True or False?

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Please, what would I need to go to Dubai & back, apart from the airline ticket.

British passport, retirement extension, double jabbed, re-entry permit. What else?

You would have to apply for a certificate of entry (COE) to the Thai consulate in Dubai.

Site for COE application. https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/ 

Then after arriving here at this time you have to into the 14 day quarantine at AQ hotel.

15 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Please, what would I need to go to Dubai & back, apart from the airline ticket.

British passport, retirement extension, double jabbed, re-entry permit. What else?

If you could push that trip back you may be able to reenter and not require quarantine having been fully vaccinated.

Keep an eye on any announcements over next few weeks.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 40/400k baht insurance is only required if you apply for a non-o visa at a embassy.

If you have a extension of stay based upon retirement and with a valid re-entry permit it is not required at most embassies and official consulates to get a certificate of entry.

Thanks very much.

That means I can get the company I prefer, and save 4000 baht!

I'm on a non O retirement visa. Obtained in Thailand. I've never needed insurance until now. Due to  covid. And from what my broker told me, it's new with covid.

I renewed in March and didn't need the insurance. The broker is telling me I'll need it to enter under the CoE program. I'm sceptical.

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I'm on a non O retirement visa. Obtained in Thailand. I've never needed insurance until now. Due to  covid. And from what my broker told me, it's new with covid.

I renewed in March and didn't need the insurance. The broker is telling me I'll need it to enter under the CoE program. I'm sceptical.

If you return with reentry permit you will need 100k covid insurance for duration of what is left of your reentry permit

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If you could push that trip back you may be able to reenter and not require quarantine having been fully vaccinated.

Keep an eye on any announcements over next few weeks.

I have not decided when I am going yet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I have not decided when I am going yet.

Good. Try and wait.

No guarantees but chances are that soon...ish you may be able to arrive Bangkok and not have to quarantine.

There may be restrictions such as remain in Bangkok province for that time and obviously fully vaccinated but financially and mentally much better than current requirements.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, ifmu said:

what did axa tell you ?

I emailed them the question and....

.....they forwarded it to the same broker!

*sigh*

I am trying to give AXA my business because they came through and paid a small claim on my previous trip. They are also 4000 baht cheaper.

The question, by the way, was not did I need insurance, but also 

the 400,000 THB inpatient and 40,000 THB outpatient coverage that some policies have, and some don't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeijoshinCool said:

I emailed them the question and....

.....they forwarded it to the same broker!

*sigh*

I am trying to give AXA my business because they came through and paid a small claim on my previous trip. They are also 4000 baht cheaper.

The question, by the way, was not did I need insurance, but also 

the 400,000 THB inpatient and 40,000 THB outpatient coverage that some policies have, and some don't.

For what it may be worth :-

I returned to Thailand on a Multiple Entry O-A visa on 31 OCT 2019 - with a Re-entry Permit, because Immigration had told me that this was needed if leaving the country for more than two weeks, as was the case.

Shortly after reaching my home destination, I went to Immigration on 11 NOV 2019, both to report my return and to apply for a 12-month O-A Visa Extension.

Immigration asked me if I had health insurance.
Answer: "Yes."
"Is it with one of the 8 insurance companies approved by the Thai Government?"
I knew nothing about that: but was told it was a new regulation introduced in April that year.
I said "OK, give me the details and I will insure."
Reply: "It is too late.  The insurers will wish to check on your health and the policy will not be issued by the Visa's expiry date."  (25 NOV, 14 days later)
I said:"What can I do?"
Answer: "We can give you an O Visa in place of the O-A Visa.  You do not need health insurance for that."

So an O-Visa, without the government-approved health insurance, is what I now have.

Incidentally, when out of curiosity I studied the approved insurance policies, only two out of the eight companies would insure a person over 70 years of age, and the remaining two would not insure beyond 75, unless you were already insured with them prior to that cut-off age.  And the annual premium was about 130K baht for the minimum cover of 400K + 40K baht.

Coincidentally, for approximately the past seven years I have had, on term-deposit here, 1,250,000 baht plus a bit of accrued interest.  800K for the obvious reason and the remainder in case of dire necessity.

Of course, rules may have changed in the past couple of years.

