Dutchman’s lawsuit to strike down higher expat fees at Thai hospitals nears verdict+

TheDutchEngineer

Case makes no sense from limited incomplete article data.

All Thais pay a govt. subsidized 30 baht per visit, From cut finger to open heart surgery.

Cant believe that extends to all ASEAN !  Must surely be a separate ASEAN Tariff ?

Work Permit Foreigners make NHS type contributions so thats their separate tariff.

Non - WP  Foreigners do not pay into thai nhs so thats a separate higher tariff (should be  covered by provate insurance).So far so good. Not Discrimanatory.  Case Unclear.

Even then ,public hospital foreigner tariff costs are roughly one third private hospital costs.

Thats the real injustice scandal.

Even when Insured, always get yourself to the best local public hospital, like Wachira Phuket Town, so you burn through your insured cover limits at one third pace !

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

All Thais pay a govt. subsidized 30 baht per visit, From cut finger to open heart surgery.

Cant believe that extends to all ASEAN !  Must surely be a separate ASEAN Tariff ?

Work Permit Foreigners make NHS type contributions so thats their separate tariff.

Non - WP  Foreigners do not pay into thai nhs so thats a separate higher tariff (should be  covered by provate insurance).So far so good. Not Discrimanatory.  Case Unclear.

You just failed to understand the article. The article has nothing to do with insurance.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Even then ,public hospital foreigner tariff costs are roughly one third private hospital costs.

Thats the real injustice scandal.

Even when Insured, always get yourself to the best local public hospital, like Wachira Phuket Town, so you burn through your insured cover limits at one third pace !

You must have been enrolled in SS while working for at least a year and then elect to continue the coverage (with monthly payment) within 6 months of stopping work.

If you were enrolled while working for the required time period it does nto matter that you no longer have a work permit. Call the SS head office if necessary, or try at a different SS office.

• Like 1

As I have always said, if you can't afford health insurance to be here, or self insure because health insurers won't insure you due to age or pre-existing conditions, then it's no point in crying over spilt milk.

He is complaining over being charged a few extra hundred baht, welcome to Thailand mate.

While I admire his courage, he will not win, suffice to say if he does, then maybe some of us should have a go at the private health insurance companies for the amounts they charge us per month to cover us, starting at 10,000 baht per month for me, but then again, the 10,000 baht per month covers me for 40,000,000 baht, so best I shut up.....pay for what you expect....no public hospitals for me, I'm special ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, tonymontana32 said:

Actually it's possible for non wp holders to pay into social security here, providing that they did previously hold a wp.

I tried to pay into the social fund but as a business owner they didn’t allow it 

is this to justify the higher tier pricing?

it seems that way to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

You must have been enrolled in SS while working for at least a year and then elect to continue the coverage (with monthly payment) within 6 months of stopping work.

If you were enrolled while working for the required time period it does nto matter that you no longer have a work permit. Call the SS head office if necessary, or try at a different SS office.

Agree I tried to enroll after retiring but SS office in Sri Ratcha said no can do. Following week went to the SS office in Rayong and was done and dusted it 30 Mins no problem at all

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

As I have always said, if you can't afford health insurance to be here, or self insure because health insurers won't insure you due to age or pre-existing conditions, then it's no point in crying over spilt milk.

He is complaining over being charged a few extra hundred baht, welcome to Thailand mate.

While I admire his courage, he will not win, suffice to say if he does, then maybe some of us should have a go at the private health insurance companies for the amounts they charge us per month to cover us, starting at 10,000 baht per month for me, but then again, the 10,000 baht per month covers me for 40,000,000 baht, so best I shut up.....pay for what you expect....no public hospitals for me, I'm special ????

Rather drop dead than pay that money . Yet i somehow doubt your cover 0f 40 million baht for 10000 baht per month cover . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, itsari said:

Rather drop dead than pay that money . Yet i somehow doubt your cover 0f 40 million baht for 10000 baht per month cover . 

I wouldn't be telling my wife about insure cover that size. I'd be nervous about her dropping something in my morning tea! 

• Haha 2

It will only make the public health system more expensive. 

Bloody foreigner's rocking the boat. 

If you ain't got the money or health insurance don't come to Thailand. 

The Thais wages are very poor, they don't get paid well, if it costs more for medical Thais will suffer. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

I was always afraid to have an accident and be unconsciouss. How can I ensure that they know I have medical insurance and dont end up in the village hospital in the cellar. Or am I beeing mistaken and treatment is equally good for critical patients? Thanks!

13 hours ago, itsari said:

Thank you for your comment, I hope your calculations are better than your choices.

$1.2 million USD cover x 33.35 on Wise today = 40,020,000 million baht, believe what you will. 

If you knew much about health cover the policy charges increase as your age increases, and I am still in the affordable range 59-64 age bracket, suffice to say, I would rather not drop dead than pay to have private hospital cover.

We each make our choices, best of luck with yours.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, rbkk said:

I think you missed the whole point on this one. It has nothing to do with money or insurance. It is all about the discrimination,which is illegal under the constitution.

I missed no point, it all has to do with money, and as you will see when the ruling is handed down, he will lose because the charges have nothing to do with discrimination.

Discrimination here in Thailand is widespread and there are a few grounds for it, now if the courts are corrupt as they say they are, do you seriously believe that they will allow a single farang to win, for starters, he is not a Citizen and would probably have a better chance of going to the international courts, but I am sure he will be waiting a decade, if they even decided to take it on.

Origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view.

Edited by 4MyEgo

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thank you for your comment, I hope your calculations are better than your choices.

$1.2 million USD cover x 33.35 on Wise today = 40,020,000 million baht, believe what you will. 

If you knew much about health cover the policy charges increase as your age increases, and I am still in the affordable range 59-64 age bracket, suffice to say, I would rather not drop dead than pay to have private hospital cover.

We each make our choices, best of luck with yours.

If You knew about health cover ? I know enough that the 40 million baht the insurance company has ready for you is not always as it seems . Make a claim and they will often say goodbye .

Like you wisely said its your choice .

I have good health and that is good fortune . I am 68 years of age and have decided to use my good fortune for the future .

13 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

The Thais wages are very poor, they don't get paid well, if it costs more for medical Thais will suffer. 

More wisdom on who should and shouldn't be allowed in Thailand . 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

As long as Thais get free medical treatment in the UK using money I contributed as a tax payer, I will have no qualms if I could avoid paying for any treatment I get here in Thailand. Also, before anyone comes on and says they don't. I have known personally Thais who were getting free medical treatment in the UK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

As long as Thais get free medical treatment in the UK using money I contributed as a tax payer, I will have no qualms if I could avoid paying for any treatment I get here in Thailand. Also, before anyone comes on and says they don't. I have known personally Thais who were getting free medical treatment in the UK.

Perhaps the Thais you know personally were living in the UK on a Settlement visa or with LTR?  They would pay the compulsory NHS surcharge as part of the settlement process.   Would you be prepared to pay something similar to be able to access Thai State healthcare?