Ukrainian woman killed as ice delivery pickup wipes out

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

What country are you from ? While in my country the police would take action maybe some people would take videos for proof but not many would go for the direct confrontation as that can end not well. This is in the Netherlands its not that violent over there but road rage does happen and people have been killed and beat up after commenting over the driving of a car. 

I would think there are not many countries where the people would actively engage others on their driving out of the risk for violence.

Well, you may be right.

I am from Canada though. I never saw road rages, but there must be some. Here I see some, and hear ambulances all day from my apartment. NOBODY complains here. And when there is a complaint that people drive too fast on their street, a police patrol with radar will spend hours checking speed. Here people say :'Why call the police, nothing will happen'. Words I remember hearing.

I did see in my town in Canada a fellow telling a lady driver to shut off her phone, waiting side by side at a traffic light. She replied 'I know what I am doing'.

But some pressure from society, like signs one meter wide 'Drive slowly, kids are playing'.

And some people calling police while driving and looking at someone is a deep phone conversation. So there are some.

It does create at least a culture of caring for others...

5 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Well, you may be right.

I am from Canada though. I never saw road rages, but there must be some. Here I see some, and hear ambulances all day from my apartment. NOBODY complains here. And when there is a complaint that people drive too fast on their street, a police patrol with radar will spend hours checking speed. Here people say :'Why call the police, nothing will happen'. Words I remember hearing.

I did see in my town in Canada a fellow telling a lady driver to shut off her phone, waiting side by side at a traffic light. She replied 'I know what I am doing'.

But some pressure from society, like signs one meter wide 'Drive slowly, kids are playing'.

And some people calling police while driving and looking at someone is a deep phone conversation. So there are some.

It does create at least a culture of caring for others...

Yes and no, personally I prefer not to talk to people about their faults as it can go wrong and only if it personally affects me will i comment. I also don't think that private people have the right to comment on others before you know it you got a neighborhood watch high on power. These things should be done by the police so what i would do if it really bothers me is film it let the police handle it.

I feel its a fine line between the two, can be positive but can easily be negative too. I will comment on friends of course and people i know. Complete strangers when im not personally affected.. no way. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes and no, personally I prefer not to talk to people about their faults as it can go wrong and only if it personally affects me will i comment. I also don't think that private people have the right to comment on others before you know it you got a neighborhood watch high on power. These things should be done by the police so what i would do if it really bothers me is film it let the police handle it.

I feel its a fine line between the two, can be positive but can easily be negative too. I will comment on friends of course and people i know. Complete strangers when im not personally affected.. no way. 

Well, in Canada, people contribute to try to make life safe, for themselves, and their children.

In Thailand there is no such thing, as they are afraid of the consequences that could be inflicted upon them by one of these uncivilized people.

I suppose that if it was left to you, people would still be allowed to smoke on planes.

Here i am not sure if people are cowards, or that they recognize the culture that they live in.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

One of the problems with these so called ice-trucks is they get overloaded,

They know they are overloaxed but No pompem just put  bigger  tyres and more rear leaf springs............... until the chasis  snaps, the brakes overheat and the steering  goes to  buggery. Its  not  just ice trucks, all fruit  carrying trucks as  well, thousands by me  sitting in the outside  lane cant move for fear of it  tipping over.which i often see

Just now, Rampant Rabbit said:

They know they are overloaxed but No pompem just put  bigger  tyres and more rear leaf springs............... until the chasis  snaps, the brakes overheat and the steering  goes to  buggery. Its  not  just ice trucks, all fruit  carrying trucks as  well, thousands by me  sitting in the outside  lane cant move for fear of it  tipping over.which i often see

I was driving back from Pai the other day in the mountains and it was raining and this pickup truck in front of me could not get enough traction to climb a hill - you can see his wheels spin freely each time he tried to climb it. Imagine that pickup in any situation where he'd have to brake to avoid a collision, pair that with typical Thai driving, and it becomes pretty clear why these pickup trucks have so many accidents.

• Like 1

Just now, wprime said:

I was driving back from Pai the other day in the mountains and it was raining and this pickup truck in front of me could not get enough traction to climb a hill - you can see his wheels spin freely each time he tried to climb it. Imagine that pickup in any situation where he'd have to brake to avoid a collision, pair that with typical Thai driving, and it becomes pretty clear why these pickup trucks have so many accidents.

Reason will be bald  tryes (  common) and overinflated 60+psi etc saves  fuel in their  tiny  minds

10 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Well, in Canada, people contribute to try to make life safe, for themselves, and their children.

In Thailand there is no such thing, as they are afraid of the consequences that could be inflicted upon them by one of these uncivilized people.

I suppose that if it was left to you, people would still be allowed to smoke on planes.

Here i am not sure if people are cowards, or that they recognize the culture that they live in.

Not sure what made you think i would support smoking, I would just not enforce the rules. That is up to people who are paid for it.

Its one thing to support rules and follow them. Its an other thing to become a vigilante and enforce them yourself (yes its extreme but taking the law into your own hands is a sliding scale).

You seem to go around it the wrong way, you think you should police others. I think the police should do the policing and when they don't then you go through the legal way to make them enforce the law. 

I would definitely campaign for changing a road near a school for kids if I had kids. I would NOT start harassing other drivers enforcing the law. That is not my job and IMHO is wrong for civilians to do. I would pressure local government to make the police enforce laws.

I am not against your ideals I would just not go around the way you do to get them. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not sure what made you think i would support smoking, I would just not enforce the rules. That is up to people who are paid for it.

Its one thing to support rules and follow them. Its an other thing to become a vigilante and enforce them yourself (yes its extreme but taking the law into your own hands is a sliding scale).

