this forum. Statistically, there must have been about 50 other motorcycle drivers dead on the same day, that we know nothing about and that were probably not the result a guilty car driver in a city environment.

I am sure you are a good driver, always with helmet on, and that you'll be safe but that's largely regardless of whether you are in a big city or in the sticks.

Sorry for dragging it so long, insomnia tonight.

(ps: statistics from an article onThanks. the newspaper that cannot be linked, dated 13 Feb 2019)

Thanks, indeed I always wear a helmet but my driving is average. This sounds very interesting, a shame that article can't be linked to. It sounds so counter-intuitive that you'd have more accidents in the countryside. Since there are less vehicles. Would love to see the figures.

8 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Every time I hear of ppl living in a paradise like Phuket, I just always wonder how they did it. That's all. I could never do it. And I just wonder how other ppl do it.

Easy. You have 3 options:

- retire

- work online 

- get a job here

About her, she had a job here.

Edited by Espanol
  • Like 1

I am becoming more convinced that one reason the driving tests here remain easy, is that IMO no Thai could ever pass a real test as in the UK for example, and therefore car sales would plummet, big car manufactures would complain and the government would lose out on purchase tax.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:
On 9/15/2021 at 7:10 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Don't want to spoil it for you, there is a link.   

But the link opens to a confusing page of ads and clickbait with no more text detail on the 'accident'.

The link opens to the perfectly obvious full news story, with ads, and a lot more detail than the OP where your question is answered. 

17 hours ago, andreww said:

The way I see it, two Thai drivers are at fault: one was recklessly u-turning in front of the fast incoming traffic, 2nd one was speeding in wet conditions. It is very important both of them are brought to justice and removed from the roads forever. If anyone has contacts of a lawyer who can make this happen, please pm.

The way you see something that you didn't witness and you think that you have so much information that you've become the prosecutor, have you?

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

You are absolutely right... and it angers me that there is so little in the way of punishment for reckless drivers that endanger lives on a daily basis. It just doesn't make any sense that these drivers are not held accountable. Its madness...

What do you mean "they're not held accountable"?   Who's not being held accountable?

9 hours ago, arithai12 said:

“At this stage, police have not decided what charges the driver [Theerawat] will face, as we have to wait for him and his passenger, and the driver of the other pickup truck driver, to be discharged from hospital first so we can question them,”

There is CCTV what more evidence do they need. Manslaughter by reckless driving.

Oddly enough. the driver and the others involved, and the witnesses have to be interviewed.

18 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What do you mean "they're not held accountable"?   Who's not being held accountable?

the reckless drivers of course!!! They often walk away from these tragedies with a fine and a slap on the wrist.

People who cause deaths in accidents "often walk away without being held accountable"?  Do they?  Without quoting the obvious forum example, Red Bull, such as who?  Who's been responsible for road deaths, caught and been allowed to walk free?

A post in which the quoted content was altered out of context has been removed as well as the replies:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

Some posts bickering about the meaning of "Scouser" have been removed as well as the replies.