Dutchman’s lawsuit to strike down higher expat fees at Thai hospitals nears verdict+

TheDutchEngineer

This is about an MRI scan, which at my local city govt hospital this is not covered by the 30b plan for Thais, when we asked 3yrs ago the price, for My  thai wife  5,000b me 10,000b. I expect to pay more than Thais but 100% !  if it was say 20% well ok.  As with our small local hospital to see the Doctor 300b city hospital 100b when I pointed this out to the doctor i was told it is up to the hospital manager to set the prices. As with all Govt places they make there own rules.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Perhaps the Thais you know personally were living in the UK on a Settlement visa or with LTR?  They would pay the compulsory NHS surcharge as part of the settlement process.   Would you be prepared to pay something similar to be able to access Thai State healthcare?

Two on settlement visas and one on a 3 week visit. What is the something similar you mention? The chances are I would, but not to pay the extortionate fees, and try to understand the legal jargon of the thieving insurance companies. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You must have been enrolled in SS while working for at least a year and then elect to continue the coverage (with monthly payment) within 6 months of stopping work.

If you were enrolled while working for the required time period it does nto matter that you no longer have a work permit. Call the SS head office if necessary, or try at a different SS office.

Too late now this was around 5 years ago.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Two on settlement visas and one on a 3 week visit. What is the something similar you mention? The chances are I would, but not to pay the extortionate fees, and try to understand the legal jargon of the thieving insurance companies. 

Something similar to the UK's IHS (Immigration Health Surcharge) where people on student visas or settlement visas pay an upfront fee which entitles them to free NHS services while they're in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Something similar to the UK's IHS (Immigration Health Surcharge) where people on student visas or settlement visas pay an upfront fee which entitles them to free NHS services while they're in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application

That was not the situation here, I accompanied the one on the settlement visa to the hospital for a very minor thing and also went with a friend to pick up the one here for a three week holiday at the airport and we discussed these things.

22 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Except that they make it difficult for you to do so.

I went to my local SS office with company HR, which just happened to be in the same building as the company. They told me to come back after my WP was cancelled. I went back after WP cancelled, again with company HR only to be told "cannot" you don't have a WP.

Did you claim your payments back after the WP was cancelled?

They pay them straight into your bank,the Social Security Office have details of any dates and places of work,along with amount of SS contributions paid in by each employer,if there are any anomalies,such as non payment of contributions,they will call the employer in question to find out why it has not been paid,and get it resolved.

You need to take your passport,and a summary of Employers/Dates,so that they can verify contributions have been paid to SS Office.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

That was not the situation here, I accompanied the one on the settlement visa to the hospital for a very minor thing and also went with a friend to pick up the one here for a three week holiday at the airport and we discussed these things.

The one on the settlement visa would have paid the surcharge, so would have been entitled to free NHS treatment (you can't get a settlement visa without it).  The one on holiday should have received a bill from the NHS if they knew she was only visiting, but in practice it doesn't often work out like that.  If there's an outstanding payment due to the NHS and it's linked to her passport, it may affect any future visitor visa applications.

there is no “discrimination” in this case (that I can see).

if he wants to pay the 30 baht thai nhs tariff then get thai citizenship.

if he wants best foreigner thai SS then get a Work Permit.

if he wants to really go after anti -foreigner discrimination in a meaningful way , start with foreigners not able to legally own land here…..

22 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The one on the settlement visa would have paid the surcharge, so would have been entitled to free NHS treatment (you can't get a settlement visa without it).  The one on holiday should have received a bill from the NHS if they knew she was only visiting, but in practice it doesn't often work out like that.  If there's an outstanding payment due to the NHS and it's linked to her passport, it may affect any future visitor visa applications.

Maybe that's the case now but not 20 years ago.

• Like 1

Dutchie needs to man up and stop trying to sponge off the system. 

In Australia we have family generations, never worked a day in their lives, always looking for a handout. 

What's going wrong with people? 

Pay for your keep. 

Come to Thailand with your pathetic attitude. I'm fed up with this type. 

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

If you are fed up with this type and unhappy reading about it, you have the easy choice in not reading the posts, the slightly harder one of putting the poster on your ignore list or going back home where your whining and moaning attitude is more acceptable and you will have a more favourable audience. The choice is yours alone to make.

Why are you looking for excuses? 

Are you one of those looking to sponge off the 30 Baht Thai health system?

Shame on you 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/18/2021 at 6:28 PM, itsari said:

Rather drop dead than pay that money . Yet i somehow doubt your cover 0f 40 million baht for 10000 baht per month cover . 

Too true  Ive accident cover 5000 a year   then selective /elective out of Thai into Malaysia or India minute fraction of Thai

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 9:58 AM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

All Thais pay a govt. subsidized 30 baht per visit, From cut finger to open heart surgery.

Actually not correct! Sometimes they need to pay more, depending on what is needed to be done.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2021 at 5:42 PM, NightSky said:

I tried to pay into the social fund but as a business owner they didn’t allow it 

is this to justify the higher tier pricing?

it seems that way to me. 

Ah yes, as a director of a company you're not allowed to pay into SS. Ridiculous really and yes probably just to justify a higher price. At the end if the day Thai's only care about money.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 3:28 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

Except that they make it difficult for you to do so.

I went to my local SS office with company HR, which just happened to be in the same building as the company. They told me to come back after my WP was cancelled. I went back after WP cancelled, again with company HR only to be told "cannot" you don't have a WP.

Was very easy for me...just went to Samut Prakan SSO who didn't even ask about wp being cancelled. Just gave them my SS number and told them I want to pay by myself because I had quit my job...no questions asked and was finished in 30 minutes

9 hours ago, fredscats said:

but try for extending visas...other handouts

Just curious

Why would using the NHS effect their visas?

Hospitals do not ask for passports, only name and address, so could give almost any name and address and still get free medical 

Private rooms in our state hospital cost Thais around 800 baht a night

I was told same price but then actually charged over 1600 Baht for private room

When i asked why, was told that is what management has decided the falangs must pay 

Checked out the next morning !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

Just curious

Why would using the NHS effect their visas?

Hospitals do not ask for passports, only name and address, so could give almost any name and address and still get free medical 

If they suspect  certainly will,they will want ID too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

Private rooms in our state hospital cost Thais around 800 baht a night

I was told same price but then actually charged over 1600 Baht for private room

When i asked why, was told that is what management has decided the falangs must pay 

Checked out the next morning !

Same here,as admitted I stated no ICU,also checked out after one night,wanted me in for 3

• Like 1