Ukrainian woman killed as ice delivery pickup wipes out

snoop1130

1631699560_1-org.jpg

The scene of the accident this morning (Sept 15). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A Ukrainian woman was killed and three other people were injured after an ice delivery truck spun out of control on Thepkrasattri Rd this morning (Sept 15). The truck, a converted pickup truck with a ‘cold box’ fitted on the back, crossed the central reservation and ploughed head-on into oncoming traffic on the other side of  the road.

Lt Chanita Boonyanuwat of the Thalang Police was called to the scene, on the southbound lanes of Thepkrasattri Rd in front of Wat Tha Ruea, in Srisoonthorn, just before 7:30am.

Police together with Kusoldharm rescue workers arrived to find a calamity of an accident scene.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/ukrainian-woman-killed-as-ice-delivery-pickup-wipes-out-81411.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-09-15

• Sad 6

13 hours ago, Will B Good said:

The Ice Man Cometh.......

Pretty sure these are not refrigerated, as the all the drivers of these vans drive like maniacs.

I guess they are under pressure not to let the ice melt.

Strange, I cannot find any reference to the truck being refrigerated in the story. Where did you see that?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

When that happens, it will be very quiet on the road.

Oh really maybe you have no clue how many Thais are on the road or are thinking that there ar far more then 30k deaths in traffic a year. Even if you assume that each accident involves 2 people and each accident its the fault of the surviving side you will only remove around 30k drivers. That is a drip compared to the number of drivers.

Not denying that it would help but your overstating things a bit.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Seismic said:

Strange, I cannot find any reference to the truck being refrigerated in the story. Where did you see that?

"The truck, a converted pickup truck with a ‘cold box’ fitted on the back..."

Not clear whether the "cold box" was "refrigerated" or just "insulated", but presumably it was one of those enclosures with thick silver walls that are fitted onto trucks delivering chilled or frozen goods.

• Like 2

At the market yesterday, I was chatting with a lady selling jeans, when a lady just drove up to park inside the market, on the phone. I pointed out that this type of dangerous foolishness is made legitimate and legal, due to the inaction of police on the roads. I told her that in my country, people would tell her straight that what she is doing is illegal, dangerous and reckless, and endangers people, and particularly kids playing close by.

I was telling her that it was strange that there is no pressure from society to stop this behavior.

And, priceless, she replied that if anyone dared to condemn this behavior, they would be the ones considered as bad people...

Looks like if it is not someone shooting people on the sidewalk while driving, then it must be ok...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

At the market yesterday, I was chatting with a lady selling jeans, when a lady just drove up to park inside the market, on the phone. I pointed out that this type of dangerous foolishness is made legitimate and legal, due to the inaction of police on the roads. I told her that in my country, people would tell her straight that what she is doing is illegal, dangerous and reckless, and endangers people, and particularly kids playing close by.

I was telling her that it was strange that there is no pressure from society to stop this behavior.

And, priceless, she replied that if anyone dared to condemn this behavior, they would be the ones considered as bad people...

Looks like if it is not someone shooting people on the sidewalk while driving, then it must be ok...

Sounds about right......not allowed to admonish anyone for anything...bad form, plus you might get stabbed or shot.

Wife goes ballistic if I start to kick off about anything......she is mortified.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

What country are you from ? While in my country the police would take action maybe some people would take videos for proof but not many would go for the direct confrontation as that can end not well. This is in the Netherlands its not that violent over there but road rage does happen and people have been killed and beat up after commenting over the driving of a car. 

I would think there are not many countries where the people would actively engage others on their driving out of the risk for violence.

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

What country are you from ? While in my country the police would take action maybe some people would take videos for proof but not many would go for the direct confrontation as that can end not well. This is in the Netherlands its not that violent over there but road rage does happen and people have been killed and beat up after commenting over the driving of a car. 

I would think there are not many countries where the people would actively engage others on their driving out of the risk for violence.

Driving through the Netherlands last year.

A car in the middle lane forced the car behind to stop, then all four occupants of the car in front got out to confront the driver.....and this was in very fast moving traffic.

Really scary.

Edited by Will B Good