Bangkok governor rejects tourism minister’s plan to reopen capital on Oct 15

webfact

36 minutes ago, khunPer said:

So compared to the risk of another Covid-wave and lockdown, is some small "any money" for a month or so worth the risk..?

We're still in the middle of the wave. As they are vaccinating more and more, numbers have lowered (not enough I agree).

Now, think about business owners who rely on volume. 1.04% chance of dying from Covid (as numbers stand in Thailand) or 100% chance to close down after getting under so much debt that it'll be impossible to go afloat again. And they'll probably have to keep paying back even after bankruptcy.

You and me are probably not affected by these numbers, but millions here are.

As I said, I'm all for waiting another month if results can be concrete. But you'll have to agree with me that whatever the government says doesn't mean it's going to be real...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

We're still in the middle of the wave. As they are vaccinating more and more, numbers have lowered (not enough I agree).

Now, think about business owners who rely on volume. 1.04% chance of dying from Covid (as numbers stand in Thailand) or 100% chance to close down after getting under so much debt that it'll be impossible to go afloat again. And they'll probably have to keep paying back even after bankruptcy.

You and me are probably not affected by these numbers, but millions here are.

As I said, I'm all for waiting another month if results can be concrete. But you'll have to agree with me that whatever the government says doesn't mean it's going to be real...

I don't have to agree with you...????

Business in Bangkok don't depend that much of tourism as for example the typical tourist destinations like Pattaya, Phuket, Hua Hin and Samui. Bangkok depends mainly on domestic demand. Easing local restrictions might be more important than opening for both domestic commuting from other provinses - commuting people spreads virus - and tourists, the latter are presumably hardly there in huge numbers at the moment. Both Brits and Chinese face quarantine when returning, so they will be next to nothing, and Phuket's number of arrivals during the Sandbox have not been that amazing as predicted.

After 1½ year with various restrictions, then another month, to get the vaccination percentage up, is a relative short period. Based on domestic experience from Bangkok area, a new cluster can easily break out if precautions are not in place, and a new rapid spread of virus might result in further restrictions.

That's the risk I'm mentioning. Is a small increase in financial turnover right now worth it?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, khunPer said:

So compared to the risk of another Covid-wave and lockdown, is some small "any money" for a month or so worth the risk..?

IMHO it is really not worth the risk at all.

17 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

wrong post

• Thanks 1

How much money would flow into the country if "tourists" are allowed to come in without quarantine? I guess billions.

And how many fully vaccinated and PCR pre-tested "tourist" did spread the virus so far? I guess close to zero.

So if you add this up I think the risk is acceptable to let them in.