Knee Surgery

Hi

My mother requires knee surgery but has been refused by the national health service in the UK because she is over weight. The alternative is to pay private at a cost of around 10k. I have suggested to her to come here to Thailand as it is much cheaper and the surgeons are apparently very good. She can afford to have it done both here and the UK but she is concerend that her weight will have an opossite affect on the surgery. She is in a catch 22 position as she can't get around witthout the use of a motorised scooter, and if she has the work done feels it isn't going to be worth it.

She isn't over weight due to over indulgence of food, it's just that her age of 63 and the knee problems prevent her from doing much, she does go swimming occasionally however. I have suggested that if she did undertake the operation that it might inspire her to get moving around, which inturn will reduce her weight. Is this a good idea.

Your recommendations for a surgeon/hospital would be appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Edited by ltdknowledge

How much does she weigh?

I know many overweight people who have had knee surgery.

Also what kind of surgery, is it a total knee replacement or merely corrective surgery?

How much does she weigh?

I know many overweight people who have had knee surgery.

Also what kind of surgery, is it a total knee replacement or merely corrective surgery?

It's total replacement. As for here weight i would geuss at 180lbs, shes 5.5ft.