• Like 1

I first checked with TUNE and the quote was 3000 higher than AXA. I asked them the two questions about 1. Length of time required: They said because it is a Government requirement. And 2. The cost for Vaccinated vs Unvaccinated folks being the same…they said because the insurance cover you in case of other issues. Of course I asked about in event of a motorbike accident…guess what…no coverage. They sent me a list of exclusions on the insurance. After reviewing the exclusions the insurance is nearly worthless.

At AXA when I asked about covid insurance and told then that I had a non O extension, They replied telling me that I needed the other full coverage 40/400000 baht much more costly insurance. I wrote back and told them all that I needed was the Covid coverage as stated on the Thai Emb website. They then said “oh yes sir that’s is the coverage you need”. Honest mistake or a fleece job for the uninitiated?… I did not ask about the exclusions or if the insurance only covers covid. 
As my Momma told me long ago “Son, life is not fair”….

Cheers.

PS The Canada border is open to folks entering with only a negative covid test. Wake up Thailand!

4 tests in a two week period …..baaaaaaa

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If you return with reentry permit you will need 100k covid insurance for duration of what is left of your reentry permit

Yes. I understand that. But what about needing 400k insurance? My broker is saying that I need this also.

1 hour ago, ericbj said:

For what it may be worth :-

I returned to Thailand on a Multiple Entry O-A visa on 31 OCT 2019 - with a Re-entry Permit, because Immigration had told me that this was needed if leaving the country for more than two weeks, as was the case.

Shortly after reaching my home destination, I went to Immigration on 11 NOV 2019, both to report my return and to apply for a 12-month O-A Visa Extension.

Immigration asked me if I had health insurance.
Answer: "Yes."
"Is it with one of the 8 insurance companies approved by the Thai Government?"
I knew nothing about that: but was told it was a new regulation introduced in April that year.
I said "OK, give me the details and I will insure."
Reply: "It is too late.  The insurers will wish to check on your health and the policy will not be issued by the Visa's expiry date."  (25 NOV, 14 days later)
I said:"What can I do?"
Answer: "We can give you an O Visa in place of the O-A Visa.  You do not need health insurance for that."

So an O-Visa, without the government-approved health insurance, is what I now have.

Incidentally, when out of curiosity I studied the approved insurance policies, only two out of the eight companies would insure a person over 70 years of age, and the remaining two would not insure beyond 75, unless you were already insured with them prior to that cut-off age.  And the annual premium was about 130K baht for the minimum cover of 400K + 40K baht.

Coincidentally, for approximately the past seven years I have had, on term-deposit here, 1,250,000 baht plus a bit of accrued interest.  800K for the obvious reason and the remainder in case of dire necessity.

Of course, rules may have changed in the past couple of years.

I just renewed with an O retirement visa. No need for the 400k insurance policy. Now my broker is saying that I need this also. Doesn't make sense.

I applied for a NON IMM ``O-A`` Visa in February 2021. This was denied to me as I had to show medical insurance covering a full year in Thailand.

I was however offered a NON IMM ``O`` Visa covering 90 days and my current medical insurance in South Africa covered me for that. Having shown proof of income and net worth I was told I could extend my visa for one year once I was in Thailand.

An agent informed me that I could obtain a one year visa from within Thailand for Bhat 14,000 and that I could also get a Multiple Entry visa with that for an additional Bhat 6,000.  ( No medical insurance required).

I think this NON IMM ``O`` Visa assumes that ones net worth implies that one could take care of any medical eventualities that my arise.

This is the way forward for me as I want the freedom to travel as suites my needs. 

6 hours ago, Roymac said:

I applied for a NON IMM ``O-A`` Visa in February 2021. This was denied to me as I had to show medical insurance covering a full year in Thailand.

I was however offered a NON IMM ``O`` Visa covering 90 days and my current medical insurance in South Africa covered me for that. Having shown proof of income and net worth I was told I could extend my visa for one year once I was in Thailand.

An agent informed me that I could obtain a one year visa from within Thailand for Bhat 14,000 and that I could also get a Multiple Entry visa with that for an additional Bhat 6,000.  ( No medical insurance required).

I think this NON IMM ``O`` Visa assumes that ones net worth implies that one could take care of any medical eventualities that my arise.

This is the way forward for me as I want the freedom to travel as suites my needs. 

