Thailand to be connected to China by rail - developments in trade this year - High Speed train finished 2028

webfact

2 hours ago, relax33 said:

The China to Europe n China to Russia trains have been running for a few years now, be really nice to take those when covid ends ...

One of my few regrets in life... I used to dream of travelling overland back to the auld sod. With a wife and son, I doubt that'll materialize. 

9 minutes ago, gearbox said:

The train to Kunming via Laos will be great,  but inevitably some of Laos charm would be lost. When countries become more developed they do lose some of the old "wild frontier" charm.

I'm glad I got a glimpse of north Laos years ago just as the tourist hordes were descending on it. Magnificent scenery!! Beautiful people!! So simple, like a piece of heaven on earth. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

High speed rail is desperately needed here. And it is quite obvious the Thais cannot do this on their own. Way, way over their heads. 

Just about everything is way, way over their heads. Including the building of functioning websites, as we have seen over and over again. It's a 1990s society (and I'm being generous there) with a few tall glass buildings.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Looking at china, their crackdowns on everything, how they not want any money to leave the country, i am not even sure chinese will be allowed to come here in the future...

Maybe only customers of a state company which owns the hotels and other facilities so that revenues from Chinese tourists will will go back to state coffers instead of tourism capitalists.

9 hours ago, djayz said:

I think the concept/project is a great development for the region. It should also help to reduce the number of lorries on the roads, many of which are not roadworthy and/or belch out thick, black fumes, not to mention just how recklessly some of those vehicles are driven. 

It should cut down on delivery times, road accidents and be a little more environmentally friendly. 

I'd love to take the train one day from here up to Kunming (I know passenger services are not planned until much later). 

This new line will serve only a few cities, so I don't see how it improves much on the existing rail network for goods distribution. It might be useful for supplying Chinese factories built along the line in Thailand with parts for assembly to export products on to US, etc.

6 hours ago, fvw53 said:

Suppose one train carries 2000 passengers

How hours will be needed to pass the Lao passport and customs and then the Chinese border....all the time reduction of high speed may be lost

I prefer an airplane

Maybe there could be an express that doesn't stop in Laos.

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I hope, it will be the Chinese who do the routine maintenance of the trains and the rails. If it's done by Thais we will see horrible accidents.

I would imagine that would be part and parcel of the understanding. 

Reckon the Chinese know this as well. 

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

One has to use a vast amount of imagination to envision Thailand with a nationwide  high speed rail network, a space program, nuclear power, anything resembling a democracy, or a progressive and forward looking leader. 

And don't forget the world leading mouthwash innovation.

5 hours ago, Khabib said:

The other great investment, is shrimp buffets near the railway stations, priced based on consumption 

Must demand payment in advance. Otherwise there will be 1001 excuses for not paying. Anyway, they will have their own restaurants.

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

Thailand's new trains from Chiang Mai to Bangkok are so slow and uncomfortable.

Even Tibet is more advanced than Thailand now. They put a coin on the high-speed train and it doesn't fall...

I heard that in some place north of Lhasa the pylons are sinking. It might be due to global warming.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, djayz said:

I think the concept/project is a great development for the region. It should also help to reduce the number of lorries on the roads, many of which are not roadworthy and/or belch out thick, black fumes, not to mention just how recklessly some of those vehicles are driven. 

It should cut down on delivery times, road accidents and be a little more environmentally friendly. 

I'd love to take the train one day from here up to Kunming (I know passenger services are not planned until much later). 

"It should also help to reduce the number of lorries on the roads, many of which are not roadworthy and/or belch out thick, black fumes, not to mention just how recklessly some of those vehicles are driven."  Wishful thinking but I don't see it happening here in Thailand.  

9 hours ago, fvw53 said:

Suppose one train carries 2000 passengers

How hours will be needed to pass the Lao passport and customs and then the Chinese border....all the time reduction of high speed may be lost

I prefer an airplane

By the time the project is fully built, there may not be any border between China and its provinces of Laos, Cambodia and Thailand...

"Ultimately this will form part of the connection between Bangkok and China. "  as it says in the OP.

• Like 1

"From December cross border trade is expected to increase with goods coming from China to Thailand though in later years it is expected that passengers will be able to travel between the three countries"

Roughly translated to, "<deleted> loads of goods breaching copyright laws, dangerous electrical equipment, not to mention 'black money' and possibly drugs, not to mention human trafficking when passengers are allowed to travel, which will open yet another avenue of graft.

To be frank I really couldn't care less about the future of Thailand or indeed but it would be ashame to watch it overrun by Chinese.

• Like 1

They talked about high speed trains to cnx for years,I believe they still talk about it or planning it.What is the route they taking via cnx or issan.I know Thaksin or his family brought lots of land because they knew about a second airport being built in cnx.As far as i know no second airport as yet but they wait for when it happens like the train to china

7 hours ago, relax33 said:

Actually, its the US who had turned a blind eye to allow feudalism n massive corruption to prevail in  regimes that it fostered n backed in Asia  (including those in  the ASEAN countries) .
Ultimately,  many of these regimes fell apart one after another (eg the South Vietnamese govt in VN, KMT in China) following local discontent at the massive inequality that engendered .
They now have the chance to do right by sending troops to Burma n to support feeble protestors who r being blatantly bullied n taken down by unfair local laws in other countries ( including in those that we r truly familiar with) but have chosen not to pursue the righteous path  ..

Thailand was and is a vasall of China

14 hours ago, mahtin said:

Think long-term, think takeover.

The Chinese will no longer have to fly their troops tourists in.  They will be able to high speed rail them in a division at a time. 

Remember the "Good old days" in 1956 watching all the Russian "tourists" flood into Budapest in their new tourist vehicles known in the West as the T-54 battle tank.

If we can read about current history, why do we seem insistent on repeating the bad parts?    It seems like the only people with a long term goal all want to be "God" of the world.

Shy]te  ... time for a beer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

They were talking about this railway in 2004. 

It's not just talk this time.  It will be a several years before they get to Nong Khai but the first phase to Nakhom Ratchasima is going full steam ahead.

shutterstock_1505596184.jpg

Edited by shdmn

20 hours ago, djayz said:

Yes delivery times will be cut down.  The Fake goods can now come straight to us without going through Burma first.

• Like 1