You seem to go around it the wrong way, you think you should police others. I think the police should do the policing and when they don't then you go through the legal way to make them enforce the law. 

I would definitely campaign for changing a road near a school for kids if I had kids. I would NOT start harassing other drivers enforcing the law. That is not my job and IMHO is wrong for civilians to do. I would pressure local government to make the police enforce laws.

I am not against your ideals I would just not go around the way you do to get them. 

Ok got it.

If you see someone raping a girl, you would not go and start harassing rapists, not your job.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Andre0720 said:

Ok got it.

If you see someone raping a girl, you would not go and start harassing rapists, not your job.

Id call the cops then take action, you do know that if you see real crimes not traffic crimes your allowed to take action ?

There is a difference between becoming a traffic vigilante or to only take matters into ones own hand when there are genuine emergency situations. 

31 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Reason will be bald  tryes (  common) and overinflated 60+psi etc saves  fuel in their  tiny  minds

I would say reason is probably having no load, making these rear drive vehicles getting no traction in many cases.

• Haha 1

Ukrainian woman killed by a speeding truck that should never go over the speed of 80 km per hour . 

When loaded  the driver should reduce speed as the braking distance is increased . 

I see delivery trucks  every day driving badly and on reading the death of this woman i become angry because of the  ignorance shown by Thai drivers .

People will say how do you know what the cause of the accident was . I say in reply I am 99 percent sure as i have seen so many Thai drivers in action.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

Goes to show how dangerous scooters are. Had the Ukrainian woman rented a car instead she'd be alive.

I think you'll find that it was the badly driven pick up that was the dangerous vehicle. In fact I long ago concluded that pick ups are the most dangerous vehicles on Thailand's roads, especially when it's raining.

Drivers just do not seem to appreciate how unstable and unpredictable they can be.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tanomazu said:

I only drive my scooter in a rural setting, I would not do so in the city, precisely because the quality of driving in Thailand is dangerously poor.

Same with me. I survived 3 years in Udon Thani, but I'm glad I now live in the countryside away from the hustle and bustle. I actually enjoy my riding now.

You still have to watch out though. I've had at least 3 close encounters, all with fellow motorcyclists!

Just now, Moonlover said:

Same with me. I survived 3 years in Udon Thani, but I'm glad I now live in the countryside away from the hustle and bustle. I actually enjoy my riding now.

You still have to watch out though. I've had at least 3 close encounters, all with fellow motorcyclists!

It's very enjoyable to hit the countryside with the scooter, driving it on a city highway with Thai pickups would be my idea of hell. I sometimes was tempted to take it into the city, but you read a story like this and glad I never did.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Apathetic in my opinion . If you witness stupidity , cruelness then take action

1 minute ago, itsari said:

Apathetic in my opinion . If you witness stupidity , cruelness then take action

Problem with your statement is that we all got different idea's of what is right and wrong. If you start advocating vigilante actions then your destroying rule of law. Sorry not my cup of tea. When someone is in immediate danger i will help otherwise i let the law handle things. Lets say you start enforcing no smoking in a plane and someone refuses to stop. Are you going to beat them up ? How much of a beating is enough ? How much will the next guy beat someone up.

Maybe next they see you walk with your thai daughter and think your ped0 and beat you up. I mean when your willing to accept vigilante justice you have to be willing to accept a lot of mistakes and people crossing the line. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Problem with your statement is that we all got different idea's of what is right and wrong. If you start advocating vigilante actions then your destroying rule of law. Sorry not my cup of tea. When someone is in immediate danger i will help otherwise i let the law handle things. Lets say you start enforcing no smoking in a plane and someone refuses to stop. Are you going to beat them up ? How much of a beating is enough ? How much will the next guy beat someone up.

Maybe next they see you walk with your thai daughter and think your ped0 and beat you up. I mean when your willing to accept vigilante justice you have to be willing to accept a lot of mistakes and people crossing the line. 

Back to the original post , if you see a fragrant abuse of the law on the roads you are ready to say let the law handle the situation even if there is no police in the area . All are in immediate danger with a driver not following the rules of the road . I am not advocating violence . I am encouraging road users to let the offenders know they are doing wrong . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, itsari said:

Back to the original post , if you see a fragrant abuse of the law on the roads you are ready to say let the law handle the situation even if there is no police in the area . All are in immediate danger with a driver not following the rules of the road . I am not advocating violence . I am encouraging road users to let the offenders know they are doing wrong . 

That depends on you knowing the law and doing so as a foreigner in Thailand is only going to make things worse. How would you like a foreigner telling you what to do in your country. Id say good luck to you.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

CCTV footage showed that the ice delivery truck was travelling at speed on the wet road and had swerved to avoid colliding with a white pickup truck that had just made a U-turn.

And there you have it. The three things that cause most accidents in Thailand condensed into one sentence. What could possibly go wrong.

Would alcohol break the top 3?  If not, definitely 4th.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

That depends on you knowing the law and doing so as a foreigner in Thailand is only going to make things worse. How would you like a foreigner telling you what to do in your country. Id say good luck to you.

I have lived as a foreigner in many countries if that has any weight on the subject . The law is the same for a Thai citizen or a foreigner residing in Thailand . Make things worse ? Just there pride 

When living in a foreign country you need to know the law .

Good luck to you Mr Apathetic 

• Haha 1

I have a friend owning an ice factory with a dozen ice delivery trucks. These are all basically a one ton truck with an insulated box at the back. No refrigeration unit ( thermoking, Hitachi, sanden) which is normally seen right behind top of driver cabin. Cheap but cost effective design. 

• Thanks 1