Ignore the agent.

• Open a Thai bank account (if this is difficult, you could use an agent to assist just with this step).
  • Transfer 800k Thai baht into the account.
  • Apply for the one-year extension yourself (it is not very difficult) and costs 1,900 baht
  • If you want the multiple re-entry permit, and plan to make your first trip out by air, defer buying the re-entry permit until you fly out. Then choose between a single re-entry permit for 1,000 baht or a multiple re-entry permit for 3,800 baht.

If willing to pay for convenience, find an agent that realises you will meet all the official requirements, and just want to use an agent to ensure paperwork is perfect, and arrange VIP queuing to reduce the time spent at Immigration. The cost should be about half of what you were quoted under those conditions. 14,000 baht is normal if using an agent to circumvent the financial requirements for the extension, but you could be surprised at where your extension of stay actually gets processed.

1 hour ago, PumpkinEater said:

If you return with a Non imm OA medical insurance is required.

if you return on a Non imm O only the covid insurance is required.

Ubon Joe will correct me if I am wrong…

cheers.

If you have a new non-o visa based upon retirement you would need the 40/400k baht medical insurance valid for 90 days.

If entering on a extension of stay for a non-o visa entry and a valid re-entry permit the 40/400k baht insurance is not required when applying for a COE at many embassies and official consulates. But some do want it valid for the length of stay you will get when entering the country.

• Thanks 2

UPDATE:

Submitted my COE pre-approval application at 18:32 today (Thursday). 

Uploaded my existing non-O (retirement) stamp, and the 1900 baht immigration receipt, as well as the passport page with the reentry permit, to the D.C. Embassy.

The form also required uploading insurance documentation. I used AXA, which the agent said would not be acceptable.

Received pre-approval email in less than 3 hours. Must be working overtime (having said that, my flight is in 4 weeks and there are only 12 seats taken as of today). Very good service.

Tomorrow I upload ticket and ASQ, and that's it. Print out the COE, get the PCR done day before the flight, and head back home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

UPDATE:

Submitted my COE pre-approval application at 18:32 today (Thursday). 

Uploaded my existing non-O (retirement) stamp, and the 1900 baht immigration receipt, as well as the passport page with the reentry permit, to the D.C. Embassy.

The form also required uploading insurance documentation. I used AXA, which the agent said would not be acceptable.

Received pre-approval email in less than 3 hours. Must be working overtime (having said that, my flight is in 4 weeks and there are only 12 seats taken as of today). Very good service.

Tomorrow I upload ticket and ASQ, and that's it. Print out the COE, get the PCR done day before the flight, and head back home.

Can you give approx all up cost for your ASQ, Insurance, etc etc

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Can you give approx all up cost for your ASQ, Insurance, etc etc

AXA policy for 163 days (until current extension expires) 14,860 baht.

PCR International travel (tons of documents to impress imigration) $125 in San Diego, with a low CT which avoids false positives.

ASQ: 44.5k baht. Could have gotten the same basic room for 36.5 as I had last time, but I wanted some room this go around so I opted for a suite; one bedroom, tub and shower, kitchen. Nice room. Good, hot food served on time, though slightly repetitive menu, and responsive staff.

Also, very quiet. I couldn't tell anyone else was even in the hotel.

1 minute ago, HeijoshinCool said:

PCR International travel (tons of documents to impress imigration) $125 in San Diego, with a low CT which avoids false positives.

ASQ: 44.5k baht. Could have gotten the same basic room for 36.5 as I had last time, but I wanted some room this go around so I opted for a suite; one bedroom, tub and shower, kitchen. Nice room. Good, hot food served on time, though slightly repetitive menu, and responsive staff.

The total is not insignificant.

Not asking anything personal but my guess is this process is done by folk with ties to Thailand. Be that family or whatever.

Personally find it strange that any tourist would come to Thailand with those requirements.

Welcome back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

You could have done the Phuket sandbox and had an ocean view room for that price. And been able to walk around!

The embassy staff must be working through the weekend....

Received final approval Sunday evening at 1930 hrs, less than 72 hours after submitting it.

All done except for covid test, and they asked me to "please download Thailand Plus app, whatever that is....

Total time form initiating application for COE to receiving it was 75 hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1